Solution for Stutters & Pauses (updated for SU5)

Well there you have it… Thanks DomeMs!
Even with Intel i9 10900K (over 5ghz) or AMD 3950x, stuttering appears …
So as already innumerable times stated in this forum and in others,
the problem lies with the badly programmed MSFS graphics engine and
terrain loading / caching system.

2 Likes

Right, hobanagerik,
Some have a well, lean, graphics and terrain loading engine,
and some not…

1 Like

It’s not the engine because there are enough people without problems.
It’s all about the hardware configuration and the resolution and in-game settings someone uses.

Your CPU (Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.00GHz) impact on FPS is -7.2 FPS.
Your CPU and possibly your motherboard are the restrictions for your powerfull graphics card.

And yes flightsims are demanding software programs, but people are also.

and we not should forget the multiplayer aspect and the age of MSFS ( it’s for me still EA ).

In special because one user here can’t stop to compare MSFS with DCS, which is zero comperable with its handcrafted/hand-optimized maps ( and for most users not multiplayer ) , I have a funny link ( one of many ) :

:rofl:

The users just forget that good software or its optimizations needs time… a very long time…

I had similar thinking for a while… this short moment of “…” while land is like a switch from air-controlled to ground-controlled and seems not happen for the small airports.

1 Like

Wait what? Almost 700 comments into this thread and it’s OUR fault again? Nice.

3 Likes

No it’s not your and not my fault.

You won’t understand it.
A flight sim is a demanding program and we, if we like it or not, have to have the right hardware and have to trottle down our setting to get the best game play.

It’s the configuration of all the hardware parts, the resolution and the in-game settings that matters.
I don’t have a high power rig, but a medium one.
But my components are equal when looking at speed.
CPU and GPU work together and non of the two are more powerfull or faster then the other.
CPU has no pos. or neg. impact on FPS.

I can not run the sim completely on high settings, but that’s a compromise because of my hardware.
(Intel i5 9600K running on 4.8 Ghz OC, Nvidia RTX 2060 + 98 Mhz OC, 32 GB mem, 2 x 1TB SSD M2, G sync wide monitor 2560x1080).

My in-game settings:

• All settings High without - Trees, Grass, Glass cockpit - medium, Lens flare - off, terrain level 75.
  • AI traffic - offline
  • Traffic airports life - all 40
  • Photogrammartry - off
  • Live world air traffic - off
  • Manual air traffic - both 30
  • Live weather - off
  • Multiplayer - off
  • Rolling Cache - 32 GB

With this setting i have a average outside FPS 50 - 99% FPS 30 and inside cockpit FPS 40 - 99% FPS 25. During flight i have no visible or disturbing micro stutters, but occasionally little stutter on long ATC calls or with air traffic in area.

2 Likes

OK fair enough, that was a solid and complete argument.

I fly the WT CJ4 without Stutters & Pauses.

i9-9900K CPU
GTX 1660 TI GPU
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus MB
64 GB SDRAM
1 500GB Samsung 970 Plus M.2 NVMe (C: partition = Win 10, D: = FS2020)
1 1TB Intel 665p M.2 NVMe ( 3 partitions. _ All other)
TLC Roku 4K TV/Monitor - HDMI 60 cps

FS2020 set to pure 4K Ultra with Render Scaling = 100
FPS = 24 (16 in NYC, NY USA

16 FPS without stutters?
16 FPS looks like stutters for my eyes. :wink:

2 Likes

You are right. “for my eyes”

I have seen Youtube videos where users were complaining of
stutters, etc. and I could not see any.

I can’t make a video to let you see the flight. Don’t know how.

Anyway, this was the point of my Post.

I wonder how many of us have the same display “stutters” and have
a complaint (see it) or not.

Note: I’m not saying that there are no “stutters & pauses” that other users see and have.

I’m just saying that I can fly along at 3000 feet over NYC and it looks
gorgeous.

And, there are users with PC specs less than mine and they are happy.

Hopefully, ASOBO can figure out the reason for the stutters & pauses.

1 Like

Anyone notice less RAM usage in big cities since the recent patch? I wonder if its from compression of textures. It’s made the game noticeable smoother… unless you break mach one, 800 feet above Paris, then FPS tanks and ram usage spikes.

But mach 1, over around KLAX, at 500 feet is smooth. Kind of strange given that both cities have photogrammetry

For me the frustration is the lumpiness of the performance. London is smooth as you like, but a flight like the one I just had starting in Atlantic City smoothly and being cut short before arrival in Philadelphia (Brandywine) because of the insane stuttering / slideshow is so demoralizing.

I agree there are fewer stutter fields than just after WU4 but by God, their are still several around and they can totally ruin the experience. I swear it wasn’t this bad for a few months after release, and that was with much larger vegetation LODs. They’ve really borked something in the performance…

In the last few weeks several folks have been sharing in this forum that they will be flying xplane again… seems like msfs is letting customers down regarding IFR flying, random bugs usually introduced with updates and low performance (stutters, fps decrease after sometime flying etc).
Open your eyes Asobo and MS! This means you are probably not monetizing as much as you could be…

1 Like

It’s not that bad lol

1 Like

Are they, though? Trust me, they’ll be back.

it’s for me the most mistake in the topics :slight_smile:

Low amount of FPS is not same as “Stutters and Pauses”. We tried for a while for seperate the topics, but it ends allways in a big mix.

Low FPS comes, as you said, mostly from user settings where users believe they can use Ultra setting. In my opinion, if a game comes on market it should never be playable in a “ultra” setting , also not with the best hardware which is currently available. And this in special for longfile simulaltors…

Low fixed/constant FSP is not necessarly a bad thing. What is “low” depends on each users “eyes” and of course the content you play ( e.g Jet vs Cessna ). Users which play 90% here time games with 100fps, want not happy about 20fps Simulator FPS. The old simmers know nothing else as 20fps and there eyes/brain is trained for this :wink: ( and have you ever read a bug-report that Blue-Ray 24p stutters ? ) Often I have the feeling that the main-game is not the game/sim itself, its more a overwatch-game of an fps counter.

The mentioned 16fps is realy hard, but as said… constant 16fps is not stuttering.

Stutters: are these very high jumps in fps, or the microstuttering issues, etc. You can have stuttters with low and high FPS.

Pauses: are these 1…2…5 second stops/freezes. Its also not a fps thing, the game simple stops.

Low FPS can user normaly ‘fix’ itself… stutters and pauses not.

5 Likes

Is it not possible that this is a monitor sync problem, when the stutters coming within the same time frame. When someone has a G-sync monitor then it is possible that the stutters are less. G-sync together with V-sync can lower sync problems.

I have tested it with the - G-SYNC PENDULUM DEMO

Off course random stutters must be something else!

of course , this is another aspect that stutters can come from the monitor sync and it seems for the users the game itself stutters. This was often a discussionin also in this thread ( example ).

There is a detail about stuttering, which is not being considered.
Why are there many users, (like me), who in the early versions (1.9 - 1.10…) of the game, did not experience any kind of stuttering?. However, in later versions (1.13 - 1.14 - 1.15) if they refer to stutters of different classes.
Also, without having modified software or hardware.
Someone can explain it to me…

Thank you

2 Likes

Hello Gentlemen,

Been following this piece since the git go and would like share an experiment that seems to have given me a smooth, consistent flight although I’ve not tested at all major airports. Have flown the a32nx, 172(both versions), and Baron for a good mix at KATL, KRIC, KBCB, KLAX, and others for a reasonable sample as well as spawning inflight.

System: i7 10700K o/c to 5,1 with GTX 1600Ti (certainly not the strongest but what I have. ASUS Prime Z490-P MB.

LG 4k 27" Monitor with 3840x2160 native resolution.

What I did was to create a 4053x2268 resolution that I use in the game with settings between low and mid with most at medium and some left at off. I will grant that my average fps is just above 30 in flight but, for this system, the ride is smooth almost constantly which was my goal when this idea flew into my head today, 5/15.

Perhaps someone could give it a try and report back.

Thanks.

PS Been doing this since it first appeared on an Apple and was/am a pilot with 8200+ in military, commercial, and civ aircraft. Am also an old f…!