Sim crashes when zooming in at the worldmap

Happy to report that so far so good.

After relaunching the sim this evening (after disabling ReBAR this morning), I was able to press Fly and have the sim launch successfully despite only giving it a 10 second or less hesitation before pressing Fly (learned habit from this sim instability).

I was able to load in 6 different flights at different airports (most third party) and with different aircraft (all third party), all with the Bing Data World Graphics on. I don’t use Photogrammetry, but these all would have ordinarily resulted in a CTD.

I think I’ll still clean out my caches (I don’t use Rolling Cache, but the other ones it uses), but I’m happy that with my standard network speed, this seems to still allow a successful load.

That’s with satellite map and cloud layers on?

No, I use the IFR map. Might try the satellite map to see if that issue is fixed as well. I’ll try later tonight.

1 Like

Ah, then I misunderstood. What issue were you having before that this is testing? Crash during loading flight?

Mine is (was) only really on the map zooming.

Exactly. CTD during flight loading after pressing Fly. I gave up on zooming long ago due to the CTDs and just moved to he IFR map. However, I’ll test that scenario as well and report back.

1 Like

Yes, the zooming seems to work fine even with satellite view and clouds layer after making the ReBAR change.

1 Like

My conclusion is that it helps (a lot), but SU13 has a very serious issue with graphics memory management. After a short test flight, I quit MSFS and opened Photoshop to edit a picture. I was seeing some strange performance and kind of glitches and then suddenly I got a message that video memory had run too low and it was switching to a different mode. It was fine, but much slower after that.

I believe MSFS corrupted the video memory pool and it took a while for it to clear up.

Good to have something else to try, but so far all the fixes have worked sometimes and not others. Hopefully we can all put this behind us with SU14 next week, but still, the dev silence on this is…not appreciated.

3 Likes

The last beta update changelog did not mention this specific issue, so I’m pretty pessimist…

Just think about the DX12 tile issue still there one year later…

Hi everyone! I have been watching this topic a few weeks now and I want to share what I’ve experienced.
Since mid-late October I am suffering from the zooming in CTD bug and also from sometimes CTD during flights and CTD during flight load.
I saw somewhere that World Update 6 can cause things like this (Germany + Alps) - I usually fly around central europe.
I removed the WU and the zooming in CTD completely disappeared from the regions which were in the deleted WU before, I also had 0 CTD during loading. It looks like that it also affects other regions, like the WU with France + Benelux.

So the question is: when you zoom in at a region which causes CTD, do you have a WU installed for that region? I’d try deleting it then and trying it again.

I don’t say that this is all caused by the WUs, but it certainly looks like that they have an effect on it (e.g. I got a gigabit internet arount the time the CTDs ramped up). It seems like that there’s something wrong on the server side which “collides” with the WU contents.

2 Likes

EDIT: I did some more tests and it seems like that the bulk of my CTDs are caused by the German + Alps and the France + Benelux WUs. Usa and Canada WUs don’t seem to cause any issues when I fly around there.

WU 6 is known to cause CTD’s when zooming the map, didn’t know the other one caused them too. Only seen reports about WU 6 until now.

I tried it with the US and Canada WUs, I get like 1 CTD every 10 times I try to do some fast zooming in on the map. In Germany and France I got it almost every time. Italy also seems to work fine.

Another weird thing I noticed when I play MSFS, probably not the cause of the CTDs, but who knows at this point…
I use Win10 and the language is not set to English, but to my original language. I also have the keyboard language installed, but along with these I also have the english keyboard language and speech language installed (I think the English speech is necessary for the game, but it wasn’t installed for that reason).

Anyway. In Win10, the keyboard language is shown next to the clock on the tray, where the internet and sound icons are. If I start MSFS, and then I move back to windows in any way (exit, CTD, or even just minimizing), I noticed that this keyboard language icon has disappeared. I can’t even change the keyboard language without it. The only wayst to get it back is restart the PC or go to the keyboard language option in Windows Settings, change the language there and then it’ll reappear.
Very strange, MSFS is the only program that does this.

Update since my last comment:
Since I’ve removed the German and the French WUs, I’ve been constantly playing MSFS since my last comment. Jumping in flights around the world from different airports, starting in air. Not a single CTD (knocking on wood).

Let’s hope…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ctd-vast-improvement-with-14-beta/619461

Ok! Glad to hear it.
Can you tell me do you have an Nvidia GPU and REBAR enabled?
As for WU, I never installed WU6, only Iberia anda Japan are installed.
I suppose I can try to remove all the WU, restore the internet connection speed and REBAR and check for CTD’s.
Cheers

Hi! I have an Nvidia GPU, ReBAR is disabled. I have the Italy, Canada and USA WUs installed.
Before I had Germany and France, along with Iberia and Scandinavia, but I removed those as well, because I thought of it and I didn’t spend a single minute in those regions. Maybe I’ll try to re-add stuff as a next step, to see if it causes more CTDs.

Update. Sadly it looks like removing the German and French WUs are only a limited solution, there are still some CTDs. :frowning:
What can still help a little (it feels like at least) is disabling the rolling cache and deleting its contents every time you start the game.

Don’t mind my previous comments, after almost 3 hours of no CTDs now in a new session it’s almost as bad as before. :frowning: :confused: