Snow in southern AK

Anybody else noticed that? a month ago i thought: well okay, might be, up there. but mid june?
A bug, i take it?

regards

I was thinking exactly the same. Loaded in at Juneau airport this morning and it was covered in snow. Have observed a lot of snow cover flying about in south Alaska in last few days.
Juneau forecast 53F/12C🤷‍♂️.

I also saw the same over many areas in Alaska. I don´t live there, but these live cams are from today and you can still see some snow in the mountains. I don´t know how precise snow coverage is in game but yes, you should not see something like Antartica at least. Maybe snow related data is not updated on the servers and is just generated randomly in game.

Cheers

Hello,
Asking questions like, “Anyone else notice this?” we ask that people use Community Support. I moved your post there.

MSFS uses meteoblue for snow coverage, but unfortunately the lowest resolution which means snow on top of mountains often bleeds into the valleys and lower areas. It completely ruins large parts of the alps for a majority of the year.

Here is Alaska snow coverage today

If you zoom in you would get proper data, but unfortunatly MSFS doesn’t use that

Please upvote the existing thread here

They have not even acknowledged yet that this problem exists, let alone announced a fix.

3 Likes

Snow in Valdez Pionner PAVD too at end of June. On direct cam haven’t snow.

Interesting to know why its doing what it’s doing. Just did a flight from PASI (Sitka) to PAJN (Juneau) since the winds favored a visual approach up the Gastineau Channel to runway 26. The channel is completely iced over, and the airport/runways are totally white making them nearly impossible to see. Definitely upvoting this issue!

july 6 and its full on permafrost around anchorage!

its 16C outside :)))

Just as a comparison regarding this issue, I took some screenshots

1. Me flying near Zermatt, Switzerland (with the famous Matterhorn Mountain visible in the distance) with Live weather enabled:

Its in the middle of summer, but honestly not even during winter there is ever this much snow in that location. The entire town in the valley was buried under what would have to be 20 meters of snow cover.

1. Now, as a comparison, with live weather disabled:

Looks so much better, pretty much how it should.

Sad that I cant use live weather while near mountains ranges, because the snow literally covery every detail possible.

that´s a little bit of a contradiction there.

This is a known issue, You can check that post Still alot of snow and frozen water in the fjords and ocean - #5 by Delta2k5 .
Also you can search in the Bugs/Weather forum, there are a couple of threads about that, like this one Snow Cover or No Snow Cover