Roll PC version back to SU4

First of all this is not ‘the easiest way’ since it also has to run on xbox. As far as losing a huge chunk of the pc user base. Well if that’s gonna happen, they did it to theirselfs so not sure how we need to worry about that. If you don’t like it, feel free to not play anymore. But since i paid for it, and there’s no way we’re getting a refund after all this time my only option is to stick with it, and hope for these new optimizations to be a more suitable base to continue building on instead of going backwards and stick with all the old fsx coding wich was allready limited.

Yes it is a mess now, but sometimes you need to make a mess before cleaning up. My only hope is that this won’t take another year and asobo got the message we’ve all been sending after su5 and people are seriously (understandable, me included) p*ssed about the way things are going. But going backwards is a bigger waste of time.

2 Likes

These are layers from Bing, it need to be fixed, but you need to submit these area, these stuff don’t happens often, only on specific area. There was a lot more at release now less.

That was just one little example. SU5 is a disaster all around.

6 Likes

They won’t ever go back to SU4, and that is a good thing. No problems on my side, cloud quality is lacking and the popping in is distracting. But since I have now super smooth landings on major airports I take it.

3 Likes

These stuff was since release… It’s Bing layers, not the hole planet is covered from Bing, and still not all area are fixed on layers, there is so much to discover.

2 Likes

Yes, I am reasonably sure that we will as well. The XBox release had to happen as scheduled so I guess Asobo had no choice but to do what they did to make it happen on time. That undoubtedly led to several compromises.

Concerning the graphics and also the reduction of memory usage and considering the upcoming DX12 compatibility I’m confident that graphics will be addressed (even though I still think it’s really not as bad as people complain about)

In any case: most (no not all) of the stuff people complain about can easily be rectified by editing the usercfg.opt file. Check this thread:

This thread shows that not all is as bleak as the current atmosphere here in the forum makes it out to be. It would be nice if people were a little more solution-oriented. It’s easy to complain, rant, whine and bleat. But it’s not helpful.

One of my professors said to me once: “dumb people search for problems - intelligent people search for solutions.”

4 Likes

In other words - instead of insisting on the quality at which you will smoothly land and at the same time the visualization will be at the same level as it was, did you choose the option to simply accept and say “they are deceiving me, but I will be silent”? Interesting life position …

Messing with the usercfg.opt doens’t even begin to fix it.

Most people who are happy with the state of affairs have low end PCs and I can see how SU5 is an improvement for them.

I guess from now on, we need to start accepting that MSFS is best on low end hardware and $300 consoles.

It just hurts to know what the software was capable of in the past and have to contend with Mickey Mouse graphics now.

3 Likes

Why they butchered the graphic options for PC is a mistery. They could add another quality slider…legacy clouds or something like that for the full old quality.

3 Likes

If there a law somewhere that mandates that a high end PC has to run the exact same code as $300 console?

1 Like

See if this helps Settings do not stick since SU5

Lol… yes there’s a law. Microsoft’s law. They’ve said it from the start. This sim will run on xbox and will share the same fundementals on both platforms.

Well, that doesn’t mean it have to look the same as on xbox. But at this moment it does, and you’ll have to accept this untill asobo improves visual quality on pc. Nobody knows when and how they’re gonna do this. But a rollback is not an option.

Btw sharing a “code” between platforms doesn’t mean anything. And it certaintly doesn’t mean the pc version can’t improve massively compared to xbox since it has more computing power. They had to release the xbox version in time, so that’s what they did.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. The XBOX version uses DX12, the PC version is still stuck in DX11. So it’s not the same code on both platforms.

4 Likes

not being a developer I don’t see the problem with running the same code for both.
It just has to include to run a system check on startup and then unlock certain capabilites according to the hardware in use.
From a technical point this is definitely possible. Only from a marketing point of view this might be not desired, as it might result in the impression that MS own console is limited.

It’s not me saying it…

Thats it. Yupp

I don’t see the problem either. But Op apparently does. Hence this useless topic. And about the marketing point of view. I don’t think this is enitrely true, Since many shared platforms between xbox and pc allready do this. So i don’t see a reason why this can’t be done for this game either.

1 Like

Don’t know if rollback is the solution. Maybe just the dev finally stopping to mess up this pretended sim to make it console friendly. And seperate the both version fully

To be fair. So far I haven’t noticed a lot of texture issues. On the other hand I have experienced several other issues. For instance, on the map screen, whenever I zoom in or out too fast the game crashes. Admittedly, I don’t have the strongest PC in the world. Only a 2700x with an RTX 2070 Super and 32Gb of RAM. But I’m pretty sure that should be more than enough to run it without crashing. Especially since I’m only running the game at 1080p. And probably most annoying of all is that quite often both the cockpit and the overhead menu become frozen. Sometimes immediately after loading into an airport. Other times, after flying for a while.

Asobo have said numerous times they’re pretty much going to do just that. Reading the amount of fuss on this forum at the moment they might wish they had added those features right from the launch of SU5 but I guess they understandably just wanted to get SU5 out there and working free of bugs before starting to add higher eye candy capabilities to it.