SimWorks Studios Kodiak 100 one the best aircraft for MSFS 2020

Can you give an airstrip example and a default aircraft that is better than the Kodiak in this regard. It may help the dev understand the differences. I’d be interested to try it too.

2 Likes

Right about forgetting the C208! I’m a C208 flyer and have been really enjoying the Kodiak today.

A couple of observations for a C208 flyer… this aircraft just pops up off the runway. I haven’t had any issues with left and burn crashes, I’ve been using about 1/2 of the right rudder trim, but today taking off I got distracted looking at the rudder trim indicator and suddenly found myself at 90 knots and climbing rapidly.

Remember to re-adjust your rudder trim when you get to altitude. I get to my cruise altitude and needed to set the rudder trim back to 0, especially noticeable when using the autopilot.

My only small critique is the taxi light is as dim as the C172 when going into small uncontrolled airports at night. My C208 uses one of the light mods and is a much brighter light. Maybe the Kodiak has realistic look but I’ve gotten used to a bright taxi light. The landing spotlights are really cool, however!!

Love my new toy. Can’t wait to try it out into some of the really short runways I can’t touch in the C208.

I did gain some fps (1-2) with disabling propellers. And disabling co-pilots pdf display give some fps and remove stutters in VR. But still, C208 has 10% better fps, so Kodiak needs to be optimised at least in VR.

Displays are also too bright in VR, cant dim those. Looking resolution. It was great experience to fly with Kodiak through fireworks in VR with new free Puffin’s fireworks addon from flightsim.to

2 Likes

Thank you! :+1:t2:

Undoubtedly SWS has knocked this out of the park with cockpit modelling but I don’t believe the TAWS Inhibit switch is operable at the moment. Check POH. Definitely described as INOP.

1 Like

It’s the standby attitude indicator. You can deactivate it by pulling the breaker, bottom center on the panel. People are reporting significant FPS increase.

6 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot!! That gave me almost 10 FPS.

I wonder if you can dim the PFD/MFD displays on the real plane. TBM930 mod has dimmable displays and they are a godsend to use at night. Bright displays at night in the cockpit is not good. Hope someone or the developer can comment? (before I buy)

1 Like

It seems not. The G1000 has its own dimming setting but it seems to conflict with the default “hardware” code, which we are using. We will look if we can patch it in later.

3 Likes

First flight in the Kodak and it really leapt into the air. Is there an elevator trim indicator somewhere? Using the NXi.

Hi,

Love the Kodiak so far! Great product and very versatile plane that can handle most runways, seasons etc. Can really see myself settling on this one for most of my flying!

So, in the humble spirit of providing feedback and also learning if I’m doing something wrong, here are some observations:

• When I first loaded the plane it reset all my Assistance-settings. I’ve seen this happen with other 3rd party planes but this was more severe than earlier.

• On the first takeoff, the plane veered to the left very sharply and I couldn’t keep it on the runway. It felt better in the air but once I had landed, it was impossible to steer neither left nor right and looking down on the animated pedals, they deflected properly but then wandered back to neutral although the stick was kept at full deflection. No autorudder enabled and I know about the general tendancy to go left due to torque but this was something else. Strangely, this behaviour disappeared permanently after loading another flight from the main menu.

• When scrolling through airports on the center screen during flight I first noticed graphical glithes on it, then the whole sim froze and had to be shut down through taskmanager.

• Is it just me or are the brakes weaker on the Kodiak? I’ve been lazy so far in MSFS and only used brakes and not reverse thrust to decelerate and this has been working fine on all Asobo-planes as well as DC-6, Piper Arrows, Hawk and the CRJ. Is perhaps the Kodiak more true to life and I’ll have to start working on assigning the thrust/propeller reverser?

Happy to get any input on above, thanks.
Andreas

Please help more with screenshots, so what to do?

No image but follow this.
Use instrument views to advance to the view of the lower centre console. Lower rear of the throttles.
You will see all the round circuit breakers.
Find the 6th breaker from the left and press it and it will pop up.
This will turn off the small standby instrument to the left of the PFD.
This will improve some frame rate drop issues.

1 Like

Yes i got it. From that panel i can also shut down co-pilots PDF display: bus “no.2 pdf”

1 Like

Did you visit the Marketplace, or add/remove something from “My Content”. That will reset your assistances to Easy across the board. It’s not the Kodiak doing that itself.

Thanks for replying.

I very rarely buy something from the marketplace these days so I’m not sure that could be the only culprit when this happens, but maybe. I this case, the only thing I did recently in that regard was downloading a few marketplace-updates for the CRJ the day before, could such updates also cause this behaviour?

1 Like

What’s the proper technique for a non-short field landing? If I flare, the aircraft seems to float forever and doesn’t seem to want to settle onto the runway… I use Vref of about 80 knots…

100% it can. It does it to me every time I update the Nxi

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I hope you can find away around it for night and low light flying.

If you like this plane, this guy is a definitely worth a watch :slight_smile:

@MissionaryBushPilot

LEARN HOW TO FLY the Simworks Kodiak 100 for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | e-Course - YouTube

1 Like