Stop World Updates and fix the sim first

There is not more to say. The quality of the WU are horrible. Add-Ons keep breaking. This is not how it should be. Please stop producing Wold Updates and concentrate in creating proper release cycles and start fixing those bugs.

There’s little reason to believe the same people are behind creating new POIs and photogrammetry, versus fixing code bugs. If world updates were to stop, the sim quality wouldn’t increase any faster.

3 Likes

No to delaying World Updates. Prefer Updates and Fixes to continue happening together in parallel, with Fixes bring done more quickly, if possible. Cheers.

3 Likes

Could get 2000 votes and nothing would change :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Stopping WU would NOT fix the bugs any faster! Two totally separate teams doing two totally separate jobs. They have a release cycle planned (SU every two months) and that is it. The vast majority of those “bugs” are actually caused by third party addons. So unless the CTD or problem occurs when the Community folder is empty then it is NOT something that MS/Asobo need to, or should, address. I have found the latest WU6 (with a couple of urgent fixes thrown in as a bonus) have made my Sim very stable and have fixed the ATC altitude issue so I’m a very happy camper today.

2 Likes

I am quite certain, that is not correct! Since the WU6 like all other WUs always broke the SIM in one way or the other. So, for sure, there is development going on. So these resources could be relocated to fix the sims core, and make less marketing worthy updates.

How long did it take to fix the ATC? Way to long. This is a sign of missing resources, messy code or a problem with their CI/CD not being very flexible. All the mentioned could be corrected, by dedicating resources and withdraw the shiny marketing features.

BTW: Did you miss out the new night light bug? This is not happening due to scenery updates :slight_smile:

Jorg and Marciel have both said publicly that the two development teams are different. And this makes sense too. I imagine that reallocating personnel from the WU team to the SU team would be like putting the landscapers to work on building the house. Whilst both teams are contributing to the same project, they have VERY different skillsets.
Of course, the SU team will still be working whilst the WU team is preparing their release. And Jorg said that they would prioritize the ATC fix along with a couple of CTD fixes. So they have added a couple of what they have determined to be priority fixes. One must remember that MS sees priorities VERY differently from you or I.
I have never had a WU update cause issues that prevent me from using the sim BUT I have had various issues after every SU. Usually, these issues can be rectified with a week or so of the SU release.
Re: the Night Light bug, I have only done one flight since the WU6 update and it was a Daytime flight. However, whilst this bug is annoying it does NOT stop you from using the Sim! And I beg to differ, lighting IS more of a scenery issue.

I completely agree with you here that the two development teams are different and have different skillsets and I like the monthly updates, if however SU6 is delayed related to WU6 then the OP seems to have a point.

That’s because WU6 is both a scenery update and a sim core update. It’s just that dedicated sim updates have larger changesets than world updates (which sometimes contains almost no code changes at all).

I did read about it on the forums, but I usually play with render scaling 100 so it doesn’t affect me personally.
Hopefully there will be a hotfix so that render scaling is usable at night again!

Mybe I’m so repetitive on this but… i want fix 2 basic things.
Boats and dock under water & coral reefs like in the promos, with that I’ happy!

1 Like

Agreed!

I don’t beeping care about content any longer, when basic core simulator functionality doesn’t work at all.

What does it matter that we have a nice world and new planes, while basic functionality like looking around doesn’t even work!? Seriously, several months now where issues such as the disappearing mouse cursor when looking around, or joystick input not being detected while looking around have been allowed to stay in the game. Who cares about new content when basic things like that doesn’t even work.

For the love of god, stop the constant stream of content and actually fix. the. simulator.. The things like actually matters for getting a good experience. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. I don’t understand how it’s even possible at this point.

The two teams are different, yeah. But how come the core simulator functionality has to suffer this much? It feels like they’re not even taking it seriously at this point.

2 Likes

Disagree, WUs are improving the world we all fly in. Please do not stop World Uldates while you continue to fix the sim.

1 Like

Don’t worry, nothing we say here is going to affect how Asobo conducts its development practices.

1 Like

i think the point is more on concentrated efforts on fixing the sim not to stop world updates

1 Like

Well, they could redirect resources from World Update/Scenery Partners to fix the HUGE backlog of broken/missing airports. Same exact skill set.

The list is quite long- dealing with the list of “broken” or missing airports should be given a higher priority than World Updates. Users have been dutifully submitting Zendesk reports, opening tickets since day one, just as they’ve been instructed to do. Now Microsoft/Asobo have a substantial database of things that need attention.

The focus would be on fixing the airports we already have. Bringing those up to standards. And, adding the missing airports. Same exact skill set.

Missing Airports Sent to Zendesk

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/kbwi-runway-15r-33l-problem/160582

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/are-missing-airports-and-airpor

Yes, missing.broken airports should be a priority over regional updates!

Not sure what you’re referring to here? I have no problems looking around or disappearing mouse cursor. Can you clarify what you are trying to do?

As others have mentioned content creators and game engine coders are two separate groups. Yes there will be overlapping skill sets, but not enough to warrant swapping resources between groups regularly.

Also additional content. Including future paid DLC is what is going to keep the sim going financially (sans moving to a subscription model).

My hope is with back to back Sim Updates on the schedule and so far no announcement for WU7 that the team will be focused more on base sim stability and bug fixes and less on content.

My hope is in 2022 that we get to a more stable base and sim updates can move to a slower cadence and keep stability to a higher standard.

1 Like

Did you see this post?

Yes I have. It does seem like airports get updated with world updates and as I have said continuous added content will draw in more players to the sim and help keep it financially viable.

It does suck though that if after a world update comes out for a region and an airport is still broken your pretty much stuck until the WU comes back around to that region or a scenery gateway is implemented.