Remove "Good Day"

This patched added the “Good Day” phrase on ATC. Seems a bit out of character for the NA region. Can we make it happen less often or remove it all together?

5 Likes

But, it’s kinda accurate IRL, particularly when transitioning ARTCCs.

5 Likes

It just seems to be said after ever Controller phrase… At least reducing the frequency of the phrase would be an improvement. Its a minor complaint, and they have far better things to deal with at the moment but just wanted to get it on the forums.

1 Like

Hi @Aristarcus86.

As it stands ATC doesn’t take into account any regional differences (i.e. regions that more stricktly follow ICAO format, vs USA). There are topics in #self-service:wishlist for this and other improvments like accents. I suggest you use the search function to find those topics and vote there :slight_smile:

3 Likes
2 Likes

True…they could randomize it. But that’s true of 90% of the verbiage they use, especially the ramp operations stuff which has always been cumbersome.

If anything it’s actually more common in NA than EU.

4 Likes

Thanks for your input

I’d say it’s actually quite common in North America.

More random would feel natural though. And a bit faster. Usually it’s like “g’day” not “goood daay.” I feel like ATC comms could be sped up 120% in general.

11 Likes

You bring up an interesting suggestion. Would be a nice feature to be able to adjust ATC spoken speed in the menu’s.

Well, if Paul Harvey is your controller, “Gooood day!” may be appropriate.

(I’m dating myself with the reference, I know.)

“Cessna 843 Kilo Alpha, you have an aircraft at your 2 o’clock, level, 2 miles, and now you know…the REST of the story.”

11 Likes

Out here on the US east coast, you’ll often find ATC and pilots alike using phrases like “Good day” or even “See ya!” I am not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but it seems normal enough. As others have said, it’s usually only said when getting handed off to another freq, and it’s usually said very quickly at the end of their last transmission. In a sense, it’s almost a replacement for “Out” which signifies that this is your last transmission on the radio.

As for how it’s implemented in the sim, it’s clunky and feels weird, just like the rest of the sim ATC, so in that sense, it’s working great! sarcasm intended

3 Likes

While not proper I’ve heard “…departure thirty-thirty nothing see yuh!” while flying online.

I can understand “good day” can be annoying… but I’d say it’s probably more annoying for all the non-American players having to put up with everything being spoken with an American accent. :stuck_out_tongue:

I expect an ATC overhaul will be the main feature of a future patch somewhere down the line. Hopefully it will add more regional accents, as well as improved terminology.

4 Likes

“So long!” is another big one.

1 Like

I don’t think it should be removed, perhaps the frequency and randomness of greetings could be implemented instead. To be honest, I probably have heard more greetings than not in recent years - maybe not the “goooood day” however! If I’m swapping freqs I’ll usually tell the controller to have a good one or just “see ya”. :stuck_out_tongue: I think my favorite I’ve heard was a turbo commander who signed off with “byeeeee” to Miami center. Lol

I actually quite like it.

I’m flying in Africa almost exclusively at the moment and using MS local voices rather than Azure (can’t remember which US Lang voice pack I have installed but it’s got some great accents…one of my ATC guys sounds like Boss Hogg from Dukes of Hazard and another sounds like he smokes 2 packs of cigarettes a day…it’s much better than Azure…and now they say “good day” too.

I’m totally ok with it.

3 Likes

I think it adds a touch of realism, but I agree that it does feel clunky in its current implementation.

If you want to remove it, go to your fs-base\en-US.locPak file and locate these lines:

"ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.0.text": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.0.tts": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.1.text": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.1.tts": "Good day.",

Change them to this:

"ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.2.text": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.2.tts": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.3.text": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.3.tts": "Good day.",

That being said, I have modded my own ATC a lot, and I actually have it written as this, which sounds a lot more realistic:

"ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.0.text": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.0.tts": "Goodday.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.1.text": "Good day.",
  "ATCCOM.AGNT_HUMAN.1.tts": "Goodday.",

Also, any time that AGNT_HUMAN is called, I remove the period from the .tts entries before it so that it is spoken faster. Like changing this:

"ATCCOM.AGNT_AC_ATC_TERMINATED.0.tts": "{callsign_shortened}, ATC services terminated. {AGNT_HUMAN}",'

to this:

"ATCCOM.AGNT_AC_ATC_TERMINATED.0.tts": "{callsign_shortened}, ATC services terminated {AGNT_HUMAN}",'

This is what it sounds like:

Beware that this file will get overwritten with every update, so this has to be updated every month!

CC: @TomZ85 and @Aristarcus86 (who mentioned speeding it up)

15 Likes

I don’t mind the use of the “good day”, but when it’s overused it becomes annoying.

Maybe have it change to “Cheers!” or “Top 'O the Morning” or something? Maybe say “Happy New Year” on Jan 1. Would be nice to have some variety.