Runway glitch causes crash

Please make a bug report with Zendesk to push this topic and make it visible for the developers.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Firenze-Peretola (LIRQ), Florence, Italy: Runway 05-23 tear

Is this glitch still happening to you all after the latest update? Havenā€™t had a chance to test it yet.

In the past it has happened once in a while. Today, however, it happened 5-7 times. Everything else with Patch 5 seems to work better with the exception to this issue which seems to have gotten worse.

I only made one flight last night after work and did not experience it, but that is not statistically significant. Iā€™ll be flying more over the weekend and will have to see.

After Patch 5 Update, did a test flight. I could see the RW-Glitch when starting and saw it and did a crash when landing using the Logitude.

Confirmed still an issue after the patch for me as well.

Same, sadly. I made a ~4 hour flight across the country last night into KSFO and my landing was ruined by glitches. The first one right after touchdown bounced me into the air, another one down the runway slewed me off the runway and then, ā€œYou have collided with an object and caused catastrophic damage ā€¦ā€

Interestingly, as was flying the arrival and descending over the California hills, I noticed a few similar glitches in the textures of the hillsides in the distance. I predicted right then to myself that I would experience the same thing on landing and sure enough ā€¦

Does anyone have a workaround besides turning off photogrammetry? This seems to be ruining all my airbus landings in big citiesā€¦ so frustrating!

Not yet. I noticed this issue came up with the patch mid-september. Did someone recognised it already before?

I only noticed it once I started flying airliners and making higher-speed (135 - 160 knot) landings rather than GA landings at <80 knots. I didnā€™t start doing that until around mid-September by coincidence.

If itā€™s truly a rendering issue, as I suspect, that would make sense - any delays in reading elevation data and photogrammetry data, then parsing it to create the runway terrain would be (and is) disastrous.

After around 10+ hours of bug testing I think I have found a decent temporary solution.

You need to restart your game every time you want to start a new flight. I did several tests last night and realized that the issue persists only after you load in your second flight and onward of the session.

For those interested in testing-- restart your sim and then load into any big airliner (preferably the A320NX due to itā€™s complexity/CPU usage) at KPWM (an airport very prone to this issue due to it being right next to a 3D city). Take off and do a pattern - you should have no issues landing. Then, end the flight and load into another 3D area without restarting the sim (this time I chose KORD). Now fly the pattern again and youā€™ll see when you go to land this time the runway glitch will likely be present.

I did these tests both ways at various 3D cities in the A320NX and without fail (ā€¦so far) and have yet to see a runway glitch on the first flight of the session. Iā€™m guessing there is some sort of memory/coding leak in the sim that causes this issue after the first flight.

So now any time I want to start a new flight I plan to restart the game. Yes, this is annoying and wastes time but now flights in the A320NX are enjoyable again. Nothing is worse than ruining a great approach with a runway crack crash.

This was driving me crazy but I think this is the solution for now. I still have yet to test this solution on a long flightā€¦ but I will test this next and report back.

Let me know if this solution works for you guys!

2 Likes

i canā€˜t agree with the first/second flight theory after the start of the game. I flew a test circuit with a freshly booted computer. Same problem.

Thanks for testing. My theory may help the problem, but not fully solve it. Still need Asobo to fix it.

Yes, thank you, too for contributing to this issue. I guess, you are right. and i guess/hope, it will be patched soon.

Had this happen to me at KSEA after 4 attempts I gave up and filed a bug in Zendesk. Very frustrating as I was trying to complete an OnAir ā€œmissionā€.

There is a fix here: Runway Tears Awareness please try it.

Hi,
Does anybody know if this is going to be fixed? I canā€™t see a response from Asobo. If there is one please point me in the right direction. Maybe it is isolated and most people donā€™t have the issue.
Second time in three days where I have landed only for the plane to somersault and crash due to this bug.
1st time at KSAN, 2nd at KSJC. Both payware but issue is still there if you remove them and use default. Tearing visible if you use the drone camera and zoom along the runway. Seen it at KLAX as well.
While I appreciate that there is a fix, I donā€™t feel that I should be doing the fix and by the time you realise the airports need fixed, it is too late.
Donā€™t usually bother with forums but this is a deal breaker for me. I suppose I can enjoy the scenery before I kill all my passengers.

1 Like

I was landing A320 in EDDP right today (latest patch) RWY 08L ILS. Touchdown and while rolling on runway crashed into invisible object - aircraft full crashed. EDDP is the horror for the terrain model. How can I tell ASOBO this airport need fixes to be used?

Zendesk, but I am sure they have gotten hundred of those already submitted for this issue.