Shimmering scenery & other probs

Hi All,
Sorry if this has been discussed previously.
on FS2020 in VR I am getting shimmering on the scenery, what the cause of this?? is there a setting I need to adjust. horizontal lines on buildings etc appear broken up & shimmering.
The menu in VR is quivering also & appears to be a sort of vibration.?
The other problem is following the update of FS2020 1.21.18.0 its has removed all the updates to my scenery previously updated ie UK scenery, USA etc etc, have had to reinstall. is this normal following the mandatory updates??.
anyone any advice/.

SJ
i7-9700 3Gig:16Gig ram:GTX 3060TI 8Gig: Reverb G2

first it seems there is non or hardly any antialiasing being applied in VR (set to TAA in the sim)

Screenshot_5
second this wobble seems a rather common issue, though either not everyone has it or notice it.
this is not a antialiasing issue but the lines do visibbly wobble in every direction (motion-projection off!)

Hi Ju1ius2416,
thanks for your thoughts, yes the effect is rather light a “barbers pole” .
Its the shimmering which is spoiling the effect for me however.

SJ

Do you have motion reprojection enabled? I think this could be your issue. I can’t fly with it enabled for all the reasons you described. I only fly with it disabled.

Hi mayhem 6633,
Yes I do but will try it off to see if like you its better.

Many Thanks
SJ

I have this issue too but have motion projection turned off always. I’ve tried every setting under the sun. NIS on and off too. I’ve tried many different setting configurations recommended on YouTube videos with matching hardware etc but nothing gets rid of it. I believe its a normal thing to a certain extent with VR but seems to be particularly worse lately.

1 Like

Hi ,
Thanks for the mail, I agree with you…I think we are stuck with this annoying aspect of FS 2020.
The other MSFS’s revisions had the same problem!.
You get to to a point where the constant tweaking is spoiling the enjoyment of flying.
Cheers
SJ

5 Likes

I suspect something else is causing this cause my image is fantastic. I do not experience those weird lines either. Mine are perfectly straight and clear.

using a RTX 3080 and Reverb G2 with amazing FPS and image quality. all on ultra and high settings. 100% resolution everywhere including OpenXR Dev tools.

I hope it helps. I’m rather happy right now as the game is more stable and the visuals are pretty good for me. It’s not perfect and I wish Asobo would give us some love in the near future. Things for sure can be better but fortunately with motion reprojection off I don’t notice wiggly visuals in the game.

I do have the quivering menu issue that you describe though. It quivers much more if motion reprojection is enabled so I keep it off and it seems to be minimized enough that I don’t notice the problem when flying.

No problem.
I agree… sometimes I spend hours tweaking and trying to find fixes and by the time I get around to actually flying I find I have little time left and feel frustrated… which is a shame ad I live this sim and won’t ever give up on it. Especially after spending 1000s on it.
My system is very High end. G2, with 3090 gpu, 64gbram, and i9 10900k cpu. There’s nothing there to suggest lack of ability causing the graininess and shimmering. Although I don’t get wobbly lines, I got really bad zebra effects which move and change as I tilt my head on straight lines in the main menu. In the sim the other day ibwas flying in snowy mountains and the forests in the distance shimmered really badly and looked blurred. I use ultra and high settings and fps is generally around 30 so I’m happy with that and ibrarely get CTDs. It’s just that effect of looking through a shaking screen door that bugs me. It’s worse looking long distance than it is for example if I’m flying over a town and looking down. Make sense?

1 Like

ok Chaps thanks for the feed back,
I think I’m going from bad to worse at the moment… every time I go into VR the sim CTD now.
so have set everything in PC & VR setting to default & will try again .
My graphic card is not GTX as I mentioned its RTX 3060 TI so I should be getting better visuals…even purchased the new slimmer interface for the G2…can’t say its improved the sweet spot however.
will leave it for now… had enough of it at present… hours lost.
Thanks for your replies.

Sj

Not sure if we define shimmering the same way, but that’s a great description of what I saw. I was flying around Honolulu area at roughly 2,000ft, and every object on the ground seems glistering as if it was hot with something almost like sparkling. Terrain detail was 320 and Object detail was 190 at the time. Played with other things like reflections and light shafts didn’t do much.

Then I lowered them to 220/140 ballpark and the shimmering went away.

Just because I can set them high, doesn’t mean I should. At 2k ft or above, getting such details IS in the area of “diminishing return” as I tried to crank up everything.

It’s most likely an antialiasing thing. Switch to the highest settings for a minute (even if the framerates suffer) to see if it gets better.

I also have the wobbling in the cockpit. It’s been like this in MSFS 2020 since the beginning. When I sit in an airplane in X-Plane (VR), it’s like sitting comfortably in an armchair. In the MSFS it’s like sitting on a bike and riding cobblestones …
(G2, 10900k, RTX3090, 64GB, WIN11)

Please vote and contribute on the official bug thread

Yes, that’s how we define shimmering! See the bug thread directly above this post

Have the same problem. Hope there is a fix soon. Iam right now doing more twiking with the setting then playing. Hate it.

It’s so ■■■■■■■ awful. Total immersion breaker. I can’t fly in bright sunlight anymore, has to be dusk and/or heavy clouds to be bearable. Unless you are in an area without trees or buildings…

For over one year I’ve been struggling with these issues on my i7 10700, RTX 3080 and G2.
It pretty much got all solved the other day by simply following Shogoz’s Nvidia Control Panel Best Performance Settings!!
WOW WOW WOW!!
Amazingly smooth, little shimmer, no judders and great fps! It’s everything i had hoped and dreamed about MSFS VR. Just try it and follow exactly, its so ridiculously simple, you won’t believe.

Unfortunately this didn’t reduce shimmer at all for me =(