Rift S - flashing white light

I’m suddenly getting constant flashes as of today. I deleted everything from my community folder to see if it made a difference, but it doesn’t. I used to have to be the occasional flash like once in an hour, but now it’s every second or more when I’m at an airport, and somewhat less when I’m up in the air.

I’m installing a new nvidia driver as we speak and see if that makes a difference (eta: it didn’t)… but it’s still weird how this is suddenly an issue for so many people now.

The flashes also happen in the menu system. Especially after I click ‘Fly’ during the loading screen, the flashing is incessant.

The flashes can be seen on my monitor as well. It’s as if the camera skips back and forth between 2 positions.

I5 9600K, RTX 2070, 16 gb ram, latest NVidia driver (461.40)

I hope Asobo has a look into this asap.

5 Likes

Disabling beta works for me

Thanks that works with me

I seem to remember that I had beta enabled to get rid of some other problem… lol… Oh well, let’s see what happens

ETA: Disabling the beta works for me as well. There are still the occasional flashes, but at least they’re back to their old infrequent level again. It seems a new oculus driver was released today, causing all the havoc, so I guess reverting to non-beta brings us back to what was previously the beta.

2 Likes

Same problem with me after updating oculus latest updates. If uncheck beta option, will i have face small black square on screen again?

No, that appears to have been fixed in the non-beta version.

There are still some very occasional white flashes, but still worth unchecking the public beta box.

1 Like

Just re-confirming here as well that the following approach solved all these new flashes and stutters for me:

1. Deactivate Beta participation in the Oculus PC app settings, tab “Beta”
  2. Deinstall Oculus software from PC
  3. Download fresh from Oculus and install again

I checked it and it solved it all, had just a wonderful, smooth and flicker-free test flight in the MB339 over the alps, in love again!:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Good idea going to reinstall ASAP

Uninstalling and reinstalling didn’t fix the flashes for me. I still get them, but there are fewer in the non-beta than the beta.
Just an FYI for anyone that was thinking of doing the re-install.
– on a 3070 with 461.40 drivers –

Glad is wasnt just me! Thought something in the sim update went wrong!

Exactly the same problem for me since today. :confused::angry:

I can also confim this issue here with my Rift S.

Using

Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3080 ( Non Overclocked Mode Set )
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
OPENXR OCULUS ( Tested Steam OPENXR also but this doesn’t works at all and messes up all and everything in FS 2020)
GFORCE GAME READY 461.40
No Changes in Oculus Service app and i do not use Oculus Tray Tool.

It is slight better when Oculus Beta is off but i still get flashes every now and then after having reinstalled the Oculus Software / deactivated Beta in Steam and Oculus.

Really annoying and a Solution cannot be we all remove Beta in Steam and Oculus since it is working good with other Games
with Steam and Oculus BETA for me.

I opened a ticket at Zendesk and if everyone who is affected might open a Ticket too, this would
hopefully help to get this adressed and fixed soon.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Downgrading from the beta didn’t completely fix it for me either but reduced it massively.

Went from every 20 seconds even in menus to roughly once every 2 minutes only in game.

-5700xt on 20.12.1

I reinstall the Oculus Software, install it again and didn´t cofirm the update. Then it runs well again. Furthermore I unchecked the Beta PublicTest Channel.

yes, like here, it looks like flashes from some open window in the vr, I felt it.

Me too, but today was the first time I played in VR since World Update 3.

I can verify I had the same issue.

I uninstalled the oculus software the reinstalled but made sure Beta was turned off and the white flashing is pretty much gone.

Thanks guys!

An update just posted on the Oculus app, and it has fixed the flashing! Next time you load the Oculus app, it shold guide you to install it. Works smoothly and perfectly now, at least for me.

1 Like

thats interesting, no update is showing up for me. What version is your app now? I’m 26.0.0.39.502

Interestingly I have this version : Oculus App Version 25.0.0.57.658 (25.0.0.57.658)

So i figured out what happened. When you roll back the Beta setting , Oculus downloads the version above, which seems quite stable with the new UK update.

But if you turn on the beta/ public channel, Oculus updates the app to ‘Version 26.0’.

I do seem to get less stuttering now even in the version 26 ( public beta app), when i reflew again today.

But i am going to keep it at the official , non beta/public version 25, as it seems more stable to me .

Hope this helps