Scrolling outside MSFS window still zooms within MSFS

I haven’t seen this reported anywhere else but it’s been bugging me ever since the release of MSFS, the issue is as follows:

I have a pretty big screen (49") so usually I have msfs running in one half of the screen and maps, flightplan docs and browser in the other half of the screen. Now with MSFS in the foreground, when I move my mouse to the second half of the screen and scroll (using mousewheel) in another application that apps scroll but MSFS also zooms. I need to explicitly bring the other application to the foreground in order to stop MSFS to react as well.

I think this is against Windows ‘standard’ behavior. When using the scrollwheel only the window underneath the mouse wheel should react regardless if that app is in focus or not.

Hope the above makes sense, I really hope this can be resolved at some point (or if someone knows of a setting to fix this that is welcome as well of course).

Thanks

You get the same behavior if you have another app on a second monitor. It is annoying.

2 Likes

Frustrates the hell out of me as well. I do not understand why more are not commenting or voting on this … Strange world of MSFS – Press any key to continue + Zoom on any screen to zoom on ALL screens !!

1 Like

Got the same behaviour, very annoying…

Everyone: if this bugs you as well please make sure to vote so we increase visibility and hopefully priority with the developers.

Thanks!

I made the same experience.

I also use multiple monitors.

• MSFS on the main big monitor
  • Other apps on secondary monitor (web browser for charts, music player, comm apps etc…)

I also wish the team could stop the mouse wheel activating outside msfs window

Dual Monitor Tools allows you to “Lock cursor onto a monitor”. It is a complete solution until they modify the game.

As an example you can use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out of Volanta on a second monitor without it using the mouse wheel on Microsoft Flight Simulator. It takes 1 minute to set up.

I might be missing something, but doesn’t this just prevent you from moving your cursor beyond the boundaries of a certain monitor?

The issue I (and believe) others have is that we’re trying to scroll on other windows without MSFS also inappropriately reacting to it whenever it’s the focused window.

I think there might be a semi-tolerable workaround for this by using X-Mouse Controls. This lets you automatically focus whatever window your cursor is currently over, thereby defocusing MSFS and stopping it from zooming when you move your cursor to another window/monitor.

That said, can Asobo please, for the love of god, fix this already. We are talking about a Microsoft title that literally ignores Microsoft’s own fundamental UX standards for Windows apps.

1 Like

Before scrolling, click on the 2nd monitor or application, then scrolling won’t effect the Sim.

1 Like

For other reasons I modified my mouse controls so that zoom is a combination of RMB+Scroll wheel. This will also prevent the problem described.

1 Like

I have tried this workaround (or solution) and it works for me: Clicking on secondary monitors also click in the sim - #3 by Res729014
The topic is related to a different issue with the mouse when using multi-monitors but looks like it can also be applied for the issue reported in this topic.

Can you explain how you configured your DMT?

The only way I see to accomplish this is having to press a toggle key to leave to a second monitor. Is that what you’re doing when you want to scroll on your other monitor?

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

When I move my mouse outside MSFS, without clicking on any window, and I scroll up/down, camera zooms in/out on the simulator. Looks like simulator does not detect that the mouse is “outside” MSFS. For example, if you do the same with a navigator, when you scroll “outside” of it, it does not scroll up/down.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Select MSFS as active window, move your mouse outside (like a navigator, Discord, etc) and scroll up or down. The camera will zoom in/our.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Not relevant for this issue

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

Since MSFS release

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

See my above post Scrolling outside MSFS window still zooms within MSFS - #13 by DementedCorn327, it worked for me. I don’t think it is an issue with MSFS, more likely a Windows configuration that needs to be adjusted.

@DementedCorn327 As the original poster I can definitely confirm that this is not a Windows configuration problem.

It is exactly as in the video that @TheGorge1870 posted, the key problem is that the MSFS window stays in focus (you do not click in the other window before scrolling). Standard Windows behaviour should be that the window under your mouse scrolls and not the window in focus.

MSFS is the only application that I know that does not adhere to this Windows UI guideline. Clearly a bug from day 1 and incredibly annoying (IMO). Hopefully will be picked up now.

Many thanks

Ok, as per your comment I understand that something needs to be adjusted within MSFS to adhere to the Windows UI guideline. Nevertheless did you tried the workaraound ?, meantime the zoom issue is not annoying me anymore.

The workaround works well (at least for me). But it is indeed a MSFS bug which need to be addressed by Asobo.

2 Likes

Actually I did try that and it changes the behaviour for every other application on my system in a way that I can’t get used so…over to Asobo