Still can't control the aircraft while looking around with mouse right click - and in MSFS2020 never will be able to?!

It is the same with my other mouse and also tested with my Logitech wireless keyboard, which have a pad and left/right buttons…

I tested my Bonanza G36 Improvement Project cold and dark on a ramp, and also airborne @ 5,000 ft.

Alpha Yoke, Bravo TQ, Crosswinds Rudder. All controls worked fine while panning with mouse right-click-hold. All are controlled with a SPAD profile.

Wired or wireless mouse made no difference.

I have no idea what’s different about my system that makes it work fine for me with the mouse bindings I have set in the sim (which I listed above.)

I’m happy to test different things if anyone has any ideas (except of course changing how I control the aircraft with the peripherals I have.)

Try without using SPAD.

AFAIK, SPAD uses the exact same Simconnect variables the sim uses for simple Yoke/TQ controls like those in the Bonanza.

But I’ll do that, only because I want to help you guys figure out what’s going on here. I’ll shut SPAD off, and use the default sim profiles for the Alpha/Bravo.

Back with a report shortly. If that’s the difference, I’ll ask the guys on the SPAD Discord, “Why?”

Just to add more data to my previous post : I don’t use SPAD. My Community folder contain FBWA320 only,… Might it be also interesting to control these 2 settings inside General Options : 1) Flight Model = Modern , 2) Accessibility /Cockpit Interactions Systems = Legacy.

SPAD is the difference. When I shut it off and used the default Alpha/Bravo profiles, I had no yoke or TQ control while panning. When I restarted SPAD, and changed the sim to the SPAD profiles (which are essentially empty) it worked fine again.

Good call, @francobfort

I’m off to Discord!

1 Like

Great! Then we should ask Asobo why their controller management can’t do what others can. Perhaps the SPAD team can help Asobo figure this out.

3 Likes

I think that is your answer. You aren’t using sim bindings for your primary controls. Ah, I see you came to the same conclusion.

Yes, but the question is, how is SPAD controlling the peripherals differently?
AFAIK they’re the same Simconnect axis bindings the sim’s profiles use.

I don’t know that, so we’ll see what the SPAD gurus have to say about it.

Edit: Here’s the SPAD answer (from the developer.)

It is MSFS UI bug. One would think they would have fixed it by now. SPAD or any other integration software doesn’t get affected by it, cause they access variables and commands directly, bypassing MSFS control interface:

So I take it back. OP is right - it is a bug.

5 Likes

@crazyhorsejesol

Are you using the sim profiles, or do you use SPAD, MobiFlight, or something else?

Are they though? I’ve seen several comments where users have stated that certain keyboard bindings aren’t accessible via SimConnect, and they were waiting for the SDK to include them. It’s possible none of those bindings use SimConnect at all.

1 Like

See my edit a couple of posts above. It is a bug that SPAD circumvents.

Bummer.

Yes, that makes sense. It’s a bug that got introduced in SU5 I believe, the advent of the XBox version, and the inclusion of a second method of interaction: lock on, or Legacy. And it’s been broken ever since, scarcely acknowledged by the developers, other than to confirm its a bug, and wrapped up tightly in the console integration.

Another one to add to the list of things I don’t want to see in 2024, but fully expect to.

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, I only use sim profiles.Never used Spad,MobiFlight or other external softwares. I am not a software expert but it seems to me that a real bug should effect everybody . As said , I am not effected by it.

Bugs have triggers. Just because it hasn’t been triggered for you doesn’t mean it’s not a bug. And as we saw above, users who said they weren’t affected by it was eventually revealed as to why.

1 Like

I’ve also had this issue since the SU that introduced it. I do work around it using the middle-mouse toggle but I don’t like it :grimacing: Luckily, I use VR or TrackIR most of the time.

To add to the OP’s first post, it is very frustrating that these regression bugs are not fixed and often not acknowledged or planned for a future fix. Same for blatant bugs that, while they don’t destroy your flight, really detract from the experience.

You’ll know many already:

• Parking spot choice resets to a runway spawn, when changing livery etc.
  • Dewpoint given worldwide on every ATIS report is fixed at 10°C
  • Outside air temperature gauge on C152 uses a made-up scale, with °C and °F not matching - trivial but SUCH a simple fix! (Personal favourite, if trivial)
  • When a controller is ‘noisy’ around its centre-point, it makes the mouse movement ‘stick’ and lag (may be VR-only, can’t remember)
  • Forced HUD on bush trip external views (no more pretty screenshots)
  • Camera jump/reset when ending a flight in VR, if logbook pop-up is disabled

I could go on (and make links to all the bug threads)… most of these didn’t exist on release but were introduced. Some have workarounds by editing files - not a good solution - many don’t.

I know that priorities have to be made, and not all will be as simple as they may seem, but some affect most users daily so, in my considered opinion, ought to get a little more attention. MSFS felt quite polished on release, but the overall user experience has actually gone down a little since launch.

4 Likes

I would certainly think so.

1 Like

Can you confirm that you are in the cockpit view, not the external view? And you are on PC?

In any case Asobo acknowledged that this is a bug almost immediately after SU5 IIRC. They just said they don’t care enough to do anything about it (but apparently will gladly charge people money for a fix in the form of MSFS2024).

I don’t think this thread needs to be about proving that the bug exists as that is already confirmed. I think the discussion to be had is around Asobo’s attitude towards fixing bugs and especially how they are introducing new bugs into MSFS2020 and forcing people to pay for MSFS2024 if they want the bug fixes.

I knew about a lot of these but some are new to me. The OAT gauge is pretty funny. Seems like it would have been more work to make a fake scale rather then use an existing correct gauge :laughing:

Other favourites of mine include:

• Landing challenge high scores are completely bugged leaving the leaderboards to be meaningless
  • Landing challenge weather is usually completely wrong (the wind - and sometimes even the runway - shown in the loading screen do not match the landing challenge).
  • Trees are still way too big in most of the world
  • Pretty much all of the missions added in the 40th anniversary edition are completely broken, and haven’t been touched since their first release
  • 747 engines in the landing challenges fail (I think this one is actually getting fixed in the upcoming update though?)

All of these are ridiculous but go completely ignored by Asobo. The fact that they don’t even acknowledge most of them is embarrassing and it is often even worse when they do. In a recent dev stream they addressed the “Camera jump/reset when ending a flight” one but pretty much said “I looked into it but didn’t understand the bug reports so I just marked it as fixed”

4 Likes

Using Middle Mouse (or toggle mode) is not a valid workaround.

With middle mouse freelook, certain text fields that are listening for a mouse over or click event will capture the mouse pointer even while it is invisible in freelook mode.

This soft locks the game as it stops accepting mouse input altogether.

Most notable with the CJ4 FMS, which I have not been able to fly at all since it was downgraded from the original 3rd party mod due to this issue.

It’s also happens in the 787 on the performance tablet, but I think Esc works there to exit the field - it doesn’t on the CJ4.

I believe as it is in freelook mode it possibly doesn’t accept any keyboard input either. I can’t remember the full details on the CJ4 because I haven’t flown it since AAU1 or whenever it was converted. Which conveniently was when I was halfway through a world tour with it.

Could you try searching by input in the control settings?

Select the “search by input” field and click right mouse button and it should show everything that is bound to it.

Do you have any mouse software installed to use your mouse cursor across different PCs or anything like that?

What mouse do you use? Did you install any drivers for it or using Windows generic?

What flight sim hardware also?

Not sure if or how that could affect it but may be possible?