Sim Update 3 [03.09.2021]

Normally, I’m in the camp that prefers something be delayed vs releasing broken garbage that we have to deal with for weeks until the next update. I was all for all 3 of the delays for the UK so they could finally get it right.

Unfortunately, that didn’t really happen. The delays had no real impact on the quality of the release. We were still delivered a buggy, broken update. I’m not so sure that should apply any more.

6 Likes

Why is it buggy and broken? maybe the flap issue I guess was a thing, certainly not a game breaking issue for me. My frame rates didn’t get worse, everything is running great…

Sounds like we need an update to update the date of the update.

2 Likes

It was well planned… they will try to release in 03/09. If not possible, it will be in 03/11 and nobody will complain, once nobody knows the real date :wink:

1 Like

The flap issue was one thing. Another was they totally broke the manual cache system. Many folks also saw a sharp decrease in performance from said patch. I personally lost 10 fps with this update. And no amount of lowering settings or resolution will gain me even a single frame. I struggle to hit 30 fps no matter how low my settings are when I used to be able to run near 50 a couple of months back.

While you may not have encountered issues, go take a look in the bug forum with all kinds of issues being reported with the UK update.

5 Likes

Ya I honestly think it really has to do with peoples hardware/drivers/etc. It’s really tough to make games for PC since everyone is using different stuff. Mine runs fantastic and I have not seen those issues.

1 Like

I’m sure it has something to do with them not testing stuff on particular hardware. In my case, there’s nothing wrong with my hardware. It’s a reasonable spec, drivers are all up to date, etc. Things worked just fine a couple of months ago. I was able to run at mostly high and ultra settings at 40+ fps.

To me, the VR update is when things went downhill for me performance-wise, and every subsequent patch seems to chip away at that a little more. The last update is the single biggest downgrade I (and many others) have seen so far.

Another update like this and it will basically be unplayable for me. I’m currently straddling the line of playability now with a constant 30, and a drop to low 20s in busy areas.

I can’t even fly over London to see the new update. That drops me down to single digit frame rates.

1 Like

While that is true too many people have reported similar issue. Clearly something broke with the update and the devs need to address this!

2 Likes

My mistake only two delays as of yet. First expected on the 23/02, then on the 04/03 and now 09/03. The third one might be tomorrow.

The current update was originally slated for Feb 23. Due to the previous update being delayed 3 weeks, this current update got pushed ahead originally to Mar 4. Instead, they gave us a hotfix for the flaps and pushed it ahead to Mar 9.

So technically, in the current cycle, this one only got delayed once. The original delay everyone knew was going to happen due to the previous patch being 3 weeks late. That would have meant we would have had the UK update, and then Sim Update 3 10 days later. Realistically, that was never going to happen. The UK update was going to move everything after it.

They did say in the Q&A that this was going to happen, but they’d be working hard to try to get following updates back on regular schedules.

what kind of graphics card do you have? How much VRAM?

Doesn’t matter. It got worse for many simmers, with various systems.

3 Likes

Ryzen 7 2700X, 2 x 1TB NVMe, 64GB RAM, RTX2080.

Like I said, it ran like a champ until the VR update in December. 40+ fps in most areas. At FL with the Longitude, it would hit 60 fps occasionally. That was with all Ultra and High settings.

Now I have a mix of medium and high setting, struggling to hit 30 fps at best of times, seeing my CPU pegged and my GPU running at 30-40%.

Doesn’t matter what I have in my community folder or what hardware or external tools I have running. The result is exactly the same.

1 Like

I am sorry, but a delay is still a delay, not sure my customers would accept new delay because I did delay something before, the goal is to get back on track and make up for the time lost.

As always,we will see tomorrow.

1 Like

Ya that’s bizarre you should have at least 8GB of VRAM in that 2080.

I just have a Ryzen 7 3700X and 8GB 5700 XT and I would say 30FPS at busy airports, 50+ in the air with some altitude and everything in between, mix of Ultra/High end. my GPU is always at 100% and my CPU sits around 20 - 30% if that… More then playable and it’s been consistent from the start.

I wonder if you have a CPU issue, it shouldn’t be maxing out and throttling your GPU like that. maybe cooling? what kind of temps is your CPU getting?

I do have 8GB in the 2080. It’s typically 90+% used.

The GPU itself is only 50% or less used most of the time. In sim counter says I’m CPU limited. My main thread is like 90+% used all the time with a much lighter load on all the others threads. Overall usage is much like yours at 30-ish %.

I have no issues anywhere else. I’ve run tests, benchmarks, etc. My CPU passes them all with flying colours getting the same numbers it’s always gotten in those tests. I use other apps as well for astrophotography processing that are very CPU demanding. They all run just as well as ever.

I have no issues running any other game at 75+ fps on max detail. Some that will even exceed the 100 Hz of my monitor.

The only piece of software that runs like hot garbage on my system is MSFS. And that happened since the VR update in December. And after every single patch, I see my performance chipped away a few frames every time. Like I said, the UK update was the single biggest hit I took.

I was literally flying in the sim as the update dropped getting about 40 fps. I shut down (exited properly), did all my regular pre-patching preparations like clearing caches, emptying community folder, etc. I updated to be greeted by this new slow, stuttery mess with 10 fps in the world map and terrible performance in sim.

The only thing that changed between getting acceptable performance and the dumpster fire I’m dealing with now was the patch.

1 Like

ya very strange, hopefully the next sim update addresses some of your issues. must be driver/compatibility related then with something. that sucks!

I have no idea what it could be. Like I said, every update since the VR update has stolen away a few frames. It was about 5-ish fps with the VR update. That’s when I first saw my GPU no longer being pegged at 100%. I know because up until that point, it was typically running at 90% or more all the time and I could hear the fans screaming at me at times (I have a rather louds Gigabyte card).

I haven’t heard my fans ramping up for MSFS now since then as the card seems to be hardly being used most of the time. It’s like it’s trying to render using my CPU instead of GPU.

The odd thing is, I’ve tuned each of my current settings one at a time starting from low and moving them up until I saw them starting to affect my performance. The strangest part is that I can run at 50% resolution scaling (720p) in all LOW settings, and I don’t gain a single frame from running it at 1440 with the current mix of high / med settings I’ve been using since December. It still says I’m CPU limited at that point. At those low settings, my GPU is barely seeing 10% use most of the time.

It just doesn’t make sense. :confused:

1 Like

Sim Update 2 had what looks like 100+ bug fixes: [RELEASE] Release Notes (1.12.13.0) Sim Update 2 Now Available!

I think we can expect something similar with Sim Update 3. The major improvements in the bugs/wishes lists include fixes for Autopilot, Garmin avionics, and Live Weather/Wind. Excited to see what we get on Thursday!

2 Likes

Sorry to butt in on this thread but i have only got a Ryzen 5 2600, 16gb ram and a gtx 1060 and i’m getting a solid 26-30 fps even in fairly busy areas including London which ive just looked at for the first time. it might be a PC issue you’re having and not a MSFS problem (High end setting)