So much good with MSFS - but so much wrong

The errors that 3rd party content are causing should now well and truly be captured and reported to the user. There is no real excuse after 2 years for this sim CTD for errors such as a missed comma in a .gltf, or in a layout.json (for example).

No 3rd party content should be able to cause the sim to crash by now. But they still do.

3 Likes

Also a CTD recently because Windows Hardware Acceleration was turned on. Sighā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of that, would love to learn more about it. Can you elaborate?

Or, possibly a link to point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.

I donā€™t disagree with some of your comments but from someone who has worked with it since it came out and adapted to get it right I think you may have made different comments if you had come along for the ride. Donā€™t get me wrong it was hard work sometimes but luckily for me I did not feel tempted to go back to FSX , I donā€™t have any others. I made it my goal to get it working whatever it cost within my budget, and time costs nothing when retired. I am sure you will get it working for you, good luck.

I believe Asobo are working on FS2030 at the moment whilst we play it.

1 Like

This is quite wrong on a number of levels. Most of the advanced developers have been working directly with Laminar to avoid this very scenario.

And I havenā€™t mentioned seaplanes yetā€¦

1 Like

Neither of us had mentioned seaplanes.

Why?!? Why did you have to mention seaplanes now?!?

:joy:

:smiling_face_with_tear:

As for study level, I am optimistic but I will need to see it to believe it. Still a far cry from a custom built study level plane for 12. And that will be a wait. But if it works, it will be far better than waiting for them all to be built from scratch!

I am on Mac 100% of the time when I am not flying MSFS so I would love 12 to be great. My best computers are M1, not PC.

X-Plane still rules the ground, the sea, and the ground effect. MSFS only gives it a run for the money in the sky. But that is 100% of flyingā€¦ soā€¦

My problem going back to X-Plane is VFR is so good in MSFS, I am loving IFR in MSFS too! Because we need our eyes in both!

But you will NEVER hear me bad mouth X-Plane in here. Without it, the time between FSX and now would have been barren. It filled the void.

Iā€™ll buy it even if I donā€™t fly it. And I will fly it. Austin and Co. have earned my trust. I just firmly believe in flying two sims. Because one is always broken in a way the other isnā€™t. And that way, you can always fly the way you want to fly on any given day.

In this hobby, it is always nice to be able to send software to the hangar for repairs while you fly using your other software.

1 Like

That is a great point!

Seaplanesā€¦cos I flew one once on a lake in Africa and Laminar is working directly with seaplane pilots to get the physik right. In the real world a seaplane is a thing of beauty, to me anyway.

And there are multiple mentions in this forum lamenting water physics.

2 Likes

My favorite current plane is the Goose.

But takeoffs and landings are extra tricky. Sometimes a sim is more difficult than really but that brings gaming into the equation andā€¦ well, it adds to the fun. For me. And I know it is not perfect physics. But I feel like if I can thread the needle with it in MSFS, I somehow become a better pilotā€¦ even though I never will fly.

Crazy, but thatā€™s sims for you.

1 Like

I got the sim on release date and I never had stability issues with the sim until SU8. Since then I have barely been able to complete a flight, neither in VR nor 2D. I donā€˜t see why I should remove my addons that work well for other people and a confirmed to be compatible. Itā€˜s the platform that has a problem, not the few addons I use. All of them have been developed and compiled using the official SDK and all of them have worked flawlessly under SU7. But a constantly breaking platform like MSFS, as good as its idea and features are, has to run as a stable base. You know Jenga I guess? If the foundation is unstable you canā€˜t build on top. Fullstop.

If you punctuate with a period, there is no further need to say, ā€œFull stop.ā€ it becomes redundant.

We say it because we cannot see it. Period.

See?

:yum:

I need to sleep.

2 Likes

NO, I donā€™t see your point !!! :roll_eyes:

Thatā€™s too bad. What were we talking about before?

The GOOD, the BAD & the UGLY ?

( Hint: Clint Eastwood as ā€œthe Goodā€, . Alfredo SĆ”nchez Brell as ā€œthe Uglyā€ )

That only leaves the BAD

Yeah, I feel you! CTDs are really the worst. Especially, when you love doing the big ones realistically, and you go through all the steps of setting everything up, and then, just upon push back, boomā€¦ CTD.
Thatā€™s why I really enjoyed my XP11 install on my old system. It was super stable.
Now, I got myself a new system, (almost same as yours, but with a RTX 3060Ti instead), and Iā€™m not able to download the product in the first place. Thatā€™s almost as disappointing. :man_shrugging:t2::wink:

:rofl::rofl::rofl: :grin:

Thanks for the smile xD

Just a thought here in more general terms. Two things I can think of. My speculation only.

Do you download a lot of software for evaluation? Do you use free trial stuff? Do you install a lot of different games? In any of those cases, software sellers may install code on your system that, for example, collects your usage data, but such code is not uninstalled when you uninstall the program. Not all of this is lethal but some of it is potentially dangerous because it can interfere with timely system processing, i.e. it can cause system pauses. And letā€™s not forget about how some folks are executing cyber attacks on western civilization. :wink:

Hardware is a strange commodity. Seriously, they drove up the price of GFX cards into the thousands of dollars by exploiting them for crypto (The currency of criminals looking to hide their ill-gotten gains, I wonder if the GFX chip manufacturers are in on it). Thus, there are ā€˜knockoffsā€™, even in GFX cards. When you purchase a ā€˜cheapieā€™, it may have a chip in it that is similar to but does not operate exactly like what you thought you were buying. Some folks think nothing of reverse engineering IP and selling the copy as an exact duplicate. By the time you add the buzzwords and packaging, the average consumer doesnā€™t have legal knowledge of what theyā€™re actually buying. Now, add in the ā€˜shortageā€™ caused by the cargo ships waiting offshore to be unloadedā€¦ :wink:

Just a couple of thoughts. None of it is actually true. :wink:

For approx. 15 month I use MSFS with no CTD. But it is the only game I have on my machine. I do not have any add on on it, is enough what is offered to fly in a serious manner.
As a retired private pilot I appreciate it. What I have to criticise is, that the autopilot is not functional (approximately 90% failure) also ILS approaches are not so as it could be. There is still a lot to do to stabilize it. From the beginning I have the impression that it got worsened with every update
I transfered a lot of bug reports but obviously without success.

Where is the list of them (post SU9) so that I can check to see if the problem Iā€™m having is known? Iā€™d rather not ā€œreinvent the wheelā€. In the past Asobo has published a ā€œKnown Issuesā€ page with the release of each SU, but I donā€™t find one for SU9.

Thanks!

If the term headroom doesnā€™t mean anything to you, this might help.
The optimization regarding the access to the hardware is not the yellow of the egg.
FS approves, understandably, every free resource.
But it becomes problematic when the OS suddenly claims a larger part for itself. Or the CPU massively throttles down due to thermal overload. If the latter happens e.g. because of AVX, we are talking about 800MHz steps here. At that moment it sometimes happens that FS chokes on it and acknowledges it with a CTD. Thatā€™s a lack of headroom. The OS allocates the resources, but FS canā€™t handle the lows.

But Asobo is working on this optimization with every SU. So far Iā€™ve fixed it for myself for this time by not completely releasing all resources. (Underclock Ringbus+AVX, Separated OS Cores over Lasso etc.