SU15: my (bad )experience: the fight against the stutters

Hello everyone!
Just to share my experience wiht SU15.
For me has been a long awaited update because i had the hope that it could be resolve, or at least improve, the stutter of the sim after the update 14.
My rig is not bad:
I9 11900 K @5.1ghz
32gb RAM DDR5
RTX3060 12 gb Vram
1Tb nvme ssd
Well, i am a simmer since 1985 and i really love the sim and has become my main and beloved hobby.
So Msfs2020 has been a milestone for me: excellent graphics, good flight models ecc…
But, unfortunatly, some updates went wrong.
For instance, before SU5 my flights were smooth and very enjoyable.
After that, there was a successions of ups and downs until now, and, after the version 1.37.19: things have gotten substantially worse.
As soon as the SU15 1.37.18 has been released (in wich i had great hopes of seeing improvments) i tried a short flight and everything was almost perfect! Very smooth on the ground, take off, approach and taxi-in, even with in-sim traffic. It was a moment of true happiness !
After few days i prepared my preferred route: EDDM (Simwings)-LPMA (Orbx).
As you surely know, the sim automatically perform a very small update to ver. 1.37.19.
Disaster!
The FPS, in my test location, went from 67 to 45. With in sim traffic to 45 to 33.
I was very upset…i trying to begin the flight and stutters appears in all phases of flight, especially during approach and landing.
So, i tried to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and Msfs2020.
Nothing. So i tried to follow some troubleshooting and tirck, like change the version of Nvidia Drivers, delete cache , empty the Community folder ecc.)
I tried to use only default airports, default aicrafts…
The results remain the same: important FPS loss but overall a notable and important increase of stutters, as i said, overall in approach and landing.
Everything get worse if you use AI Traffic, no matter what kind (in-sim, FSLTL, AIG ecc.).
There is not a conclusion: these are simply the facts.
A very little update, 1.37.19, has ruined, at least for me, a very good update, 1.37.18.
At this point i really would like to know what exactly this verison has changed inside the sim:.
Apart of the money spent, it reamins the biggest disappointment sinice i started to use MSFS, even knowing that ther will be no futher updates, and no hope of improvments, until the release of MSFS2024.
Only a dream remain: that some miracle will make me return to 1.37.18.
Thank you for your attention and forgive the emotional outburst!
p.s also forgive my horrible english language, it is not my native one…

9 Likes

Very similar experience here. 1.37.18 was the best the sim has ever been for me. I lost a few FPS, but the smoothness was truly impressive. Like you, I was ecstatic.

1.37.19 was a huge step backwards, in my opinion.

6 Likes

There are things you could check in my own humble opinion

1. Some Microsoft servers have been slow or disconnecting recently, slow connection may cause stutters regardless of how fast your system is.
  2. Check your community folders for incompatible contents
  3. Always make sure microsoft store, Xbox app and the gaming services are upto date along with your installation of the OS.
  4. Make sure your display drivers are upto date and if you have some loose change lying about, perhaps a graphics card update to an RTX 4080 or 4090 may help.
1 Like

Good suggestions, overall.
But I’ve been on 536.67 for some time. I won’t give it up until they force me.

1 Like

For the first time in 4 years I’ve rolled back a driver

555.99 to 555.85

Not that I think it’s made much difference

1 Like

i am also very upset about the last version,my sim was never as bad as this,after SU15 ,happy to go back…

Hello
Let’s try some things.

1-We go to this route and delete its content (Don’t worry, it is regenerated on the next load)

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes

2-We go to this route and delete its content (Don’t worry, it will be regenerated on the next load)

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\FlightSimulator

3-Now take the contents of the packages folder to a safe place in case it is not the culprit, bring it here one by one in search of the culprit. (Keep the folder empty to check)

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages

4-The community folder is always better to be empty to check the previous steps.

1 Like

I tried all this things, except change the graphic card.
A 4090 is too expansive for me and, i think, completely unuseful.
I use msfs2020 in HDot in 4K.
But thank you for your suggestions!

Thank you very much for your suggestions!
I will try but, as i said, i made a completely, fresh install of Windows and Msfs2020 AFTER the SU15 1.37.19 so i think that every files or cache is “fresh”, so to say…

Excuse me.
I didn’t realize that the installation was completely clean.
We can see with the Simulator started in task manager how everything works…?
CPU
RAM
GPU
Also see the processes that may cause this stuttering.
Have you excluded the FlightSimulator.exe process from your antivirus?
And the folders related to Microsoft Flight Simulator.
In my case with Windows Defender I was able to remove my CPU spikes and possible causes of stutters.

Thanks again, Toni.
What do you mean with “the folders related to Microsoft Flight Simulator” ?
In truth i have some suspect about the activity of Windows Defender, so you give me the reason to investigate…

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

C:\XboxGames

These excluded folders

FlightSimulator.exe

Exclude this process

1 Like

likewise, 555.99 introduced stutters and was defintely a step back for me as well.
fwiw i’m using “nvidia super resolution” for anti aliasing along with DLDSR (1.78x).

…iirc 555.99 was released round about the same time frame as SU15 so OP might wanna double check what’s really causing the stutters.

…as we all experienced last week MSFS server performance can negatively affect framerates…makes it very tricky to pinpoint exact causes of performance issues. one day its one thing, next day its another.

3 Likes

I keep seeing this suggested, so I’ve looked at this directory on both my PCs and it is empty.

Why would that be?

You have installed it on a different disk than C:
It may have something like…

Example of folder structure on disk D:
makefile
Copy code
D:\MSFS2020
├── Community
├── Official
│ ├── OneStore
│ └── Steam (if you use the Steam version)
├── WGS
│ ├──
├── Cache
│ ├── SceneryCache
│ ├── RollingCache.ccc
└── OtherConfigFiles

I don’t.

On one PC:
I have the sim installed on C:

I have a directory on D: for the Community folder and OneStore content only.

On the other PC:
Everything is on C:, but I have a separate directory for Community folder and OneStore content.

Again, in both cases the scenery cache folder is empty.

I heard the same thing on a few YT videos. Somewhere else on this forum is a link to a newer version and that’s been working very well for me. Sorry I’m on the road now so i can’t search for the link but it’s out there.

I can confirn the FPS loss and the stuttering (indeed they are freezes, not minor stuttering). I have seen freezes lasting up to 15s in the worst case with SU15.

I can share my experience with these topics just based on what we have seen during the past 4 years (it´s not the first time we see both things happening after SUs):

• Don´t waste time reinstalling game nor Windows. You will just have a clean install but with still the same problem. This is basically a waste of time in most cases unless a game update or a Windows update happens in between the old and the new installations.

• Windows 11 still manages E-Cores and P-Cores on Intel chips. If that feature is faulty in Windows anything else will be faulty as well, including games. I could find after a test some months ago that wrong CPU policy existing at that time in Windows resulted in periodic freezes in MSFS. Forcing P-Cores on purpose solved the issue.

• Game (as any other application) can still hardcode a power saving policy different to Windows default one. So even if Windows feature works well this can still result in different usage of P+E Cores. You should still have the chance to force a different policy artificially anyway

• Server connectivity results in game freezes/stuttering. That was clearly confirmed by Asobo after latest server outage some days ago but we already knew it as we have seen the same behaviour everytime a server outage happened.

• Game thread is overloaded. It´s as simple as that. That can only go worse (increasing overload). Everytime overloading was increased we saw a noticeable FPS loss. That happens only after each SU, not suddenly or between SUs. The cause-effect is quite clear. Game implementation changed once more after SU15.

• Memory management produces significant freezes and stuttering. Each time big data dump happens game suffers and it´s clearly visible as it can freeze completely. As consoles have a limited amount of memory the data dumps are now more frequent as new workload not existing before was added (e.g: advanced avionics). To make room for avionics scenery management was changed (scenery has now less detail and requires more frequent I/O usage instead of holding data on memory for longer periods of time). It´s as simple as that as well.

• In most cases drivers don´t have any impact at all. Basically because in very few cases they contain fixes specially targeted for this game and because what this game needs is exactly the same it needed 4 years ago. Nothing really significant changed in the GPU management, other than adding DLSS and changing how much VRAM game will use after each SU. However drivers can still have some impact. I have seen how G-sync fails to work well with some drivers due to fullscreen detection on Nvidia case for instance but that´s still the result of this game not using true full screen not a problem of how G-sync feature works.

• In most cases addons don´t have any impact at all on performance. If addon is very resource intensive (too detailed) it will be heavy for any game version, so performance will be always almost identical. However addons using WASM (scripts) or using SimConnect can have a clear negative impact after a SU if they are not updated in accordance. To mitigate that SDK documentation shoud be updated properly (which doesn´t happen during beta for instance) and Marketplace addons should be updated in accordance as well. We know this is not the case and quite frequently what you get after a SU is the addon version that was updated for any of the previous SUs, not for the current live game version.

Don´t expect that FS2024 solves all those issues. It may hopefully mitigate some of the problems but I have no big expectations on it, to be honest. MSFS main issues always flew around consoles HW limitations and how they were therefore inherited by PCs.

Asobo tried 100 times to solve that and we know the trade to live with the limitation always goes in one direction because it´s the only one that keeps the equilibrium at the edge of the limit: reduce graphical load to leave room for new workload using some of the precious frame time to do that extra computing, so resulting in less effective FPS for players. The consoles HW limitation will be still there for many years and FS2024 will still need to work on those consoles too.

Cheers

6 Likes

I’ve been criticized numerous times for suggesting that (and probably will be again.)
It appears that SU15 may be the proof some people need in order to accept this fact, which, as you point out, and I believe, have been part of the equation from the beginning.

2 Likes

At MSFS2020 release even the X-box S was of higher spec than the majority of then gaming PCs. The real issue was the sim would only crawl with Microsoft’s advertised low end 1080p recommendations for PC, believe me that sub 15fps on low settings is no fun at all.