Stop Flagging Comments!

Some of you guys are acting like children here. If you don’t like, or agree with someone, you just flag it.
Let’s all grow up a little bit and hopefully this Sim will grow with us.

22 Likes

Pretty much what I’ve just said on another post. It’s getting riddiculous and petty.

5 Likes

Flagging something that doesn’t go against the Code of Conduct should be an infraction if it’s habitual. But I’ll be the first one to flag something that I believe does go against that code if it seems that the mods haven’t spotted it yet.

8 Likes

“Revenge flagging” is against the Code of Conduct.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/faq#heading–revenge

5 Likes

I got used to it :joy:. Especially when it gets upheld.

Why do I feel tempted to flag the OPs post :joy:

10 Likes

Discourse flagging mechanics are interesting (and honestly really good if well used), I won’t go into it unless someone asks. What I will say is a post is very unlikely to be hidden unless either:

1. One or more flags are received, and the moderator who reviews one or more of those flags chooses the ‘Agree and Hide’, or ‘Agree and Delete’ options

2. A moderator manually hides the post

or;

3. Enough users flag the post causing the flag score to surpass the threshold to hide requirement (iirc high teens, so it is unlikely a topic will be temporarily hidden by this means with less than two flaggers)

For what it’s worth, any flag that is made gets sent to the review queue, so even if a post is hidden by method three, moderators have to uphold/ignore the flags otherwise the topic is restored when they click “Reject”. If a user makes flags that are rejected their flagging score goes down, meaning that a person who abuses the flag score has no effect (or a negative effect) when trying to hide someone’s post.

3 Likes

There are people who get flagged just because of their name. Not what they posted.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

Further to the excellent post on the mechanics of flagging that @Nyx1819 covered above I would add a comment or two.

The standard by which flags are evaluated is the forum Code of Conduct (CoC).
Flagging a post on the basis that there is disagreement with what is said is not in itself a CoC violation and therefore, ordinarily, will not result in the flag being upheld.

For a post to get hidden then the moderator who handled the flag will have made a judgement call that the post in question is a violation of the CoC.

If one of your posts ever gets hidden as a result of a flag and you are unsure as to why it was hidden, then please send a PM to @moderators with a link to the post in question and ask for clarification on why it was hidden.

Often, if there is doubt as to why the post was hidden, the moderator will also have sent a PM explaining to the person the reason for the hiding of the post. In clear cases for a CoC breach a PM may not be sent beyond a system generated message. However there is still the opportunity to ask for further clarification, if required.

There is a responsibility on those who have flagging abilities to use that facility appropriately and abuse of the flagging mechanism does have consequences, as mentioned in the CoC.

9 Likes

Your post is very broad and greatly depends on the situation.

Maybe give more specific situations in which you think flagging is incorrect?

Of course a person being flagged will always think they’re being wronged. Same with the person doing the flagging.

Also, when a post is flagged, and the moderators take down the post, then the flagging was correct all along.

If it doesn’t get taken down, then you don’t get affected.

I see folks get flagged on here all the time.
Sure they may have made an offensive post or something in the past, but then I notice that everyone of the posts that they make afterwards are flagged.
I then click on the link to see what was so bad in that particilar post. Guess what… Nothing is.
It’s simply because people didn’t like his/her original reply to the discussion.
After that, it’s a witch hunt…

Hope that helps clear things up.

3 Likes

It is against the forum’s CoC to discuss moderation on an account, so a moderator would not be able to explain the reason of the post being hidden except to the forum account concerned.

If the post is hidden then the moderator made a judgement call that there was a CoC violation. That is how moderation works here.

3 Likes

I understand that. I just believe it is people mass reporting folks, just because they rubbed them the wrong way in a previous post, or they seem to have a personal issue with them.

As I understand it flagging is basically harmless unless the moderators uphold the flag?

2 Likes

I concur with:

However, in the rare case when the flagging is considered to be ‘revenge flagging’ then that is dealt with according to the Code of Conduct for revenge flagging.

2 Likes

Then I guess this should be the answer OP is looking for.

If you really are not violating any guidelines in the eyes of the moderators, then flagging by others should not bother you

1 Like

The problem is that your CoC is in parts a joke. There is no clear definition of things you should not do. Just take a look at Illegal Activities. There is no clear list of illegal actions. It’s all up to the moderator to decide what is illegal and what is legit. If the mod has a bad day you are screwed, if the mod feels great than you could be fine.

2 Likes

Thank you.
This is the answer I was looking for. :+1:

1 Like

No one is compelled to post on these forums.

Everyone who can post on these forums has, as a condition of being able to post on these forums, agreed to the Code of Conduct. If a forum user does not agree to this then they should not be posting here. That is just how it is and it is not unique to these forums. Every such community has guidelines that participants are expected to follow. I can’t see another viable method for organising a forum such as this.

The Code of Conduct here has been set by Microsoft. The volunteer moderator team are expected to work within that structure as is everyone else.

If there is likely to be doubt as to whether or not a post falls within the guidelines then the chances are that the post doesn’t fall within the guidelines and probably should not be posted in the first place.

5 Likes