Reverb G2 Sweet Spot Discovery

Put your foot down @CptLucky8 don’t get trampled on haha. :joy:

What use is the render scaling in MSFS if you ignore the AA. Nobody is going to turn AA off are they so knowing what the AA is - is crucial when conveying image quality settings to other users. Haha sorry to stir the pot :slight_smile:

1 Like

It depends. For example I’ve tried using high super sampling lately and in this case, you might find FXAA gives good visuals and better fps.

The idea I was trying is finding the resolution I could reach with the same overall perf as TAA 100, thanks to freeing resources using FXAA instead of TAA, or would there be a super sampling scale with no AA (or FXAA) giving the same visuals as TAA.

I could then write: FXAA300 + SS100* :smiley:

It just makes things simpler to describe in a short form factor anyhow.

*these are not actual figures, just an example.

2 Likes

Yeah having been inspired to try from a few posts I was also looking at FXAA with higher resolution but for me it doesn’t cover up the artifacts as well as TAA so making that clear on your analysis posts was a good call. :+1:

1 Like

As amateur photographer and birdwatcher I can only confirm: when it comes to the optical equipment/lenses usually you get what you paid for. This probably applies to the optical quality of the lenses of the more expensive Index vs. cheaper G2.

1 Like

Most of the benchmarks I’ve seen put the 6800xt at slightly higher performance in frame rates than the non-OC’d 3080. My RX 6800 seems to sit midway between the 3080 and 3070. This is an averaging of FPS performance over a couple of dozen demanding games, including MSFS2020.

I also have a 10850K, but paired with an XFX Speedster Merc319 RX 6800, non xt card. My video card can OC, but not as high as yours. Do you think the OC’ing of your CPU/GPU contribute significantly to your results, or more due to your settings?

My OC on 6800XT puts the performance at 6900XT stock which translates to about 10% over stock. For the current state of the sim, every frame helps. CPU OC will not see a huge gain until DX12 implementation. Only 1 core gets close to 90% and the rest of the 3-4 cores hover around 25-40% usage. If you can push your 6800 to 2500Mhz, you should be able to reach 30-35fps.

One caveat: I am experiencing CTD in VR every flight. Not sure if this is due to AMD driver or the Sim itself. Anyone experiencing the same?

2190Mhz is the ceiling boost clock for my card. Not sure what my FPS is, but on most settings I’ve tried it seems pretty smooth with only a few settings producing stuttering or jittery motion. So far few of my flights have ended with me just leaving the game w/o a CTD, the most recent being a sunset soar around Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria in a Citation jet. Flew around that region for quite a while trying to find a runway and attempt landing. Maybe because it was night time?

BTW, AMD just released a new driver: 21.2.3 on 2/17

I am on 21.2.3. They have not fixed the issue.
You should be able to overclock manually to at least 2400Mhz. 2190Mhz is probably what the Radeon software is telling you as boost frequency, correct?

Thanks for this detailed post, it is really helpful to me as someone who is looking to buy a PC and headset for VR and is trying to understand the differences and the benefit of spending a lot of money on a top end system to drive a G2 or Index vs something like a Rift S

The only headset I have ever tried was the Quest 2, and this was one of its own games in standalone mode in a store. Does anyone know how the Quest 2 “perceived resolution” and the size of sweet spot compares to the Index and G2 as described by CptLucky?

+1 can anyone with a Q2 comment using the same seated position in the same aircraft?

Hi CptLucky for your info TonyTazer has just responded on this with a similar image in his thread:

1 Like

Thank you! I wish he could repro with the C172 though, because “seated position” is vague and I’m trying to objectively give the necessary info for comparison in my post, such as what you’d align left/right/bottom in your field of view and what you’d look at. Otherwise someone comparing the same C172 but maybe just and only 10cm backward might find some lettering is less legible. When at the edge of legibility, 10cm sometimes is just what it takes. Nevertheless, his report gives an overall sense of what to expect and in fact he is also putting the emphasis on something important: he can read clearly as large as necessary for the main central 6 pack instruments (albeit in an EFIS form), which I can with the Index too, but I can’t with the G2 which disk of clarity is slightly larger than just the central gauge I’m looking to (the attitude indicator).

It’s the boost clock speed listed in the specs on my card’s web page on the XFX site. I’ve never OC’d PC parts before, so I’ll be spending some time studying tutorials of various natures before doing so.

Good evening, I ask the question here, as I could have asked it on another subject on the HP Reverb G2.
I just bought an RX 6800 XT which I am currently playing with Oculus CV1. With Ultra settings, with the TBM 930 I can fly over a city like Paris between 700 and 1000 FT with 22.5 fps/
On the other hand with the A320 starting from KJFK as long as I am at 11.2 fps it can pass (This is not exceptional we agree) but when the fps fall to 8 it becomes unplayable, but if it does not make me not sick.
The question I ask myself is whether with an HP Reverb G2 with GPUs like the RX 6800 XT, 6900 XT, RTX 3080 or RTX 3090, you have to be content to fly with planes without screens like the Cessna 152, and whether airliners should be completely forgotten, or even airplanes like TB 930.

You should be able to achieve mid 30 fps with 6800XT in most places with TBM930, Citation Longitude. Those are two glass cockpit I use for long flights. With steam gauge in non-photogrametry area, I have no problem getting buttery smooth 40+ fps. Reverb G2, if you get a working unit, is the best visual experience you can have at the moment. Per the topic of this post, you will have to learn to move your head instead of eyes to get the clarity in the sweet spot. 6800XT is generally not a good card for Oculus as the card is missing a decent hw encoder. I had a very rocky start with G2 and AMD GPU (incompatibility, CTD - still happening), but I am at a point where I can no longer fly in 2d because of the scale and depth perception.

@Gsx31 Please don’t highjack topics with unrelated posts. You’re raising valid questions but this is not the subject matter, and if you don’t want creating a new topic for your question, there are plenty others already debating the G2, the 3090, etc… I’m sorry if this sounds blunt but this is easier for everyone if this topic at least, stays on focus (no pun intended), not because I’ve started it but because it is a very specific subject matter.

@ CptLucky8 You are right, I should have created a new topic on the diffferent types of planes, even though this Sweet Spot with the Reverb G2 gives me a lot to think about whether to take it or not. Since I have never had any other helmet than the CV1, I can only imagine what this Sweet Spot must be.
I just put almost 1000 € in a GPU in order to take a Reverb G2, but before I release 600 or 700 € more, I would like to know if it is worth it. To take out so much money, I would like to use it 100%. except it seems that because of this Sweet Spot, we are very far from having 100% visibility.
So that I can get an idea of ​​this vagueness you are talking about, compared to a CV1 is it worse, the same or equal with the quality of CV1

@ Beulah6126 I understood that it is better to have a big GPU, for the Sweet Spot. but does the CPU have a role with the Sweet Spot. At the moment I have a Ryzen 5 3600. Will it be enough, or better to switch to a Ryzen 5000 series, because I see you have a 10850K with your 6800 XT

thank you

CPU will have no impact on the sweet spot. As CptLucky8 already explained, if the sweet spot is the main concern, I think Valve Index will serve you better, or even Quest 2 (which I owned for about 2 weeks). The greatest gain in visual fidelity will come from your GPU. Reverb G2 really has the highest fidelity in the center, but as many have already expressed, the circle of clarity is much smaller than other headsets. You will just have to get used to turning your head to focus rather than moving your eye balls. As much as I enjoy the G2, there is still room for improvement. I am hoping Valve Index will be updated with the G2 resolution soon.

2 Likes

Newbie Alert…
I’ve just gotten my G2 and think I was expecting a sharper image/bigger sweet spot.
Now I suspect I am far from having it set up in an optimum fashion.
Can someone explain the various settings you are tweaking and where to set them please?
For example, 70% TAA, 100% OXR, Render Scale. etc. There seem a load of things to get right and configure what wit settings in Windows Mixed Reality, Open XR (am I even using that - i say that because I saw thiis page https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018555179-How-to-install-OpenXR- which states no action needed for WMR headsets - so not installed), in Flight Sim itself.
If some kind soul can just point me to something that explains these for a beginner, that would be most helpful.