SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

Interesting, thanks for the info. This airplane is not in the Marketplace, but it looks awesome. A better Cessna Caravan:

Difficult decision which one might become my next GA plane: Carenado Seneca or Kodiak 100! :smiley: And I love difficult decisions because no difficult decisions would mean nothing with top notch quality to buy.

Go to flightsim.to, sort it by country, and select Papua New Guinea. Happy flying.

1 Like

Why does some airplanes take weeks or even months until they can be bought in the EU marketplace, while everyone else and every YouTuber can already fly them?

Well okay here is a different download site. I will have a look if she comes on sale before christmas :slight_smile:

edit:
EXCELLENT a cargo version! This makes the decision between the Carenado Seneca and the Kodiak 100 now waaaaaaaay easier :wink:

Is this pylon with the aerodynamical shaped cone on the right wing of this airplane a weather radar?

3 Likes

Yes it is.

For bush strips, I really like Locher airstrip, which you can find on flightsim.to. It may not be in the middle of a jungle, but it sure is challenging to even taxi up to the runway.

1 Like

I donā€™t have the airplane, but are you in low idle?

What are your issues? I have been flying the Caravan lately and it uses the same AP as the kodiak. Are you running the G1000 Nxi from WT?

Offcauseā€¦you are rightā€¦low idle thanks

For me, it refuses to go uphill. Even slight inclines. If you try, it forces you off the runway. Give it a try and see.

Even on low idle it creeps a bit. Interestingly, one difference Iā€™ve noticed between the Kodiak, and the Caravan is the condition lever acts like the Caravan did pre-SU6(?). It doesnā€™t just have three discrete positions, but what feels like an entire axis. Bring the physical just shove the cutoff detent brings it to low idle, but I can move the lever forwards, and the VC lever slides through the axis. There are some jumps for some reason, but it seems more like the Caravan used to be.

Thatā€™s a known issue. If the slope is steep (I.e. Locher) you will need a running start.

We believe the reason lies in ground handling. For steering to be effective, a minimum forward speed must be achieved. If not, then the nose wheel has no effect on steering and you are at the mercy of torque.

We considered toning it down, but it would be incorrect in the remaining 95% of airports. We are also sure that our net thrust is correct as the plane is very close to the real flight envelope in cruise, which is a relatively sterile state without interference from friction or angled flight.

Unfortunately, the only advice I can give if you are somewhere like Bugalaga is to make it to the top. If theres a plateau like in Yifki (I think) or want to taxi at Locher, get a nice running start and a bit of power. Entering even with as little as 5 kts will allow you to control her, with the power lever being ready for extra push.

@hobanagerik We use mixture because we donā€™t like how the condition lever handles with the mouse and fuel flow. We are working on an improved solution.

7 Likes

I only did a couple of flights, so maybe too early for firm conclusions. But here is what I encountered on an IFR flight from RJBB to RJGG.

1. More of a question: as soon as I turn on the AP, the rudder paddles lock into their neutral position and I can no longer provide any rudder input. Is that like this in the real airplane?

2. On the ILS approach (AP in APR mode) it flew a course parallel to the ILS (offset by maybe 1/4 mile) until about 1 mile from touchdown, then it made a very aggressive maneuver to shift over to the correct track. But even after that it tracked the LOC only poorly.

3. On the ground when I taxied to parking I noticed that the rudder pedals moved on their own! It was as if the plane still tried to follow the AP. Say when I turned to the right, as soon as I let go of the pedals, the pedals themselves started to steer me back to the original taxi direction!!! I made sure I have autorudder and AP off.

All of this was on stock G1000. Because of these problems, I, for the first time, installed the WT G1000, but with it, I couldnā€™t even get the plane to follow the magenta line. Could be user error of course, since I have never used the WT product before.

1 Like

Never seen those sorts of issues. It sounds like you might have some assistance settings on. Iā€™d check those. Havenā€™t flown an ILS in the kodiak yet so Iā€™ll have to give that a go.
The WT is much more realistic than the default G1000 so you need to be aware of a few differences. A big one is the WT will only capture if you are on or close to the correct course and at a reasonable intercept angle. It will not capture if you are way off track or coming onto it from the wrong angle. You will see this denoted by the mode only coloured in white text meaning itā€™s only armed. It will turn green if and when it meets the criteria I outlined above for capture. This is more like the real world behaviour.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I double and triple checked that all assists are off. I will keep monitoring to see if that problem was a one-time fluke or if I can reproduce it.

What are the correct parameters for intercepting the magenta line? 45 degree intercept angle? And how close do I need to be to the magenta line?

Not sure of the exact parameters but WT will obviously know for sure. Iā€™ve been sticking with about 30 deg. I then arm NAV mode (white GPS text) and when you are close enough it will automatically capture (green GPS text). If you already meet the criteria it will capture straight away.

1 Like

Any bush trips suggestions for the kodiak?

1 Like

Love this plane! Sounds are awesome. Great systems, great to fly and taxi. Best plane (for me) for making good use of the G1000 NXi.

I do have a couple of issues. Wonder if anyone could help.

The left yaw/roll immediately after take off is severe. Iā€™ve tried various right rudder trim from neutral to 50%, and although this has some effect - itā€™s always severe. Anyone managed to find good trim settings for TO?

Iā€™ve been unable to assign a throttle axis that allows my CH Throttle Quad to bring the throttle into beta range, or the prop into feather. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Norway (Orsta-Volda), Canada (Squamish) and area, Everywhere in Papua New Guinea

I watched a flight instructor review the airplane on Youtube and he used full right trim on takeoff.

Just had my first full stall ending in a unrecoverable spin and impact to the ground from 6000 feet ( my own fault as somehow the power lever had been knocked to idle, and i was focussing on other stuff).
VERY realistic and scary I can tell you.
Have not had this happen to me like that in 30 years of simming.
Great plane!

3 Likes

I have managed to get cargo to appear in the back but so far zero luck with passengers.
Any good suggestions.
Have filled on passenger weights (170-200 pounds)
On some of the seats but no joy.
Whatā€™s wrong?