Snow Cover or No Snow Cover

Hello,

I think about only slider which set amount of % snow cover what can be changed also inside real weather. Then any one can set manually snow coverage as have in area around of flight. Now this slider is inside weather but can’t be set if real weather is ON. Till some best solution I think this can be good enough feature for all to not have bad or wrong injected snow cover.

1 Like

Ok, with this post now being flagged, i am almost certain there is an agenda behind this topic. Or what could then be the reason that this question is eliminated from the Q&A sessions the third time in a row? Was the Q&A cancelled fully?

2 Likes

My sincere apologies for the slight rant, it was covered in the stream just now, thanks

2 Likes

I understand. It’s easy to get heated about something you truly care about. All we want is the sim to be at its very best.

1 Like

Seb was “surprised” by this question. Tells you all you need to know. They are too concerned about being able to fly under bridges than sort out fundamental issues with the sim.

2 Likes

Sadly exactly what I suspected. Not the first time they give the impression that they do not really use their own product, otherwise it is inexplicable how certain stuff slip their attention for over two years…

7 Likes

Its a big problem if you fly a lot in the alps, as I do. I really don’t like using weather presets but I’m kind of forced to because so much of the alps are currently covered in snow, which clearly isn’t there in the real world right now. Live weather in the sim is so much more realistic and immersive, but the snow cover is completely wrong.

2 Likes

Lets just be glad that it is on their radar now.
Finally…

1 Like

We are, but did you hear what Seb said in the Q&A? He basically confessed that their QA is just inable, otherwise it would not have taken them more than a year and the question in the Q&A session to realize the fix they implemented to get roads free of snow did actually not work or was broken by a SU…

It would be great if Asobo could fast track the snow cover slider idea. It would certainly be great to get it this side of winter anyway.

I was wondering about that statement myself … for the last two years (not just since last winter) people kept telling Asobo that it makes no sense that roads and runways are covered in snow, especially in partial snow situations where you have just a bit of snow on fields, while the roads were snowed in completely.

There never was a fix … and if there was, it was so short lived that I missed it. Does anyone have actual screenshots or footage of clear roads and runways in a snowy landscape? I don’t.

The before and after screenshots in the Dev Q&A looks promising
also in yesterday’s SDK Q&A we had a confirmation that tha fix will be available in SU12
Let’s hope for the best, and hope for an early beta to test if the fix is enough to finally get a more realistic snow cover

3 Likes

Yeah, looks good. But since day one of the sim I’ve never seen the roads and runways in snow like that, so I don’t know which version of the sim Seb was using, but it sure wasn’t mine.

And of course this solution isn’t a solution for the main problem with snow: that there is snow in the first place where shouldn’t be any.

Some shots from February 2021. Note how the roads are not only not clear of snow but they are the only thing with snow on them in some parts:

And some shots from June (as in summer!) 2021. Yeah … that’s snow in the valleys at 25 C° (77 F°). Note the roads and the runway:

1 Like

Hello,

snow does same problem from ‘snow day 1’. Problem is looks like in sim used texture system and in case of snow presence - online data provider, this said also Sebastian, if I good remember. If online provider have sent no correct data then no one from us will be satisfied therefore I said somewhere that some slider with also real weather is required (% of snow cover). Then I set my preffered snow cover manually with also real weather. If I set slider to 0%, no snow cover I expect everywhere.

Think the screenshot provided in the Q&A is difference between SU11 and SU12
(From the footage of the WorlHub shown during the SDK Q&A is quite obvious that a su12 alpha is already in developement)

About the resolution data, Microsoft has what has paid for snow coverage
That’s likely some 10km per pixel?

They have finally declared that

Does the provider MeteoBlue has better data? Yes they have.

So they need to talk with MeteoBlue (and they lilkely will, when Jorg makes a promise usually he does), asking 2 simple things:

• can you? (Likely yes)
  • How much?

Maybe they will manage to obtain the same price of coarse data.
hope that more defined data isn’t too slow for their (and ours!) system to compute

Let’s keep the topic alive providing comparison with in sim snow placement and MeteoBlue comparison

2 Likes

Yes, I know. But during the Q&A Seb said the roads and runways already were clear of snow but the feature got broken at some point last year or so. It’s possible that he was only talking about a dev build and not the live version of the sim.

1 Like

Ok but the problem is not snow on road but snow with 30 degrees

1 Like

Perfect, just in time when the snow season is over.

6 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking…

I don’t get it either, in the Q&A vid he said it was an easy fix and even showed the fix working in the sim. If that’s so why not deploy it in the recent beta updates they have been released, one after the Q&A. So much focus again on addon aircraft and not the core functionality.

5 Likes