South Africa world update

I’d prefer the continent to be done, big a job as that would be (but no bigger than, say, the USA) rather than a single country in it.

2 Likes

Cape Town with photogrammetry would be amazing.

2 Likes

I’d absolutely like to see one day the Table Mountain to be done in photogrammetry

1 Like

The more coverage around the whole world, the better.

1 Like

First off, thank you so much for an amazing sim… it’s incredible what you guys have achieved!

Some love for Africa, or even Southern Africa would be amazing.

I am doing a world trip and slowly making my way through Africa. While there are a lot of flat places, it’s not a pancake continent :slight_smile:

Even a terrain update would be amazing. Victoria Falls is completely flat.

Thanks! :love_you_gesture:

Hi there,
I altered your topic slightly and tagged it africa.

There is another topic for northern Africa and I don’t want it to overlap with that too much:

Please also note that there is a world update request for the country of South Africa:

Hi @N316TS ,

No problem and thank you. I’m just happy to have some love thrown at Africa in general.

I’m from South Africa, so that would be great too!

Cheers

2 Likes

a lot depends on available data, i guess it is sparse over africa.
i am pretty glad with the way it is now tho.

Feel free to vote for all applicable Wishlist topics that you’re interested in!

In previous Developer Q&As, the team has stated their intention to go around the world. I think that some of their decision-making on timing depends on availability of new data, cooperation with local agencies, etc. I have faith that they will eventually show Africa some love!

3 Likes

Africa is one of the best bush piloting areas in the world. My only negative is lack of charts. Best I can find for Africa is the Perry Castaneda Collection at University of Texas. Aeronautical Charts - Perry-Castañeda Map Collection - UT Library Online
They are around 50 years old, will print out the area where I am flying then pencil in missing airport and airnav data and changes.

1 Like

Dedication to the cause!

Love this idea and useful to have these maps! Definitely going to save this link.

Thanks for the support

South Africa and Malawi would be great for some update of the topography and Bing Maps :+1:.

1 Like

I am due to fly from Livingstone Int. and will make my way up there

Can we have sim update in Africa

3 Likes

Ok west Africa include Togo Senegal Benin Nigeria etc.

yo nasa released public / free 30m elevation data for africa back in 2003. looks pretty good.

Elevation data at the highest possible resolution from NASA

{ SRTM Data Release for Africa, Colored Height }

1 Like

Can confirm SA is a great country.
Have been there 5 times in the past and despite the horrible past ( apartheid) the majority of the locals were very friendly.
Must see is Robbeneiland and table mountain ( skip the gift shop)
We also rented a C172 at Stellenbosch (FASH) and flew around the cape of good hope.
The vineyards with their wine tastings, all of the bars and restaurants,( my personal T-bone record was 1 Kg which was excellent but too much at te same time ( took me 3 days to digest) and of course their braais.
Fun fact, on one flight from Capetown (FACT) to Amsterdam (EHAM) I forgot to kill my smartphone and after a while I received a ‘welcome to Namibia’ text message.
We were flying at around 30,000ft so I was pretty surprized.

1 Like

I’d like an Africa WU, and Africa based activities also.

However I suspect available data is a problem. Further, to be completely honest it appears the WU are focused on the biggest markets for the sim.

Quite a bit bigger than the U.S.A
But still needs to be done!
main-qimg-8ecd3d9d62f61d4e5b6df92d6051943f-pjlq.jpeg

1 Like

In lieu of an Africa world update, I would personally prefer multiple world updates for Africa. If they encompass the entire continent in one update, then no one particular area could get much attention.

1 Like