Sim self deleted itself and reinstalled!

I just got an update in the microsoft store and downloaded it, started the game and the simulator deleted itself and now I have to download the whole game again including the community folder !

I have it installed on my work laptop when I travel and at home and both did the same thing!

What is annoying is the whole sim is gone including all my community folder !

Had the same problem myself. Super annoying that it deleted everything. I have a fast internet connection but it was still hours of downloading.

Fortunately, lots of the settings are saved to the cloud so it did not require me to reconfigure.

1 Like

I have lost all my third party files , 100G !

Was you in the public beta?

I suspect this may have something to with gamepass or a licencing issue but you should never leave your package files in their default location. Always move them to a different folder and update UserCfg.opt with the new path.

I use MSFS Addons Linker » Microsoft Flight Simulator
for my community stuff. Basically the community folder will be located in a safe place. FS2020 will only have a reference to that location. Whenever FS2020 gets deleted (G. knows why) you will only lose the references and still have your community folder with all your downloads.

I think the answer to that is going to be “Yes”.

2 Likes

If that answer is indeed yes, it more then likely explains the cleaning out of community folder, and redownload of simulator

1 Like

This has never happened to be (Touch wood) but just in case it ever did i always make a backup of everything ever 2 weeks or so

Feel for ya dude

1 Like

I don’t use gamepass.

Yes and I backed up the Community folder and when I downloaded the official release I restored the community folder and deleted the backup … now 2 weeks later the sim self deleted everything !

I guess you didn’t uninstall in the insider app first

1 Like

Yes but why two weeks or more after the update goes live? Unfortunately I deleted my community folder backup when I restored it after the official update.

Why would Asobo suddenly do a patch or update that wiped out the whole sim and community folder weeks after the update went live? If it had happened two weeks ago I had a backup!

Did you leave the insider hub via the insider app?

Wasn’t the deadline the 13th to opt out of the Beta, or it did it for you?

1 Like

Then I really don’t know what happened. Please take my advice and not leave Community and Official in their default locations at all.

2 Likes

I didn’t get the chance as the update official release downloaded and ran before I had a chance to delete the beta. Like I said above up until 2 weeks ago I had the community folder backed up. Why now? It’s bizarre!

I’ve installed the sim on my D drive since release, and never once had any of these curious installation/update issues.

1 Like

Steam for the win

3 Likes

I highly recommend you install Community mods in another folder, not in the MSFS folder. the freeware AddOnLinker is your friend.