SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

The mixed and tundra interiors have passengers, but the skydive & summit don’t. The polycounts got to be too much.

5 Likes

Just found that myself, by actually reading the manual lol.
Thanks

PS nice to see a developer active here. Really good.
Think you have a succes on your hands.

5 Likes

Has anyone had issues when fiddling with the middle screen of the NXI? I’ve had 2 or 3 CTD’s when doing this. Happens when scrolling quickly through the various pages.

This is a very fun aircraft to fly; landings are super, really, exceptionally nice. I’ve greased on a number in a row now; from by-the-book follow the glideslope approaches, to pull back to idle and drop 30 degrees flaps and hang on type of landings. She’s loads of fun!

For those struggling with takeoffs?

I had impossible left roll “crash and burn” on my first three tries. Finally decided to limit rotation to 5 degrees, gently rotate @ 70 kias minimum, and hold right rudder and aileron straight and level until established at 85 kias to raise flaps to 10, then 95 to raise flaps completely. 50% fuel load and pilot only. When following that procedure, the Kodiak flies herself off the runway and establishes an initial rate of climb between 200 and 300 fpm.

So far, this seems like one of best models released to date. Forget everything you learned flying the C208; this is an altogether different (and more challenging) aircraft. Sloppy habits will result in short flights. :slight_smile:

Papua New Guinea here I come! (After a few more hours in my familiar home circuits I typically frequent.)

6 Likes

I am thinking of picking this up. Does it use the in-built MSFS checklist system? I see the manual doesn’t include one. Thanks!

Yes, it does include the built in checklist

2 Likes

thanks for the quick response.

I’ve found similar, but what I can’t help noticing is that this ends up with your crabbing on takeoff to the right, even if you have a crosswind coming from the left.

In addition to that, it then means I need to use a fair bit of left rudder to stay on the centre line, which you then have to remove as you rotate.

I’ve watched a lot of MBP videos, and if you watch those where he has a wing camera looking down at the wheels, its clear his plane is not crabbing at all.

Fun as you say, and smooth landings are rewarding. But my takeoffs don’t feel as rewarding as yet. I can get smooth takeoffs, and I can track the centre line mostly, but I feel I can look out the left window, and still see the runway. :slight_smile:

I’ve yet to watch any videos reviewing the release version, but will have a look shortly. I’ll be interested to see what they make of it.

Regarding those death spirals, I’ve had that happen a few times now. I was climbing, and I think I had one notch of flaps. I had a lot of right rudder in, but as I climbed it became increasingly clear this wasn’t enough as my airspeed dropped. When I got to around 80kts(?) even with what felt like full right rudder the left wing dropped, and I entered a spin. When I retried I lowered my nose a bit, allowed the airspeed to not drop as far, and that was more manageable. I don’t remember the stall horn going off either.

1 Like

Definitely buying this. Does it have a good POH?

I got that today, departing RWY 29 with a slight (7 kt) crosswind coming from 267 degrees.

But wow those landings… I’ve found I like to come in “hot” and then cut to idle power, full fine prop, bleed airspeed so I can drop 30 degrees flaps, and fall from the sky like a boulder. Flare, squeak. Fun. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think this might be the first airplane I’ve flown in the sim so far where the landing light provides depth perception on landing at night. I only had a few night landings IRL and this airplane is the first to remind me of the depth perception for flaring. They have done an outstanding job on this aircraft.

4 Likes

Well. I must say, the Simworks Kodiak has set a new standard for MSFS aircraft.
It is by far and away better than any GA aircraft that we have seen so for and has set a benchmark that other developers should strive to reach and even exceed.
Hunting around the cockpit just about everything is modelled including the climate control and the TAWS inhibit switch, yep you can turn bitchin betty off if flying in mountainous terrain.
Little things like the arm rests on the pilot seats and passenger seats can be folded up. Buttons and switches all work which ads to the overall immersion factor that we simmers desire.
There is much more which I won’t mention but, let you discover, if you purchase the aircraft and in my humble opinion it is well worth the dollars or Euros.
Excellent work from Simworks studios.
Love flying it.

2 Likes

The Kodiak seems to be quite heavy on my FPS. Anyone experiencing the same?

Hello,
First time trying the airplane but I cant seem to figure out how to dim the screens. Does anyone know how to do so?

Capture.PNG

For me, it happens on slight inclines and above 5kts. Kinda destroys the entire premise of bush flying if the plane refuses to steer correctly on inclines IMO. I can’t complete a multiple airport route because I eventually get stuck at an airport and can’t turn around. It’s game breaking from a use perspective.

Hello guys is there any written tutorial for this aircraft? From Simworks I only got one pdf with basic explanation

Best to follow the real world checklists in the POH.

1 Like

It’s not ideal but this sim limitation can be overcome by rolling back and building up some speed to get up inclines.

Use the POH:

5 Likes

In my case, it cannot. Rolling back is not an option on slight inclines. If I try to power up to turn around, the plane will literally be stuck. No other plane in the sim does this. I bought this plane because it was a bush plane, but apparently it is not if it cannot operate properly on bush strips with inclines. Which is most of them.