SimWorks Studios and PILOT'S Dash 7!

Guessing many will be upset that it’s toned down a bit since the trend is 100% accurate simulations, but hopefully enough vocal supporters will come out to say it’s great (assuming it will be) even if things like the circuit breakers aren’t simulated. Very much looking forward to this massive turboprop.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m weird (actually, scratch that maybe part), but I’ve never understood the need to simulate functions that have nothing to do with actually flying the plane. Even in the Kodiak… There’s a simulated air conditioning system that reacts to the ambient air temp. It has no bearing on how the plane actually flies, but since it’s there, I still turn it on. As long as the plane I’m flying has reasonable flight and engine dynamics and a basic set of instruments, including autopilot, is there really any need to tell a bunch of invisible people in the cabin to fasten their seatbelts?

3 Likes

No, but I quite often find I want to pull the GPWS breaker…

Er, hm. Well, let’s see exactly how watered down this is. No breakers is easy to live with, magic engines, not so easy.

1 Like

Yep…agree with the others…Things like working CBs don’t concern me one iota. I DO want, however, advanced handling, performance, sound, modelling and realism to a point (e.g. opening doors etc.). They’re the important aspects for me.

2 Likes

Depends on the point of view - if an aircraft has modeled dynamic failures working circuit breakers may make sense (like if some failures can be reset using these or if they just pop).

In some rare cases on light aircraft circuit breakers may also used as “switches” like for the avionics or as the battery master.

Anyway I’m fine too with such features missing - also with senseless adjustable air vents inside the cockpit…

1 Like

I will say that there is one non-flight-related feature that I’d like to see taken a little further. Put a beverage can in the open cup holders that can be easily retextured. Mine would get redone as a more “adult” beverage - since that’s what it looks like I’ve been doing on a lot of my landings!

1 Like

I’m going to need a fictional Ryan Air scheme for this when I first start flying this plane because I know it’s going to be a harder than usual landing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just happened across this topic and was reading the initial post… “SWS and PILOT’S…” And SWS is doing (everything), so I guess PILOT’S is just distributing and funding development? Was just funny reading the release since it listed all that stuff for SWS and then Pilot’s was the Professor and Mary Ann…

Anyway, anxious for this. I saw complaints uptopic about SWS doing an older plane, but more power to them – someone’s going to have to make an amazing aircraft to get me to put another glass Garmin plane in my hangar. In the meantime, gimme some cool old steam gauges in a Dash 7 any day.

2 Likes

Itʻs a …glass DHC-7? …the heck?

Er, no, I just wrote stream of consciousness and what I was saying made sense in my head. :slight_smile: Edited for clarity!

1 Like

Some people, me included, like to have everything simulated that I can touch and control, or that causes some function in the aircraft to produce some sort of reaction. It doesn’t have to be flight related. But, for instance, if it’s cold out, I like to turn on the heat, just as I would when really flying.

It’s all about going through the checklist and flying, especially in planes I’d like to fly, but know I never will. Here’s my chance.

2 Likes

I’m a former US Marine. I’ve got some German heritage. I’m a former aircraft dispatcher. The combination of those variables means that I LOVE me some good checklists and procedures. :smiley: :heart: (I picked up MiraCheck after watching a webinar over at FlightSim Association) - voice powered checklists!

As for the flying, I love being in the air. My body, however, does not. I have horrible motion sickness, and even in the light chop we experience flying from Honolulu to the US West Coast during he summer is enough to make me hurl. :face_vomiting: I took one “Discovery Flight” where the instructor let me taxi out and take off - we were still on the runway heading, climbing out, and within about 15 or 20 seconds I had this huge wave wash over me of “Man, I do NOT like this at all!” :frowning: (I also take medicines that our lovely rooted-in-the-1940s FAA would not let me get a class 1 with.)

Flight simulation has been something I’ve loved off and on for years. (like since 1984) I took a break after FS98, and jumped “back in the pool” when MSFS2020 came out. To say that I’ve embraced it and made it "my hobby’ is an understatement. :rofl: This lets me fly, pretend I’m a cargo pilot in Hawai’i in my little weird, old prop planes, do all the procedures and checklists I want, and NOT get sick. I would LOVE to try VR, but I’m 99% certain it’d be a vomit-fest.

As I mentioned way up above, Hawaiian Airlines had DHC-7s. They built the West Maui Airport specifically to accommodate them. I can’t wait to load 'er up and make weird 4 engine prop noises. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The thing about VR that can get you “unsettled” is the fact there are no G-forces to go with the motion. The visual input is there, sending signals to your inner ear but there’s a disconnect.

I do not get motion sickness of any sort, but VR can make me feel dizzy or disoriented on occasion. For flying the pattern though, there’s nothing like it!

(Except the real thing of course…)

1 Like

What a great post. We have very similar feelings to flight simming. I am sometimes prone to motion sickness myself. I can confidently say that VR will get you sick! There are ways to adjust though, some folks say that a very small exposure time, with little movement, over a few months time, will help greatly. I don’t know. I thought I was used to it but I always end up doing something stupid (now is a good time for a roll!) and making myself sick even after a year of having it.

1 Like

Are you using MiraCheck with MSFS?

1 Like

Yes! I want to set up (and share) a DC-6 checklist pack. So far I’ve only just kinda fooled around and tested the C172 stuff, but jeez it is cool. I mean you can set it to listen and then call out for like pre-flight or takeoff checklists, and then it’ll run through the check and response. Super neat.

1 Like

How are you hooking it up to msfs? There’s no simconnect link as far as I can see?
Just by flight plan, but how does it know your actions in the sim to trigger it?
Or are you just voice navigating it as you go, via checklist switching and voice actions?

1 Like

Ah - now that I re-read your question I see what you were asking. To be honest I haven’t messed around with it a whole bunch yet. I watched the webinar that Flight Sim Association did, and thought it was cool enough to buy. Real life™ Has been crazy enough that my MSFS time is pretty limited, so I haven’t had proper time to sit down and learn it.

As an example, I just started flying the PMDG DC-6 that I bought …the day it came out. :man_facepalming:t3: RealSimGear GTN750 siting in the box, but that one just arrived this week. Hoping to get to it later tonight!

aok, thanks. Keep us posted on your progress, looks great.

1 Like

You might want to try head tracking as an alternative to VR. It’s quite a bit cheaper, much easier to set up, and allows you to move your head around the cockpit and look like you would in real life with much smaller head movements. It also lets you keep the real world in your peripheral vision, so your balance doesn’t get confused.

Another bonus is that it works with any plane; you don’t need to worry if a plane is ‘vr capable’ or not.

1 Like