SU5 graphics quality

This is/was likely the issue with some people not receiving bing map-data. I had also yesterday for some time, got better later in the evening.

1 Like

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, cheers!

It really isnt. Most pcs these days for gamers have what xbox x as a base spec. Not to mention they also made this game work on xbox S which is even less powerful.

The game released on pc and was superb. Its been downgraded and buggier ever since to the point now on pc ram is limited so even though i have 32gb ram it only uses 12gb and you end up with pop in and out as it swaps stuff in and out of memory. That is quite ridiculous.

2 Likes

You have to search on youtube; it was right at the beginning, and if before the launch, someone in the audience asked an MS guy and not Asobo.
Look, I know they are in the business to make money just like ā€œDovetailā€ did; if you know what I mean, acknowledge the people that supported the platform for 20 years; this idea of use maps is not new, some guy a few years ago used FSX steam over Google maps that looked as good if not better. So, let hope that MS keeps PC and Xbox separate.

Thatā€™s great - it might be difficult to find if it was right at the back of YouTube.:man_facepalming::roll_eyes:

I you reference a video to make a point, you should be prepared to post a link to it.

1 Like

I think the point is that this is one small example of a decrease in fidelity that may seem like a minor thing, but in VR the result is that the overall image is more fuzzy and lacking in definition compared to before. And it isnā€™t just the view out of the cockpit that was impacted, the instruments themselves are blurrier and less readable.

For me, to get near the clarity I had before, I have to increase render scale to a point where performance suffers, and any new gains are lost. So the net result for me has been lower video quality, lower frame rate and increased stuttering.

4 Likes

Thank you.

Did you actually followed the link Iā€™ve posted a few posts above yours prior?

1 Like

From my experience, these artifacts are always visible but I find more so, and they are further amplified, if your in-game render res. is less than 85.

I donā€™t remember which VR headset youā€™re using, but yesterday Iā€™ve found something which might be related:

1 Like

Yes, I did, thank you. I would class this as a bug though, certainly not a deliberate downgrade?

Iā€™ll let Asobo classify this, but you were telling that no-one is showing any degradation example in a way which youā€™d find ā€œscientific enoughā€ to be credible, and to me it was credible enough an example worth noting.

I wonā€™t ask anyone to believe me either, but I can say there are a lot of differences you might call degradations to the rendering engine from SU4 to SU5. They certainly didnā€™t mean to degrade it in any way, and Iā€™ve commented about this already:

And of course, you canā€™t ignore the possibility all these changes are also introducing new bugs which are effectively ā€œdegradingā€ the visuals from what they intended to deliver.

4 Likes

Thanks Cpt, Iā€™m using an Index though.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand this continuous effort to try to negate what happened. Even Asobo stated there was a downgrade in between SU4 and SU5 and they had to release a Hotfix that fixed only some of the issuesā€¦some others they said will be fixed with the World Update

2 Likes

The problem is nobody can simply boot up Sim Update 4 and do a scientific A/B. By the time it was apparent that there were problems with SU5, it was too late. I am a VR flyer so have basically no screenshots saved (I donā€™t think it is possible to take a good screenshot in VR?).

Maybe your best bet would be YouTubers who surely have massive amounts of footage saved. But whether they wish to go through their old footage archives and then replicate the identical flight, with identical conditions and comparable settings, just to satisfy a stranger on the internet who is claiming that everybody else is wrong is probably another question!

3 Likes

@IlGrandePuffone
If what I wrote led you to believe I was trying to negate anything, then Iā€™m sorry for failing to express myself correctly. Iā€™m just documenting my technical understanding of the changes between SU4 to SU5 and possible reasons some might qualify the changes as ā€œdegradationsā€. Iā€™m not negating anything at all though, on the contrary.

1 Like

Were 12 witnesses on site who could confirm that identical settings were selected in the FS?
Was it the same computer?
Was the internet connection stable?
Did other programs run in the background?
Was the ram full?
Was the same CPU used or did have one Core vacation?
Did the postman have tea instead of coffee for breakfast.

In an emergency, everything can be downplayed.
When it is said, identical, then one means identical.

2 Likes

But the people that are insisting there is no downgrade are the same that were saying exactly the same soon after SU5 when eventually Asobo was forced to issue a Hotfix?

3 Likes

I agree. Your posts are always informative and well sourced/referenced. However, though worthy of note, I think it would be a stretch to class this as a deliberate downgrade or sim ruining.

1 Like

In the long run, it only ruins the eyes of VR users. No problem for the sim.