Stutter and Stop at 10FPS introduced with World Update 3 still there with 1.14.6.0

Correct, I still am getting dreadful stutters. I have crashed to desktop almost every flight as well. It’s unacceptable.

1 Like

Here too, but I am not sure what update introduced the stutters, pauses and instability I am experiencing even in remote areas where things used to be smooth and stable.

2 Likes

I was flying RJTT to RJFF I just rage quit on it. I thought I could persevere but a simple 90 minute flight was taking over 2 hours and became so slow and unflyable I lost it. It’s the worst its ever been and my setting were fine until recent updates. Shame because my TCA joystick and throttle showed up yesterday too.

2 Likes

I take it back… stutters are back… just flew in Hawaii and no issues there. Flying in Houston is a slideshow nightmare.

1 Like

I’ve been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my game performance has fallen off a cliff lately. 3700X, 16GB RAM, RTX 3080 - flew into Calgary and my fps was anywhere from 10-20, and completely unplayable (not to mention the stutters). I looked down at my PC case and both my CPU and GPU fans had stopped due to the fact they were cold; GPU usage was non-existant and CPU usage didn’t even have a single core pegged at 100% (max was maybe 60% load). Game’s installed to an NVME drive with plenty of space, and wasn’t being utilized during the flight at all (so no page file usage).

To make matters worse, it looks like this issue isn’t being given the attention it needs… I’m completely at a loss as to what to do other than to contact MS for a full refund (thankfully this is only a relatively new purchase). I feel genuinely sorry for those that are experiencing this and don’t have that option, as the game is completely unplayable as it is. Perhaps Asobo will give affected players a complementary CRJ for their troubles? And perhaps pigs might fly?

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Noodlefu
I appreciate the frustration.

It has been two days since FS had anything to say on the subject.

I think it is safe to say that although some significant geographical bugs have cropped up that can and do grind the sim to a halt in specific locations, it must be remembered that the “general performance drop off” seems to be limited to a relatively small number of users.

Because of the noise in here one might assume that the majority have been affected. In reality, the forum (about 80,000 members) is a small but representative sample of the community. About 0.1% (+/- 800 votes) of those members have indicated, through the voting system, that they are affected by this issue. I know that not everyone remembers to vote when they post in a bug thread and as such that may only represent half of the thread participants actually experiencing issues. It is also possible that only half the members are even aware of the bug section being as we see so many posts about bugs in the discussion pages. So lets double that again. That puts us at 0.4% of our forum friends are talking about this problem.

Don’t take this as saying that it is isolated to a handful, even though that IS what the data shows. The point I am making is that when trying to debug a problem in a complex piece of software, the easily recreated bugs that affect everyone are a breeze when compared to an issue that, seemingly, randomly affects a tiny percentage of the overall and only a miniscule number of those affected are utilizing the reporting tools given us to give detailed reports/descriptions to give the developers a fighting chance to find the problem.

Far too many posts about “broken”, “unflyable”, “piece of ____” MSFS, by users that don’t even know what a ZENDESK is. Not nearly enough posts describing the problem IN DETAIL. That is a bit harsh. I know many have placed their Zendesk Tickets but according to the developers many of those tickets simply say, “I used to get 60fps and now I only get 25fps. The last update broke the sim.”

We all know that a mechanic cannot fix your car over the phone. They need hands on. They need to hear that grinding noise themselves to be able to find the problem. I hate all the car analogies on this forum but this one works. Software developers cannot fix your issue without being able to duplicate it on their system. They can ONLY do that by recreating your computer and setting up the exact same parameters.

I know it is hard when the frustration builds, but without the cold analytical approach of a computer we cannot resolve these problems. I suggest the following…

• shut down and walk away from your computer. DO NOT login to the forum!
  • sit down, with of all things, a pencil and paper.
  • carefully document everything you did leading up to the problem.
  • fire up your computer and run a DXDiag report.
  • log in to Zendesk and submit your report with a copy of the DXDiag report and everyting you listed on the paper.
  • go to the “General Discussion” category and post a blood boiling rant if you still feel the need.

Good luck and smooth flights.

2 Likes

I noticed the following:
Flying over open ocean there is no performance loss whatsoever. As soon as you come close to a landmass or islands the stutter and occasional drop to ca. 10 fps starts to occur. I did not notice a ‘general’ performance loss, just this massive drops, then the fps goes to about 25-30, then my usual framerate.

I9900k
32gb ram
Nvme ssd

I could be wrong of course but this feels like a problem with terrain/object/texture/asset simulation loading. Of course I am not a programmer so I can be completely off.

1 Like

getting massive slow downs w/A320N down to 1-5 FPS when flying out of EHAM towards Paris…about 50mi from Paris. turning off multiplayer/online functionality and AI does not help. I tried lowest settings as well with no effect.

Ryzen 5600X
32gb ram
nvme ssd

1 Like

perfect. so following your way of mathematics when some days ago the xbox store was completely down and only a few posted here in the forum - the store for 99,9% was up my magic. or a second possibility maybe you should consider an update to your math/stats/analytics education.

7 Likes

please show us a screenshot

Straw man.
I didn’t bother to post for the same reason 99% didn’t.
I saw a problem, checked the forum. Saw that MS had posted that the XB servers were down. Went and watched TV.
The idiots that posted for hours without reading any of the posts above them or looking at the official announcement were the only ones recorded in the STATS for that KNOWN event with an OBVIOUS solution that required NO FURTHER action by the user or ASOBO for something out of their hands.

We are not discussing the same thing here at all. An XBox outage is a short lived event that needs no discussion, update or fix.

A bug buried deep within a complex code that has been around for weeks and affected 1000’s of users that for some reason refuse to stand next to the few hundred that have stepped up to proactively ask for help from the developer, providing as much info as possible to help them toward a solution. Instead we have some users that will spend hours debating in the threads. Rants and finger poking are not going to get these issues resolved.

The developer needs MORE information. MY way of mathematics is the math that is exposed by the numbers on this forum. Argue the math all you want. I’ll even throw in another 200% fudge factor, just for you.

0.4% x 200% = .8%

80000 X 0.8% = 6400

6400 - 800 votes (+/-+) = 5600

I cannot believe that nearly 5600 users on this forum that by our NEW math must be experiencing the same problem, are just sitting in front of the computer, wishing they could use their simulator and are not SAYING ANYTHING!

Tom, you want to direct your ire at something? Stop trying to pick apart the math and go get all those other users to send in the Zendesk tickets and drive up the votes. Dump truckloads of data on the developers desks and they will fix the bugs a lot faster and way more effectively.

Or you can just argue that my numbers aren’t representative. Should have lots of time for that seeing how you won’t be flying anytime soon.

1 Like

Please note you’re talking to someone who has shipped a number of games. DXDiag’s only use is to collect hardware information and driver versions, it doesn’t provide much in the way of data they don’t already have (in the fact they have numerous players with all sorts of hardware configurations exhibiting this issue). It is pointless for me to open a ticket for my configuration where a simple search of the forum immediately returns a multitude of similar reports, and statements of ‘I have opened a Zendesk ticket’. Me opening another ticket isn’t going to help matters any further.

In regards to the detail of the issue, I, like many others, did nothing between the game working, and not working, other than update the game. This is very obviously a code or asset-related issue - if your hardware isn’t being used at all, and the game is grinding to a halt, there’s something seriously wrong with the game, and that issue was only introduced in the last update. Any decent technical director or team, would have (or should have) the means to profile exactly what methods or processes are taking a significant amount of time when running the game, and adjust in accordance with the budget. Something changed in the last update has very obviously resulted in something exceeding the budget for a system (or group of systems), and that sort of change doesn’t require mimicking every hardware configuration available - you just need to benchmark a handful of systems, pre and post-update.

I’ve done all I can to profile the issue myself to no avail, including dumping the executable and memory space, which sadly doesn’t provide much in the way of being able to reverse engineer this (if someone from Asobo wants to send me symbols I’ll happily take this further). I appreciate this is a complex game, however, any competent technical team behind the game engine would be able to look through any core changes made during the last patch to identify where the issue lies.

I also wouldn’t go assuming any numbers in regards to this, especially based on forums or votes on a forum - I think you’d be amazed at how silent a community can be in regards to an issue, especially if it isn’t as clean cut as a crash.

Thanks for your response - I appreciate everyone can be out for blood sometimes, but blindly defending the company isn’t the right answer either. Just because a piece of software is complex doesn’t excuse the fact it isn’t working, and the studio has left it in this manner for a number of paying customers.

4 Likes

yes - all idiots - except one.

I’m sorry but I don’t have time for such nonsense. please consider to open a thread on your own ‘what i always wanted to explain to the world’ or ‘my personal theory of relativity in statistics’.

wish you a good day sir

1 Like

Exactly the reason for supplying it. When dealing with bugs that affect on computer and not another, wouldn’t you like to know what the differences are. If I see that everyone running a specific DLL version is having a crash and no-one else, I would consider that valuable information.

My goodness. I have to ask if all that software you have shipped is software you wrote and debugged or were you just at an Amazon mail room. (apologies for questioning your credentials like that)
By updating the software, you have now in fact CHANGED something. These updates are not just adjusting a texture or fixing a bug where your player keeps dropping his gun. This particular update completely changed the underlying process that draws the images on the screen. Huge changes to scenery AI algorithms. The way CLOUDS are drawn. New features are added and new ways of handling the environment are introduced.

It is likely that as this sim grows and matures what was once the recommended system will become unable to run the title at anything like acceptable frame rates. Every incremental addition is going to add more threads and consume more resources. As a software developer yourself, You must understand that fixes don’t change much but wholesale additions and expansions to the game are going to increase the resource load.

The long time, hard core simulation users understand that to maintain a given performance level, either expectations have to be lowered in terms of graphics or feature settings, OR a hardware upgrade is needed to keep up when those reduced setting don’t cut it anymore. Those of us that have played this game before have dumpstered plenty of “Hi-End” computer rigs, chasing the perfect flight. Welcome to the HOBBY.

I still have this issue. Before the UK update, I was able to run on high with no lag. Now it’s a PowerPoint…

2 Likes

You lost me at personal insults ;), adios.

3 Likes

still waiting for a screenshot for

… without a screenshot I simple assume you checked the wrong counters :wink:

simply use my screenshots in the entry post. there you see the gpu/cpu idling.

activate Graphics_1 in taskmanager an repeat…

PS.: if this exist by an AMD card :wink: , which is a completly other thing as an rtx 3080.

I’ll grab one next time it occurs. I’m not using task manager’s default view, as the Nvidia 30 series for w/e reason doesn’t report true core usage (if that’s what you’re referencing). During the issue, usage across the board goes down, GPU usage was as near 0 as you like, I would assume as the card was only having to render 10 FPS. Usage in general is poor, always below 50% for this card (likely due to DX11, and seems to be a single threaded renderer), so it’s not hard to picture.

In fact, here it is when it’s working, again, not hard to imagine this when it hits 10 FPS. I’m more concerned about the fact not a single CPU core was pegged during this, as that’s where the issue lies. The low FPS is more than likely a symptom, not a cause - there’s a bottleneck somewhere, and it’s not CPU or GPU related.

1 Like