Simulator doesn't start anymore at all

Hi EggsBoxJuan,

I could not get access to that folder, which is fine for me as this is probably part of the store system. I do not like tampering with privilages.
The solution TenPatrol has posted , works for me.
Anyways, thanks for your time

1 Like

I tried all the possible fixes mentioned here and nothing works.

I had to reinstall OS since I was getting BSOD from a “great” update microsoft published… When I renstalled the system, i set updates to be delayed for 180 days (when i started getting trouble with the sim i dissabled this and updated to latest OS). Then tried instaling MSFS2020, it download a few mb of data and when i can click play in xbox app, or right click run as admin on the shortcut, I get a process that runs for around 20sec, then a black screen with white borders for 2 and then it dissapers. After trying the thing with malwarebytes I just dont get the blackscreen anymore but thats it.

And yeah, tried dissabling virus prot, defender, adding exclusions, checking fire wall, updated OS and everything in store and so on.

These fixes seem to work for a few launches then you’re back to where you started. I thought I’d cracked it earlier as the sim was launching every time, went for lunch. came back powered the PC on and no way will the sim launch.

Yep, that’s identical to what I’m seeing.

Same here…20 sec, then black screen with white borders and back to desktop. I’ve tried all the tips and tricks already.

nothing works for me since yesterday :frowning:

BTW one more thing that I noticed, when checking for OS update, sometimes there is a windows defender security update, KB some number ending with 602, its downloaded, and then that dissapears, and with me checking last 2 days I think i saw it couple of times. So it could be that it doesnt get installed or something and that could be the problem. Checking for updates again will say that the OS is up to date.

I just unplugged my network cable, started FlightSim - and it still crashes :slight_smile:

My solution (which continues to work) was to roll back the PC and prevent the Gaming Services from updating in the first place.

When gaming services updates, it actually appears to install an “older” version (based on the version number), so I think the problem could be in the gaming services update itself and hopefully the version on the MStore will be fixed.

Oddly enough, my other PC which is almost the same as my main PC (software wise) doesn’t try to automatically update the gaming services.

This might ultimately be an MSStore fault where it mistakenly thinks your gaming services needs updating, when in actual fact, the update is older than the current installation.

Since the workaround with Defender does not help on my system, I’ll post my specs here:

Device name undisclosed
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core Processor 3.89 GHz
Installed RAM 32,0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
GPU GeForce RTX 2080, driver 457.09
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎10 ‎Jun ‎2020
OS build 19042.610
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

If you have a system backup (or system restore point), you can roll back the PC and quickly prevent the Gaming Services update from downloading when you reboot.

What’s the version of your Gaming Services? Mine is 2.47.2002.0 and the exclusion works for me.

I think you are closest to the solution, of all of the possible workarounds we talk about here.

However, I can’t be ■■■■■ to roll back Windows. That’s my decision because MSFS is not that important right now for me.

I wonder if there is a manual distribution channel for the xbox gaming service?

Mine is 2.47.2002.0 as per the store. Modified Nov 3rd.

the same problem here

1 Like

Had the same issue. TenPatrol’s advice (Up this thread)did the trick for me. 15Gb downloaded, some 80Gb to go… looks good

1 Like

If I go by the folder name , it’s 2.46.7001.0, however, if I go by the exe properties, it is 10.0.19041. 4332.

The update seems to install an older version 10.0.19041. 4271 if I can believe the version numbers in the exe files.

Based on the exe version numbers, I dare to guess that the devs may have included the wrong version of the exe in the update release.

If the folders weren’t ridiculously security locked, it would be an easy fix to just copy across the original exe.

1 Like

It would appear that an awful lot of us are having the same problem, reinstalling doesn’t seem to work.
How will we be able to get the fix if we cant even open the game. Very disappointing Microsoft!!
Get it fixed, we have all paid enough

1 Like

Hallo. I don’t think there was any messing on your part. I had MFSF running earlier today, closed, restarted this afternoon - and there was a black screen that disappeared and nothing else. I checked security and update and there were two Windows and NET updates waiting So I updated those, restarted, and no change. There is probably nothing we can do. But wait…

That was fast! I don’t know if I would be able to capture that black app window… :smiley:

1 Like