Reproducible CTD at Impulse Simulations YPAD Adelaide Airport

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

All flights I have tried from YPAD Adelaide since upgrading to SU9 beta have resulted in a crash before takeoff. I have tried 6 flights using various aeroplanes including XCub. Sometimes it crashes before I even move from parking, sometimes during taxi. I have not made it to the runway yet.
Ever since WU7 I have been getting crashes here, maybe on a 20% frequency, but now with SU9 beta it’s guaranteed every time. I use this airport a lot as it’s my local, so the difference is very clear.
I’ve tried restarting from scratch, and uninstalling and reinstalling the addon from marketplace, but nothing helps.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

n/a

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

With Impulse Simulations YPAD installed from marketplace on Xbox series X
Select departure from YPAD in general aviation parking
Select an aeroplane, such as XCub
Select Fly
Start the plane up
If it hasn’t crashed then taxi to rwy 23.
Switching quick view seems to make it more likely, but is not always needed

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Xbox series X

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Game crashing when loading in. Game crashing when flying in the vicinity of the airport.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

NA

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

literally just load in there and try to fly

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i78700, RX6600XT, 16gb 3600Mhz ram, honeycomb yoke and throttle, thurstmaster rudder pedals

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Thinking that the scenery combined with the local photogrammetry may just be overloading the sim (eg. Running out of ram) I fully turned off all online functionality including PG and everything on the traffic page.

Still CTD within seconds of moving off from parking 2 of 2 tries, so it seems to be something more specific.

Yeah sounds like it. We will just have to wait for the next update?

Hi All,
I appreciate the feedback on our product and I will continue to work to resolve them.

Unfortunately with the Xbox there is currently no crash report system that we can work with to establish what exactly is causing the issue so it really is a guessing game.

We’ve followed the guidelines on our larger buildings when it’s come to the requirement of LOD’s and texturing so I am unsure as to what is causing this.

Currently I have tested it on my PC here with the Beta and have had a large improvement of FPS over the other (live) build I have on the other setup. Both identical systems.

Whilst we’re working on other developments we’re working on a large redevelopment for YPAD and YSBK that will assist to alleviate the stress on devices that run it.

Unfortunately as assumed above the photogrammetry has had a major impact on our product performance whilst photogrammetry is enabled and we’re unsure if the custom aerial has returned on the Xbox now with the SU9 Beta, currently in the beta for PC it has but if the Photogrammetry is still trying to form under the airport on Xbox this could very well be the issue.

I’d be more than happy to discuss this more in a call to gain as much information as possible for a potential fix if one is required, but from what we know the product is functional.

My Discord User is: vLegion_#4742
Feel free to message me there and I’ll be more than happy to try and resolve this as fast as we can.

We appreciate your time for conducting this report and I’lll get it actioned as quick as we can.

Kind Regards,
Josh - Impulse Simulations Director.

I don’t think this issue is connected to SU9. I’ve had 100% reproducible CTD at YPAD since SU7, prior to SU7 no issues, on Xbox.

I reached out to the Impulse team back in December who were very helpful, but unable to resolve the issue.

This was the catalyst airport for me to starting this thread,
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/constant-ctd-s-on-xbox-with-3rd-party-scenery-airports/

Subsequently, I’ve encountered CTDs at many other (now the majority) of other 3rd Party Airports.
So while prevalent at YPAD, this issue runs much wider.

1 Like

Yeah, I believe this is something to do with a memory leak

The hardest thing for us is the fact that we have no report from the xbox. So whilst we can speculate about what may be causing the issue, unfortunately it doesn’t happen for everyone so it becomes more a case by case basis so it is less likely to be just that airport.

We’ve not had many PC crashes at all and usually it’s found to be that the user runs out of RAM rather than VRAM if the application does crash.

Our team are still investigating but without adequate reports I am unable to assure that our product works on Xbox for all users.

1 Like

It absolutely is connected to SU9 beta. Does it only crash on SU9? No, it also sometimes crashed on SU7 and 8 but this was more occasional as I explained in the first post. On SU9 it is a 100% guaranteed crash, in a dozen flight attempts at take off or landing it crashed on every one.

I’ve also been getting a lot more crashes at other airports, including some which are built in. SU9 beta was so bad, especially the 3rd update, I don’t think I’d had a successful complete flight since the third update landed. I had to exit the beta as it was just too frustrating to use.

I’m now back on SU8 and the very first flight I did from YPAD, I started in GA parking, taxied to R23 took off, did a circuit, landed and taxied back to GA with some stuttering but no crash. This was impossible on SU9 so is a clear regression.

I don’t think it’s fair to blame the scenery developers for these crashes. If the scenery overloads the sim and causes some reduced performance then for sure the developers need to scale it back a bit (and this is true of YPAD on xbox). However if the sim crashes that is a bug and that’s on Asobo to fix, and it’s clear that they don’t provide any useful tools for xbox that even lets 3rd party developers try and work around it.

1 Like

Yes on SU8

CTD when starting at YPAD a second time.

Fully agree. I have had the same experience with YPAD CTDs happening on the Xbox (I only have an Xbox, not a PC). It happens usually at the start of a 2nd flight from YPAD. Plus the runway markings so out of scale etc.
The developers advise they are reliant on Asobo to resolve this and it has been fingers crossed that the next Update from Asobo will fix this.

I also have YSSY Sydney airport and that less frequently has a CTD… maybe every 3rd or 4th flight. So not as unstable as YPAD (even though it is a much bigger and more complex airport).

I just purchased Parafield YPPF when it was Discounted and I have not experienced a CTD yet. But have only flown a Cessna there as it is a tiny airport. I see some say the CTDs are with the large airliners, so perhaps that is the case for me so far.

I will experiment with the Cessna at YPAD and YSSY. But it does get tiring being a Tester for these products just to try and work out what is going on. :confounded::man_facepalming:. By the time you find the time and energy to test, uninstall, retest, download again, reinstall, retest… the 14 or 21 days Refund period has usually elapsed :pensive::man_facepalming:

Like I have said above, we rely on Asobo to test and report to us prior to release as they won’t allow the product to go onto the store if it fails those tests.

When we first released YPAD it worked fine on all platforms but it appears that there is being more and more changed in updates across all platforms that isn’t included in the patch notes.

Although YSSY looks complex compared to ours it’s all scaled down because it’s come over from older simulators.

Ours has been built to utilize all of the systems available within MSFS and we’re seeing 50 - 70 FPS on most entry spec machines. Once we’re able to get a report for Xbox crashes we can certainly troubleshoot better for that as it clearly doesn’t happen for everyone.

Kind Regards,
Josh - Impulse Simulations

Do MS collect any crash info they can pass on to you from xbox? It doesn’t seem to submit anything, I’ve tried the xbox bug reporting but it’s not clear if that even collects a stack. I don’t know how anyone can fix a bug without diagnostics and so that just adds to the frustration.

I’m guessing you don’t have an xbox to test yourselves which isn’t surprising but perhaps one thing you could try would be the xbox cloud gaming as I expect that shows the same issue. The cost to try that is insignificant and hands on testing might help you out.

Just loaded up the Spit at YPAD general parking, crashed within 1s of pressing Ready to fly, before I touched anything else. :tired_face:

This was first flight after starting from full clean shutdown.

Second try was fine, took off on 23 and flew to Aldinga, just the usual stuttering on SU8.

Unfortunately there is nothing for us, Our recent product Coffs Harbour was crashing to Dashboard on Xbox and basically they said it needs to be fixed but had nothing other than a video showing it crashing.

They released the third SU9 beta build as the final SU9 update and so as expected this still crashes every time. I moved it to the main bugs section because although it started with the beta it’s now in the live release.

Today I tried landing with a Savage Cub and taking off with a Top Rudder, both Asobo planes and both about as simple as you can get. Only one compass and no artificial horizon between them! Both flights CTD within seconds.

Do you have any other addons running?
I have requested for a stability test to be run on Both YSBK and YPAD, so then I will know if the group experiences the crashing too.

For product support please contact us through our discord or email us at contact@impulsesimulations.com

Just tried this on the new 1.25.9.0 patch today. I went for an approach and landing in a 152 on 23. I flew in and landed successfully I think for the first time since SU9 beta. I was getting all excited and then on the roll out just before the turnoff… CTD.

Oh well maybe another update on another day.