Software for buttkickers?

You want a high and low pass filter ideally if using audio to drive them. Depends on what hardware you are using but something like 30hz - 200hz for example.

Some amplifiers let you do this, or pretty sure you can set filters in eg voicemeeter banana but it’s been a while since I used it.

Yep I am using the low pass filter on buttkicker gamer 2, which I understand means only the low frequency sounds will cause vibration. But I am thinking about compressing the volume levels of the low frequency sounds, ie boosting the volume+vibration of the quiet sounds and reducing the volume of the louder sounds to avoid clipping/knocking.

I seem to recall that the SimShaker aviator (or it might be the sound module add on) has a feature to help with clipping for louder sounds. I have it activated and it helps quite a bit (I haven’t changed that setting in a quite a while which is why I don’t recall the details). I just turn up the amp output on the BK amp to a good level for engine rumble and it works well for ground roll bumps but also is not so loud that it clips or overwhelms the BK at peak like when landing.

1 Like

Yes, you want to use a high pass too though… it’s the lower frequencies (eg sub 30hz) that are likely causing the bottoming out… with the high pass filter any frequencies below the set frequency will roll off and diminish in accordance with whatever filter type you are using.

I would try that before compression, it’s a very easy setup. With the right high pass you will probably achieve similar effect to what you want, being able to turn up the power without causing problems like knocking at low frequencies.

1 Like

Yeah it has the option for compression, but iirc that only applies to the generated effects and not game audio? Been a while since I was playing about with the settings and I get mixed up between what sound module offers and what his simshaker wings (for IL2 etc) offers as they aren’t identical.

I use a soundblaster Play3 USB sound card for my buttkicker. More simple (less software) and works great. HOWEVER since about SU7 my sin FREEZE or CTD often and so I try to not run anything else that might cause this to happen. = ( It has forced me out of using this. I also REALLY LOVE FSREALISTIC but again - the sim freezes so much I don’t play it much now. I wait for each update install and cross my fingers. = (

One other problem I have, which I guess is with the bk itself, is the rumble seems to trigger only from left audio channel. This is without any extra software, just bk amp plugged into my audio out. It is not often noticeable in the cockpit, but obvious in external views - there is rumble when aircraft is to left of camera, but none when camera is rotated slightly so aircraft is on right.

Does anyone know if this is normal for bk gamer 2? I guess I could somehow force the output to mono somehow, but ideally would avoid this as am currently not using an extra sound card, and am taking the same bk audio feed to my vr headset. Thanks a lot!

The plug from the computer to the BK should be using the headphone jack from your motherboard audio out port…and in the BK software check the box for mono. That’s how I have it set up and it works well and I don’t have the left/right problem you mentioned.

I have actually not been using any software so far. If you are checking the box for mono then it sounds like it is by design, and I will have to get the software to force mono and then possibly the extra soundcard for stereo audio to my vr headset (although maybe the virtual audio device created by virtual desktop will work in stereo, without the need for another hardware soundcard). Thanks again for your help!

EDIT reviewing the wiring behind my desk, indeed only the left channel of the audio output plugs into the BK amp, so this behaviour is to be expected without additional software or converter

I use the dedicated software Simshaker for Aviators and Simshaker Sound Module (so 2 pieces of software)…and a dedicated soundcard for the BK. But I have also used a $15 USB sound card that was just as easy and worked great, the only reason I installed the $35 sound card in a pcie slot was to have the ability to adjust the frequencies sent to the BK a bit easier, but either way works. Also, I have seen some users plug the BK into the headphone port on the front of the computer case as opposed to the headphone port on the back of the case/motherboard. All of those can work. The benefits of the dedicated Simshaker software noted in this thread and others is that you can adjust the sound effects that are sent to the BK, so for example more haptic effect for things like landing and ground role and less for other things so you aren’t just getting a blended and somewhat muddled effect at the same volume level for all of it. But however you set it up, the immersion is enhanced and it’s a great part of the sim experience and worth the cost in my view.

2 Likes

Be aware that to get the Simshaker Sound Module add-on software (that compliments the Simshaker for Aviators software to allow it to work with the BK and MSFS) it is a small fee to the developer, and he’s based in Ukraine so not sure of his ability to reply and process the license key at the moment, and the payment to him was in rubles through paypal and it may now be impacted by sanctions and the war.

Yes, I was just trying to buy and saw that its only roubles - not sure I wish to share details and attempt that payment at this time. Hope he is ok.

I also noticed on the website that there is a compressor option in the software as well (as I theorised about above), it seems they have thought of everything !

The “Limiting Compressor” option allows us to reduce a huge noise that Buttkicker GR2 may produce while clipping high-level signals. Usually, that occurs when more than one FXs are played simultaneously or gain sliders are set to high positions to emphasize “small details”. The compressor reduces high-level signals, keeping FXs with low-level signals to be clearly “pronounced”.

Sorry, one more thought…I have seen posts that the SimHub software developer may be working on supporting Buttkickers and MSFS in the upcoming release of a new version of SimnHub. I currently use SimHub with my BK for auto racing sims but can’t use for MSFS, so that would be great to have another software option to allow MSFS to speak to the BK. So, if you have trouble getting the SimShaker software from the ukranian developer you could look at SimHub on their website and contact them to see about any near term plans to support MSFS (it already supports a lot of other games, just not MSFS yet)

1 Like

Hi I have now been able to activate the software and wondered if you could kindly share your setup as mentioned ? Thanks a lot

FYI, on my Quest 2 via Virtual Desktop I have been able to mix the sim shaker and MSFS audio without needing to buy a second sound card:

-Set sim shaker to output to Voice meter virtual input 1.
-In voice meter, set this input to mono to fix the problem I mentioned above
-Set MSFS to output to Voice meter virtual input 2
-In voicemeter, set output to the line out that the BK is connected to. Then both inputs will be sent to the BK together
-In windows , select voice meter virtual input 2 in the volume bar. Then you hear only MSFS through the headset, but feel MSFS+Sim shaker through the buttkicker.

Thanks to those of you who convinced me to get the sim shaker as well - whilst I wrote above I was impressed with the default audio feed, now I can feel getting hit by a gust of wind or a wing thats about to stall. With VR and VR controllers the immersion is incredible !

1 Like

Sure. Here is a pic.

1 Like

How do you mix sound when in VR?
I get all my sounds, radios etc, in HP G2

What do you mean by mixing sounds? If you are trying to have the buttkicker only receive/play the sound effects and not all of the other general stuff like ATC and such, you either need 1) a dedicated usb or pcie sound card for the buttkicker or 2) the voicemeete r software that is a virtual sound card.

How can you get sound out of the G2 headset, and the computer to the buttkicker at the same time with the standard sound card installed?

It seems to override the external sound on my PC.

In Windows Sound settings there is an option to “mirror headset sound to desktop”. Look in the sound options for the part about virtual reality (or windows mixed reality) sound options.