Stutters when Rolling Cache file is fully filled and start to get rolled w/ new data

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

I got sudden stutters while cruising. After I refresh (recreate) the rolling cache and fly to the same area, everything’s back normal and smooth again.
After some observation, it seems when the rolling cache file is fully filled and the sim starts to have the data rolling (delete old and save new), this stutter and FPS drops issues are starting to appear.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Just fly to new places for a while until you feel the stutters, which I assume it happens when rolling cache si is starting to get rolled with the new data.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

I will vote for the topic , because I have the same guess about the rolling-cache, but additional a relation to the size of it.

I assume if the rolling-cache-file becomes to big , the effort to manage it ( cpu as also ssd bandwith ) is to high and stutters can occurs, may be if it “roll” ( how ever that is implemented ).

How “expensive” the rolling-cache is, we can see how long it takes to create a big one.

I currently fly with rolling-cache “off” or only a little portion of a 2Gig file. With that settings it feels there are less of the little stutters some time. ( PS: not exact measured :wink: )

PS: we have some older discussions somewhere, but I assume its good to have a dedicated topic

4 Likes

Sounds like your stuttering is due to scenery loading. The rolling cache helps to avoid downloading data all the time, especially important if you’ve a slow internet connection. I’d guess 2GB is a bit low, MS recommend 8GB but it all depends on how much storage you can afford of course - the sim is a real storage hog and trying to operate on the minimums is sure to cause problems.

If you have many addons in your Community Folder try reducing them - a manager such as MSFS Add-ons Linker may be useful.

I suggest you try and increase the rolling cache to at least 8GB, you can use any available drive although an SSD is preferable. Might also check your internet connection/speed.

If that doesn’t help then we’re back to the usual suspects. Maybe try reducing your graphics settings, the higher they are the harder the CPU and GPU have to work which will aso cause stuttering. You have, of course, made sure all your drivers are up to date as well as Windows and MS Store.

Sorry if you’ve already tried any of this.

So are you (also, implicitly) saying that you don’t have these stutters when the rolling cache is disabled?

As of recently I get (intermittent) stutters all the time, both with and without the rolling cache being active.

I run a fairly middle-of-the-road system but do have a lot of spare storage capacity - 64GB RAM, 2TB NVMe drive for my addons, dedicated 1TB SSD for the sim itself. I also use MSFS Addons Linker to keep the contents of the Community Folder to a minimum. Rolling Cache is set to 16GB ('cos I can) but in reality as I tend not to revisit places it’s use is somewhat academical. Internet speed is relatively slow - 25mbps - but it is solid. An idea occurs there - what game server are you using? Maybe change to another, see if you get better performance.
I get a solid 60fps with an expected drop using more sophisticated aircraft in a dense environment, but hardly ever below 30fps. I have freesync turned on but also limit my monitor to 60fps using the NVIDIA settings, which seemed to help enormously. Happily I get no stuttering at all with my setup.

Hi there, I’m interested to see this topic come up because I have also randomly just had some stutters in the last few days. I have a good spec (details below), and I’ve never had this issue before. I’m not sure why it’s come up now. I have turned down graphics, updated as many drivers as I can find, and taken out some stuff (not everything) from the community folder. I was still getting stutters, but I just tried turning off the rolling cache and it seemed to work. Worth a try if anyone else has this issue,

Intel Core i7 10700k 8 Core Socket 1200 (3.87 GHz, 12MB Cache)
MSI GeForce Gaming Trio X RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X Graphics Card (Pre Order)
1TB NVMe PCIE Solid-State Drive
32GB Standard DDR4 3000MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit (2 x 16GB)
Kolink Enclave 700 Watt Modular Gold Rated Power Supply
MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R CPU Cooler

1 Like

Never ceases to amaze me how two players with identical setups (or near enough) can have totally different experiences!
Must be an absolute nightmare for the devs!

1 Like

They created it in the first place I think?! :thinking:

Im in the same situation. It began last few days and i have a high end setup (13th gen Intel, 3090, 2 TB Nvme, 64 GB RAM…) When it happens the CPU is running at 5% and Graphics at 25%… So this is not the gear. The fact is in the last few days, Microsoft has updated a lot the Operating system …

“The fact is in the last few days, Microsoft has updated a lot the Operating system …”

Is that right? I’ve seen no evidence of it, no updates or announcements fro MS/Asobo. My system works very well at the moment.

I have had a very similar experience.
Rolling cache had been turned off automatically due to connection problems, unbeknownst to me.
This caused major stuttering when looking around in VR.
Turned it back on with a size of 40GB. “Let’s make it large, I have the space”, were my thoughts.
All good for about two weeks or so. Then stuttering as soon as I had taken off. This made flying really unpleasant, and I was thinking the servers were overloaded.
Then yesterday, I cleared my cache and the problems were gone.
But it was not because of the clearing, the rolling cache is also turned off when you clear it, which I did not notice at first.
So all in all, I do think there is a performance problem with the rolling cache.
I find it plausible that there can be issues having to release and re-allocate space. This takes a bit of work and causes some waits. Depending on the context and thread this is executed in, this could definitely impact your game-play.
With rolling cache off, I can again enjoy the sim. Only wish I had figured this out sooner.

The issues when looking around in VR have not re-surface either.

1 Like

My repeated experience with this is that if I enable a rolling cache (on either of my SSDs), after a dozen or so flights I’ll get a very extreme, rubber-bandy kind of stuttering that makes the sim unplayable. Pressing esc and either disabling the rolling cache or deleting and building a new one always immediately fixes the stutters when this occurs. This has been a thing at least since the last sim update.

5 Likes

I had come to find out delete and rebuild of the Rolling Cache on my Xbox was stacking and filling up my “Reserved Space” under the Flight Simulator installation.

It was sitting at 300+gigs at one point.

I think the problem was, if you set Rolling Cache over the recommended 16gb (I had it at 72gb at one point), something freaks out and it starts to stack.

Cleared that all out, did a fresh install and I now keep my Rolling Cache at 16gb. Hasn’t had a problem since.

I use rolling cache also and when i experience stutter during flight in a first new visited area
I expand my rolling cache file with +2 or +5 gb and fly on. Have one file for DX 11 and one for DX12
When i changed a lot of settings or it gets to big i delete and just start with a new file.
For me this works satisfying.

Is it really stacking like this on Xbox? I use a 64gb rolling cache and reset the cache every couple weeks… Now Im afraid to look at my reserved space… What stinks is if we clear our reserved space, it deletes all add ons too…

Yeah. It’s the strangest thing, though.

After resetting the Reserved Space, it sat at a nice 140gb and some change.

After installation of a couple new add-ons and clearing Rolling Cache each time, it stayed the same.

I experimented and put it up to 32gb some weeks after, it went up to 146.8gb. However, i didnt want to risk it, so i put it back down to 16gb…but it stayed at 146.

After AAU1, Reserved Space went up to 158.9gb…still, though, no increase after a couple more add-ons and Cache Clears.

Now for the really weird part:

I have the Seafront Simulations Core Library + Global Shipping.

This past Marketplace update saw the release of some additions to the Core Library Pack, which came in at just over 8gb.

Yet, my Reserved Space actually decreased from 158gb to 149gb.

Rolling Cache and Reserved Space are the most…odd things.

Thats the problem there isnt much clairty on where or what is happening to files and data on the Xbox… I know deleting rolling cache doesnt free up said amount from reserved space- it takes that space forever.

I must have misunderstood I thought you meant if I deleted and rebuilt the cache to 64gb twice, it would show 128gb added in reserved space.

That’s what I thought, too. But I think it still may under certain circumstances. I honestly flabbergasted.

Here I thought I had it all firgured out, that I did a write-up on what I thought was happening.

I could very well be wrong, but my thinking is:

The max amount of RAM (or memory) on the Xbox Series X is 16gb. The Sim, I believe, uses that Memory for the Rolling Cache, and if you go over that 16gb…problems arise.

You can go over that “limit”, but then the Sim partitions the Reserved Space…or maybe it doesn’t, as we’ve been discussing.

I don’t know how true it is in regards to Xbox, but with PC at least, one can use SSD space as RAM? But that’s at an OS level.

I just hope, down the line, there can some changes for the Xbox memory issues.

EDIT: Now I’m sitting at 136gb in my Reserved Space! :laughing: I can’t complain too much, as it’s gone down even less, but now it makes me wonder if there’s little tiny Civilization living inside my console cleaning things up with little brooms and dustpans!

1 Like

Never heard of this 16gb recommendation, where’s it from?

2 Likes

I have the same experience with rolling cache.