Settings & Setup guide for the Tobii Eye Tracker 5

I had to add in some eye tracking to smooth out that issue a little so it’s not as bad but still annoying. Eye tracking seems to follow different tracking rules so when I turn my head while looking up a little, the camera tracks better. The other work around is to use “roll” then look up in a corner so I can see through the corner if I’m in a hard bank in a fighter plane. If I don’t roll my head, then the camera sticks and I have to break my neck to get it to move. Roll seems to put me in a different axis that allows me to look up through the corner. It’s hard to explain in text but it seems like there is an axis lock that you need to follow.

EDIT: Just matched the Eye tracking to match the Eye and head tracking balance and that seems to have done the trick. Not perfect but most of my issues have been addressed now. I’ll keep fine tuning to see if I can make it as close to perfect as I can get it.

1 Like

Lack of axis range tuning is annoying, I can apparently turn my neck 270 degrees! if I could reduce that then it’d probably reduce a lot of jittering.

Also - turn your ( in-game ) head 90 degrees & try moving towards your physical screen like you’re trying to look at the seat next to you - the camera does not translate that movement into the game, you’ll move forwards relative to the seat rather than your head.

1 Like

Easiest way to fix that is to tap left or right on your yokes hat switch. I do that if I want to look over my shoulder. Now forward movement is left or right, which feels more natural than looking over your shoulder.

I figured it out in the end. It’s when you use the manual view (with tobi off), when you turn tobi on, it take where ever you moved the view as the new centre.
Easily fixed with a reset view button.

I never turn head tracking off, though, it’s on from the start & very very rarely manually move the camera.

Edit: ah, I see that was really a reply to the thing I was replying to :slight_smile: yeah, resetting the camera is sometimes needed ( I think possibly just ctrl+1 twice will also do it ).

1 Like

Is there a way (key binding?) to turn tobii eye tracker 5 off/on while flying?

1 Like

Yes. I’m not at my pc just now but if your search in the controls, there is an option to toggle either eye or head tracking. I’ll confirm later if you don’t find it in the meantime.

1 Like

‘Just’ beat me to it :slightly_smiling_face:

TOGGLE HEAD TRACKING

You can also remap the Reset Head Tracking - F12 - to something better. I have both Toggle and Reset on adjacent buttons on my throttle quadrant.

The initial camera position when toggling on is a bit janky. My usual process when switching it back on, which seems to work, is: toggle on, hit reset button twice to get the camera position right.

Exact same set up as me - toggle and reset mapped side by side on my Virpil throttle and use two hits of the reset view to get the correct head position in the cockpit. :grinning:

1 Like

You just need to adjust the pitch/yaw sensitivity to calibrate it to the correct amount you would like I was thinking similar it should have a limit on degrees of travel as I don’t have a neck like an owl but the pan sensitivity allowed me to get it where I wanted try going from full to minimum and see the difference.

I do wish pitch and yaw were on separate settings though as well as movement as I’d like to reduce sideways movement so I don’t move outside the plane but to allow enough vertical movement for me I can’t get get both how I’d like them.

1 Like

Do you wear headphones? Just curious as I calibrate Tobii with them on maybe tracking them as head movement?

i’ve done both on and off and even shaved my face. Right now I have it tuned to my liking as long as I follow the limitation of the head movement. It comes down to how they have it coded for MSFS. The eye tracking overrides the limitation to a degree so I have matched the balance around 73-75 with eye responsiveness and it works for me. I just make sure my head and eyes are pretty aligned because looking off to one side can break the immersion.

I’ve turned eye tracking off completely now was sick of trying to click on buttons with the mouse and screen moving about all the time miles better I don’t miss the eye tracking one bit!

2 Likes

Yeah I tried that but it didn’t feel right. For airliners or larger planes like th HJET i dont need it. If im flying acrobatic or planes like the f16 the eye tracking works very well. Without eye tracking its to locked in. I also mapped the IR track off so if I have issues with the controls I just hit a button but I rarely have many issues anymore.

1 Like

Ok, I finally found the Toggle Head Tracking in the controls. Works fine with a button on my throttle quadrant. Now To figure out how to move the reset/center from f12 to something more convenient.

Is there a place I could find directions on how to use the mapping of different buttons and actions. I don’t find that part of fs very intuitive to use. With a few directions on how the whole scheme works, I am sure I could understand it better.

Thank you donka73 and Flying 2Night. Very helpful.

Since Tobii Experience v1.106.0.22200 it’s possible to disable it via a simple click (see pic). How to map this action to a shortcut or assignment that would allow us to freeze the view without resetting it (F12)?

1 Like

REF:

A simpler edited copy, just showing the settings,
(Easy to print on one page and keep as a reference)

=======================================

Has anybody experienced that the Tobi Eye Tracker stops working as soon as the FSLTL injector is activated?

As it happened I just downloaded FSLTL and gave it a quick try.

So far so good, my Tobii ET5 works just fine.

Ok, I’ll have to remove some add ons from the Community folder and try again.