Sim VR thoughts.. Sim Update 3

Would like to here how good or bad things are after the recent update. Thoughts?
Steam VR Index is my rig.

Cheers
Stay Safe,
PACO572

G2 here. Apparently no change. Something weird happened but maybe only momentary glitch not sure it was the updated. Suddenly after take off in Tokyo performance tanked - like 2-3 fps. Also in menus. Also when I went out of VR. After 1 minute everything went back to normal and actually performance has never been this smooth. Not sure what happened there…

2 Likes

Given the update notes we shouldn’t see any difference performance wise (or no improvement at least, because new bugs could also make things worse - fingers crossed it won’t be the case)

1 Like

Just did a 2 hour flight in the Pitts Special (towards my Jack of All Planes achievement) from RKSS to RJOA with Live Weather and all was good in VR

1 Like

Flew the spitfire around southern England with same settings. Smooth as glass even low and at speed. At least as good or better.

1 Like

Is it only me, but after the Update3 all menus in VR like VFR Map, ATC etc. + Name Plates became super blurry, with very low resolution

5 Likes

I had the same with the text being large and blurry. I have my non-VR settings set at windowed mode and 800x600. And my 2D window was shrunk quite small on my screen. I found that if I enlarge the window (keep it at 800x600 but just make the window bigger) the in-game text that was large and blurry corrects itself.

2 Likes

Oculus Rift S here. I am definitely noticing more definition of the resolution within cockpits, and also the external world looks much better. Horizon / sky colors in VR look much clearer and less washed out than before. Smooth VR fps. The cockpit gauges are also much more clear than before. Very happy with how VR looks now.

i9-108500 / 3090 / 64GB memory, Rift S

3 Likes

I dont think the world update 3 has made much of a difference performance wise however the latest OXR update for me has pretty much eliminated micro stutters in the cockpit. A MASSIVE improvement! I’m running a G2 on a 3700X with RTX3070 with 32Gb RAM. Very happy at the moment :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a quest 2. i 7 7700k and a 1080ti.
I use SteamVR and Virtual desktop.

After the update it feels a bit smoother.
But after 15min my PC froze and I had to restart my PC…

1 Like

Rtx3090 5800x and g2. Not difference in peromance. I have the latest drives with hot fix from nvidia. I turn on the HAGS and I think I eliminated the micro shutters when you look at sides. What is your opinion with the hags and the new driver?

1 Like

I did my usual benchmarks and there’s been no performance improvements whatsoever, sometimes things sneak in or other fixes smooth things out but not in this case.
I’m guessing the main component for any optimisation will come with the DX12 update, as that’ll include more Core Engine work.

1 Like

Don’t know what has happened to me. I’m on Rift S and updated to the update 3 everything was working prior to this. Issue I’m facing is VR works fine in the menu to set up the flight but as soon as the flight starts its as if it can’t connect to the headset as it flicks quickly between VR and screen before crashing to desktop. I’m at my wits end with this… I dread any forced update as it just breaks stuff.

Microsoft Forum Simulator indeed…

Tried this on Oculus Beta v27 and even rolled back to v26 but no joy. Done restarts tried it with and without Oculus tool tray… If any one else had this issue and sorted it help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Fixed it. Seems Oculus VR REALLY does not like it if you have menus such as ATC, VFR Map etc/ open from a previous Non VR Flight that are broken out and moved to a second monitor.
Once I started a non VR flight and closed all those windows then went into VR all was well again

2 Likes

Which OXR runtime are you using, oculus or steam? Perhaps try the other one and see if the crash still occurs…

2 Likes

Hi thanks for your help, I am using Oculus OXR.

I managed to fix it and came back to update my post.

I was flying not in VR yesterday and had ATC, VFR map and NAV Log open and moved onto my second monitor. Seemed VR really… REALLY didn’t like that. I started a flight not in VR and closed all of those windows and then enter VR worked fine after that. (though now with white flashes) so going to jump back on the BETA channel to v27. Odd one but hopefully that will help someone else with similar issues.

Thanks again

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I read alot of complains about worst performance since sim update 3, but for me, in VR anyways, I get a much smoother experience. The micro-stutters have reduced greatly. The only minor issue is blurry POI, AIRPORT labels, but who cares about that.
Overall I am very satisfied with this update, but I am wondering if i’m the only one.
Thank you ASOBO and Microsoft!

4 Likes

Same here my VR performance has actually improved!

4 Likes

It really has to be THE single worst implementation of VR in ANY flight sim so far.

ASOBO et al could easily buy the Aerofly code.

However that would be admitting defeat, and having to use Vulkan.

Not gonna happen.

:woozy_face:

2 Likes

i don’t know man, xp11 when vr was launched was a pain to get it to even run smooth and look good, while its smoother now with Vulkan it took years to get there, FS is at least ahead of where xp11 was when it launched by far, for me at least.

5 Likes

probably because the LOD has been degraded so much its pumped performance up.

2 Likes