Reverb G2 with 6800XT Crashing

I have a 6800XT and a Reverb G2 and it generally works well but I get a lot of crashes to desktop. Every time I log a crash report to AMD in the hope it might help fix it.

Curious if others with this combination (or other combos) are getting a lot of crashes in VR. Runs fine in normal mode.

I also got a 6800XT (Sapphire Nitro+) in combination with a G2 and a 5900X and it is running super stable. Already had lots of other problems, so I feel with you. This is the (felt) first time that something went fine out of the box for me.

What settings are you using and what sort of FPS are you able to achieve? I’m expecting my 6800XT Nitro+ to arrive tomorrow and I’m really curious what to expect.

I’ve been using a GTX1080 with my G2 and obviously there are serious limitations but I was actually very surprised at how well it ran and how good it looked.

I’m going to be seriously hampered more on the CPU front I suppose (i5 6600K @4.5GHz) but hopefully the whole system will get an upgrade come the summer.

Same here with a 5500 XT. Likely the game itself.

I am getting 29fps with my HP Reverb G2 running at 100% render scale. In order to correct for cylindric distortion, 100% means it renders at roughly 3200p!!! Everything else than render scale is set according to the bang for buck tutorial.

The picture is super sharp and as long as I don’t fly aerobatic, it does not stutter. At less than 100% render scale, it will be minimally blurry (hard to notice) and there is almost no difference between 70, 80 and 90%.

For 1080p at everything set to maximum, I can play with at least 45fps.

Same with me with a 5600 XT. Add few crashes with AMD driver time out msg then found something on the net to add tdrdely to the windows registry (basically introducing a delay for the graphic drivers). I have still have crashes but I don’t have the AMD driver time out msg anymore. But I still can’t enjoy the VR experience. First time I tried the G2 was on the bush trip in Patagonia. I flew for 1 hour then crashed with the AMD driver time out message. But now I can’t fly more than 5-10 minutes without crashing to desktop or even worse once it crashed the whole system. But no driver time out msg. Not sure if the tdrdelay is causing that. I will probably remove it. I have created a new thread in General so hopefully someone will have an idea that could also be beneficial to you.

Hi I was getting a few CTDs and still get get them now, I get less now after I changed my page file size from automatic to manual.I set it to 18 gig and it only crashes now after I land sometimes at a new place when I have been flying for awhile.

After a recent BIOS update I started getting less crashing but still often, usually when switching off VR at the end of a flight. I just installed the new Radeon driver which has a stability fix for the G2 and it appears to be much more stable so far.

1 Like

I’m really starting to freak out with this. I was hoping the march 9 update would fix it but… same thing. Crash to desktop after about half an hour of gameplay with the G2 and 6800xt. I want my sim back!

Its been better since the AMD Driver update but still getting them.

Same, basically lost all hope of VR play for the forseeable. Only really bought (overpaid) this GPU so I could enjoy a half decent frame rate in VR and it’s been unusable. As nice as it all looks on Ultra on the monitor it just doesn’t compare, the Spitfire in VR is truly incredible.

1 Like

Mine either crashes within 15-20mins or i can play for hours.

I have switched sides 3 weeks ago from a AMD 5700XT to a RTX 3090. I never had a crash since. Before I could sometimes fly for 1 hour and sometimes fo 5 minutes before the sim froze. The performance in VR was ok (I had AMD GPUs for years). I think, its a driver issue on AMDs side with msfs. DCS and other sims worked fine on my 5700.

Lately i’ve been crashing from 5 minutes in, to up to an hour. 6900XT (virtually the same as 6800XT) which does not crash in anything else - VR or otherwise.

Recently got reprojection (30 frames to 90) to work beautifully, so i’m willing to hang in there or try possible fixes. With reference to previous poster - yep I came from nvidia RTX2080 which did not crash in VR at all… but ran like molasses compared to this 6900XT.

It is a compatibility issue between the driver and the sim. I’ve tried everything and have not found a solution. My 2D no longer crashes, but the VR mode is sure crash usually after about 30-45 minutes, but I just crashed in Balkan bush trip with XCub after 2 minutes. Keep filing bug report in via zendesk and also with AMD bug report tool. Otherwise, we will be stuck with a VR headset and highend GPU that crashes every single flight. There are so few who own both the G2 and the 6000 Radeon cards. I am afraid AMD/Asobo will ignore this as an isolated case and never bother to fix it. AMD has been notorious for looking the other way unless there are enough complaints that may damage their brand value.

You are lucky to be able to fly for up to 45 minutes, if I exceed 20 minutes, I can be happy. I even have the impression that the more it goes, the more it gets worse.
I send a report to AMD with each crash, I saved the message, and I add the links to this topic. But it would be better if all the subjects were grouped together

MSFS 2020 virtual reality crash - HP Reverb G2

HP Reverb G2 VR Headset - Bad News for AMD Motherboard Users

CTD fix for Reverb G2 and AMD GPU users

Me too on my side, I tried all the solutions that I could find via Google, but nothing works.
https://www.malekal.com/resoudre-le-pilote-a displays-amd-ne-repondait-plus-et-a-ete-recupere/

I wonder if THE solution might not be to mount a
[USB 3.0 PCIE Card] (Amazon.fr

I am disgusted to have spent so much money, not to be able to benefit from it!

I have found that NOT having the adrenalin SW installed and only using the recommended driver appears to have solved all my issues. I also have my security SW program to run quiet mode whenever MSFS is started. Smooth so far for more than 50hrs of flying.

2 Likes

You give me hope …
However, how do you install the driver without installing Adrenaline?
What is SW?

Going to give this a try, fingers crossed it fixes the issue, as it’s been driving me nuts!

SW … software, in my case Nortons. Download the AMD cleanup utility from their website to remove the software product and this should leave the driver behind. I found I had regular CTD/stutters/wattman crashes whenever the radeon software was installed and ‘managing’ the GPU. Since removing I have no further issues and great performance. current driver I am using is A_20_12_1_Win10_64. Alternatively, you can rollback to the generic windows display driver (from 2006) and then update the driver via windows update which should give you the latest(recommended) driver - which may NOT be the latest release from AMD. Good luck.

1 Like