Sim crashes when zooming in at the worldmap

Thanks SeedyL for the clarification.

Cheers Mark

1 Like

What about the several other ways since the last update that the sim ctdā€™s, but a few ie. exiting a flight, in the middle of loading the simā€¦etc. Itā€™s great that AboezD found the network throttling work-around that resolved these issues, but will these other issues be addressed as well?

1 Like

Trying pretty much everything else, I recalled the 20MB/S limitation, so I re-ran a speed test, and 21mb/s is about all we get here. So I checked the next setting, and chose that, 5mb/s.

Iā€™ll see how that works, because I keep CTDā€™ing when coming in for a landing, and the Internet (lack of) speed is probably getting hammered when coming in for a landing and graphics start kicking in, instead of fading out of finer detail.

Thanks for your findings! Limiting the bandwidth to 100Mbit/s full duplex worked around my CTDs. Before I had them at least 50% of the time when starting a flight. Or, I could start the flight with bing data off, but then when activating it, it would crash. Since I limited the bandwidth I didnā€™t have a single CTD. So hopefully asobo reads along.

1 Like

Since weā€™re spitballing ā€“ my guess is itā€™s a race condition with the downloading: in other words, multiple pieces of the map (for example) are being downloaded in parallel. There are many subtle ways for them to trip over each other in the code.

The 0xc0000005 error basically means that something is going wrong when trying to access RAM. The more bandwidth, the quicker those downloads complete, and more chances there are for timing issues (e.g. one part yanking the rug out from another)ā€¦

In any case with all the CTDs, looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue try the 787 tutorial (Overhaul suggestions for World Map page - #9 by darkmark327)

Iā€™m just going to add myself to the list of users experienced CTDā€™s in the past week, also while zooming in and out of the world map, also sometimes during loading a flight/activity, and sometimes when landing.

Fault Bucket 1211189021504463169, type 5

This happens on 2 different computers, very different hardware. The one thing in common with others is that I have a wired LAN connection to my router with 940Mbps DL/UL speeds.

Since this seems to be, at least anecdotally, solved by limiting speeds to 100Mbps in the NIC settings, Iā€™d suggest then trying to enable Flow Control on your Switch or Router instead if supported. I just enabled Flow Control on the specific port from the Switch to my PC and so far, no CTDs and much smoother terrain loading. Will report back.

also, what I found is when you limit the speed after you start the sim, it will still CTD. I have to limit it before starting up to sim to take itā€™s effect. Could be a coincidence but it seems to be consistent - at least I did not have a single CTD when limiting it before starting up the sim. Maybe on slower connections the sim *chooses" a different server when firing up? Go figure, they will fix it a some pointā€¦

1 Like

Same issue here - spent more time with loading, rather than flying.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s just a coincidence or not but SU14 Beta seems to solve this issue for me. Having weather on the map (default settings, no mod to change any filters) and being on 1Gbps connection the CTD doesnā€™t appear. Tried it on several times so far and it was always reproduceable earlier this way.
So it seems solution is on itā€™s way and the used bandwidth when moving the world map goes well over 100Mbits as it was before.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t have any CTDā€™d loading a flight yesterday after updating to SU14 beta either. Though that was only a few flights. Iā€™ll also test, and I also have a 1GB connection

2 Likes

Iā€™m running the SU14 beta, as well, and was cautiously optimistic for quite a while but I did, eventually, get a CTD. I returned my internet connection to full speed, and since it didnā€™t occur nearly as quickly as in the past, I would say something has definitely changed for the better, at least for me.

1 Like

yep. Just got another in SU14. Loading my flight about 80% in
And add one more. This time 5 minutes after loading in.

For you who has CTD in beta, does it happen zooming in-out on the world map or at a later stage? That might be different issue too. For me itā€™s already a relief that I can use the World Map without any hassle while earlier had 100% chance on CTD. Iā€™ve not encountered other CTDs yet (before or after loading in the flights) but Iā€™ve tried some notorious scenery+plane combination to load in which - in most cases - also caused CTD for me but so far I havenā€™t met any. Maybe itā€™s my luck only but earlier I had less than 20% chance to start with a specific plane at a specific airport - but itā€™d be another topic, not World Map related. Even if the root cause is the same.

Iā€™ve now had the same CTDs in SU14 beta as SU13.
-A few after I click fly now. Typically around 80% loaded in or so.
-Had one also about a minute after loaded in.

Iā€™m still on public release (SU13) and I donā€™t encounter the issue anymore, still on my wired 2Gbits/s fiber.

Havenā€™t done anything on my end.

Thatā€™s not what this thread is about, this is about the crash when zooming in the map.

1 Like

I know what Iā€™m about to say is not what this topic is about directly (or maybe it is) but I canā€™t really find a suitable existing thread. I know there are dozens but bear with me!

Iā€™ve been having all sorts of troubles for hours today with CTD at about 85% of loading a flight. Long story short, used a weather preset instead of Live weather and itā€™s fine.

Can someone with this issue say if they have been always on Live weather when it happens?

And Iā€™m thinking maybe itā€™s the same deal with the world map. When you zoom to a new area itā€™s trying to read the weather for the area and failing.

Now that I used JDā€™s mod to disable weather (as well as use IFR map) Iā€™m not getting CTD on looking around the map any more.

But MAYBE it was Live weather to blame all along. Not Bing maps?

Anyone want to try that ā€” setting a weather preset on world map see if A) you can use Bing maps on the world map and B) it lets you start a flight.

Today Live weather seemed to think the whole of Europe was snowing (itā€™s not).

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Yes, random CTD while moving/zooming the world map

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

make a new thread then

1 Like

Just tried with a preset but got a CTD while map zooming as usualšŸ™„

1 Like