Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

I used the default A320 and had the same stutters as with the FBW.
Only difference with the FBW is a lower fps.

Stuttering remains even after latest 1GB update.

A reminder that the stuttering is a new problem. Most of us have been able to use the same graphics settings for a long time with no problems. And also to drive the point home: The stutter is there even if you turn the graphics setting down to ‘Low-end’.

1 Like

Before the latest fix I only had stutters with MP on. Without it everything was smooth on ultra settings.

Now it’s stuttering in specific places (at least so far) - tried flying 5 times from Hong Kong to Manila and everytime it started stuttering right after getting to the Philippines coast.
Same with a short flight from RJOR to RJAA.
Stuttering in these place got so bad for me, i couldnt even move the cam around.

On the other hand, flew from EDDP to EGMC with MP on and everything went smooth.

Bottom line - this game can make you waste hours on a flight just to get some insane stuttering at the end without being able to continue to the approach.

Latest fix is a total load of ■■■■. They just try to fix the least important things in the game and damage the flight experience almost after every update.

4 Likes

I litteraly tried everything to get rid of microsutters. I failed and stopped using the sim since a couple of weeks. I finally received my rtx 3080 this week and can upgrade from my rtx 3060ti (which is far to be a slow card. It is an excellent card). I’ll check whether I can get rid of these micro stuttter. Up until now I was GPU bound. Let’s see how it works with the new rtx 3080.

I’ve just updated Windows with the latest optional update (KB5001391), and my first flight was way better in terms of performance and stuttering than before the update. Averaging 35-40 FPS in the King Air cockpit (before 15-25), and now up to 60 Outside (25-35 before). No major stutters or drops in FPS on approach like before :smiley: This is what I was achieving before I updated Windows back in April.

@PliantWings5288 @PLATOE @EdgarsK86

If any of you are using 2 or more monitors, you need to check if you have KB5001391 installed … the last three are the two dodgy ones, and the fix at the top of the list

You should also check your pagefile.sys size. If it is set to system managed, and you use have 16GB of memory, it will default to never getting bigger than 1/8 of your drive size. If that is a 240GB drive, it will never get bigger than 30GB — I was regularly going up to 48GB with 16GB RAM. If so, you need to change to manual cache and put it to 52GB, then keep an eye on it and if it never gets above 42GB or 32GB you can drop it in size.

I also noticed I was getting micro stutter (0.1 seconds every two or three seconds) when using an HDD for the rollingcache.ccc, which I suggest keeping on a separate drive to the pagefile.sys I am lucky, I have one SSD for Win10, one for MSFS 2020, and another one I use for the rollingcache.ccc

The Microsoft store update to 1.15.10.0 addressed stutter which was “run 1second, pause 1/2 second, run 1 sec, pause 1.2 second” If your stutter is different to this, then it could be something else. If you watch a vehicle drive along the apron/taxiway/runway (not roads), and they still move for a sec, then pause 1/2 second, it’s not fixed — loading huge airports is usually one cause of stuttering, but it will be irregular.

I few days ago KB5001391 installed.
Windows 10 runs on first SSD M2, Only MSFS on second SSD M2.
Still microstutters and and sometimes a bigger stutter.
Moving rolling cache to third drive make no difference.

All not used programs uninstalled from first windows SSD M2.
No unnecessary background programs.
Virus scanner in game mode and also completely turned of.
No difference, still microstutters and sometimes a bigger stutter.

Don’t know what this is about.

I have FS2020 installed on D:\FS2020\ drive and subdirectory.

No problems…

An update from yesterday, I’ve just started another flight. Same settings, same area (Western Australia). It’s back to ■■■■ FPS (15-25) and stuttering. It seems to be common that a fix/upgrade works on the first flight but after that its :poop: again :rage:
This thing is an absolute JOKE.

1 Like

Can you post a video of the stuttering?

Microsoft Flight Simulator performance issues - YouTube

1 Like

Hmmm … it’s not stuttering in that video “Flying to Azores” from 12th January until around 2:50, and then a bit more by 3:15.
In the “Aegean Airlines” one from 16th January, it’s not stuttering at all it seems until 5:30
I guess the biggest difference is that the first one has lots of houses around the airport, the second one deosn’t, and the stutter appears in the 2nd when you are near the buildings and lights.
It would suggest either a RAM or VRAM bottleneck, where the number of objects increases and so causes the bottleneck to reveal itself.
What sort of faps do you get?

I get this sort of thing at night: https://youtu.be/2HMBcNBZqDE?t=466
And in the daytime at a large airport: https://youtu.be/wipoj9GotRg?t=1915
You’ll see the stutter more looking out of the left side-window

They were with 16GB RAM, a manual cache set at 52GB, 20GB rollingcache.ccc, a Ryzen 1600X and an R9 390 with 8GB VRAM — all graphics settings medium or low & no manual cache.

I’ll run a flight tonight on bumped up graphics settings, as your video looks like you have things set a little higher than me. I get around 21-25 faps normally around the airports, but larger ones give me more stutter.

Added after graphics bump:
I turned most things to ultra, and bumped up the anti aliasing etc. and increased sampling to 8x8, shadow maps to and terrain lod to 150.
I started to get the stuttering like you had, but only at Heathrow.
The problem is I bought an extra 16GB of RAM last week, so I have 32GB now, and the system does not use the pagefile.sys anymore. It hardly uses more than 6GB and that was at JFK, at Heathrow just now in the C152 it was using 6% of 48GB = 2.6GB
When I had 16GB of RAM, it woud use a massive pagefile of around 32-48GB and would have stuttered quite a lot - my memory is 2400MHz so not that fast

1 Like

I have found only ONE solution to the stutters and framerate drops; after landing I re-start MSFS.

I get excellent frame rates (35-40) with NO stutters on my first fight (no matter how long the first leg is). After landing, and taking off again on a second leg, my framerate drops (20’s then 10’s then single digits over 30min), stutters appear, GPU usage drops significantly (10-20%, normally 80-90%), and memory increases (30GB +). After a while the sim is unplayable.

If I reboot the game and fly the second leg I am back to excellent frame rates again, and minus the stutters.

I have tried all the tips and tricks on this thread, and nothing works for me.
It seems that memory is not being released after I land, causing the sim to bog down.

i7 9700KF, 32GB, RTX2070S, 1440p, Utra settings,

3 Likes

I just did my usual pre-F1 race flights, A320 into local airport and H135 helo out to the track for a fly around. It was lovely on leaving, just a little stuter with an AI A380 for a few seconds, then lovely graphics as i left Marseille. BUT, there was an extremely heavy thunderstorm over Barcelona, and as I arrived at the airport the stuttering was absolutely terrible !!

Once I reduced volumetric clouds to HIGH from ULTRA, the stuttering disappeared. When I left Barcelona in the H135 helicopter, flying over the city was a little stuttery, so I reduced the object detail as well to 150. I believe most of this is related to graphics settings and things like a massive thunderstorm needing clouds turning down and flying over Barcelona city with lots of objects needing object detail turning down sort of shows the limitations of my system.

I’ll be leaving them on high for now, and see how that goes and maybe pump a few of them up next week when I can test with high loads and lots of ppl flying around. I guess we have to just find the balance of our system vs. detail.

I would say, however, that going to 32GB really has made a huge difference.
I might have got away with 16GB and a fast graphics card or fast processor, but with a gen1 Ryzen and an old R9 8GB gcard I buying more memory was the best cost-effective one for me.

Who knows, if I win the lottery I might splash out on a new PC, but until then I am stuck with HIGH gfor most settings instead of ULTRA :¬)

Amidst the tons of my daily CTDs, yesterday I had my first few stutters and I finally understood what it is that people are talking about. In at least 2-3 consecutive flights in western Turkey at the middle of nowhere during cruising and for no apparent reason at all, MSFS would suddenly go to 5 frames per second or so for half a minute and then it’d recover on its own (back to 55-60fps). I didn’t do or load anything differently and before yesterday I had never seen this before. MSFS never fails to surprise me and some people would think this is probably a good thing.

WOW! lol, I get 28-30fps if I’m lucky lol :¬)

I’m experiencing the same issue since the last May update even on Medium settings. Hope this issue will be fixed.

Used to have 28-35 FPS before this on Ultra settings almost in any airport.

Laptop Config.
Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
RAM 20.0 GB
RTX 2060 6Gb Latest Drivers
SSD: 512Gb

I still get the stutters. I am using default a320. Stutters can be quite bad but only happened when coming in for landing regardless of airport, and sometime taxiing around the airport but not inflight. Anyone have similar experiences, that the stutters only occurred toward landing? I have no addon airport btw.

Same for me, stutters near all larger airports, cities and other planes.
And often i get random stutters on other places as well.
Had a much smoother experience in my G2 before the last couple of updates.

The truth is, ASOBO has no idea where the performance issue is coming from. Each user looks for a solution but without success except for the placebo effect. Some users plan to change their PC configuration. In reality, even on the largest configurations, the performances are disappointing (compared to before) and sometimes the software remains usable but for others it is unusable. I don’t have the impression that the solution is for now and that we will have to wait …