Snow Cover or No Snow Cover

Innsbruck, here we go again. :angry:

1 Like

A confirmation that detailed data will avoid this issue, even without the “disappeared” runways/aprons/roads fix

Coarse data provided by Meteoblue to Microsoft leading to snow everywhere

More detailed data, available from MeteoBlue,
with correct snow

6 Likes

Yup… I’d rather have the option to switch off snow altogether instead of having snow everywhere where it shouldn’t be. It’s like having buildings all over the lakes and oceans where shouldn’t be any either. It’s that bad for the weather realism.

@ Jigsaw407

No this isn’t better,

best is as I said before, to have slider with % of snow cover f.ex. In your case, you can set it to 0% with no snow everywhere, to me as I need some snow in my local area where I see it f.ex. i can set what is best to me. With your solution with switch ON/OFF you can be only you lucky. Better to say, also option to turn ON that MeteoBlue data can be good to have available. This can be switch like MeteoBlue Snow On/Off (as you’ve mentioned) and if it is Off then I can set snow cover with slider but this I leave to devs how to do that.

Bolzano today (slightly rainy):

Bolzano in FS with live weather:

So sad situation

4 Likes

I don’t know what that 2nd screenshot is supposed to be, but it for sure is neither MSFS nor Bolzano.

1 Like

It’s a shot from Snowpiercer, the movie with the whole world drowned in eternal winter. I’m sure he used it for comedic effect to bring the point home how bad and overdone the snow representation is. :wink:

2 Likes

Is anyone else having an issue where the sim is not displaying any snow cover at the moment…? This is my current view of North America - live weather is working, but no ground snow anywhere.

2 Likes

confirm that, no snow cover in any location at the moment. Live weather however is working fine, except for the snow.

Today the snow cover is back as expected, very strange. Maybe a server issue…?

are those screenshots taken from the “snow depth” maps?
where do you change between coarsed and detailed views?

Weather Maps | Live Satellite & Weather Radar - meteoblue

correct, those were taken on mobile phone,
the more you zoom out, the coarser the data become

1 Like

Snow not displayed those last few days is related to this issue: No live weather at all (February 2023). A fix has been implemented today on Live Weather server side, that is why snow is back. That fix is not fixing the original issue reported in that thread, it is something Asobo is working on with MeteoBlue.

That’s pretty wild, that the data is available at that higher level of detail – it would fix this issue completely if it was used!

2 Likes

It all about the price one want to pay for a service :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There is no accurate snow coverage in the alps. Im flying often in this area, the alps are suffering from the opposite problem. There is often way too much snow. Sometimes there is all in snow when OAT is +20 °C.

5 Likes

Bolzano is always covered from September to May LOL

Does “real” snow cover on the ground only work with Live Weather or is the weather system not working again? I haven’t flown in a few days and last night I performed a few flights originating at KASE and KSUN. I did not use Live Weather and I only adjusted the time of day to daylight because I did not want to do a night flight. The day (Feb 15) and other weather conditions were untouched. No ground snow anywhere around KASE or KSUN. There is plenty of snow on the ground IRL.

How could potentially the sim know if there is snow or no snow when NOT using live weather?

Oh, gee, I don’t know. There was snow on the ground Feb 15 when live weather was turned off simply to adjust time of day but it was still Feb 15. And, oh, by the way, we’ve had multiple feet of snow on the ground since November because, you know, it’s winter and some places have snow on the ground throughout the winter.

You mean like that?

ETA - I am certain that there have multiple times I have flown without live weather where there has been snow on the ground in appropriate locations.