SU5 graphics quality

And i pointed to my co, thought i see something shimmering down there, and he looked and replied to me it was someone with a mirror.
As we flew on we reported to control the location the shimmer.
Later we got message that there where 5 hostages saved who where held at there huidig.

The reason for such complaints are probably people who bought this game because of the advertised incredibly photorealistic graphics, which were delivered at the beginning, but nowadays can’t keep up at that level anymore.
Such findings are, after all, only proof that their concerns are based on a kernel of truth. In my opinion, these are just perfectly legitimate objections from a group of disappointed people.

And in the end it only serves to improve the gaming experience for some again, but not to worsen it for anyone.

I would rather feel sorry for those who constantly try to protect a manufacturer and reject any approach of improvement suggestions and criticism while not gaining anything from it.

2 Likes

It’s the real simulated McCoy. I’ve never been to Watrous, Saskatchewan but I hear it’s lovely this time of year :grin:. Here’s a couple more from different angles. Been taking a lot of “artsy” shots of places for a side project. Also, the radio masts come from the amazing We Love VFR free add-on.

Unfortunately my vision is not too good and need corrective lenses. (Think of the Mr. Magoo cartoon character.) Honestly, for me when it comes to looking at before and after photos I often find it difficult to quickly spot differences. I think that the differences would be much more noticeable while looking at a video stream.

This is a big deal and needs to be fixed!

Wait, so you took screenshots of those objects before
for what reason? :joy:

2 Likes

FWIW, nobody complained more or more loudly about SU5 than me. I’ve been on both sides of the “it works great for me” and “it’s god-awful” divide. I will now forevermore have empathy for those facing performance problems or visual deg issues. I was away (staying near TNCM watching planes, ironically) when WU5 came out so I first tried it this week. It seemed better to me, but not amazingly so. Then I did a few things - changed some NCP settings, and also set up Freesync on my monitor even though I have a 1080 - and it was like when Clarke Griswold plugged the house lights in again in Christmas Vacation: the sim is now just beyond gorgeous, again (“Dad, dad, you taught me everything I know about exterior illumination”).

I don’t know which of the things I did gave me this result. In retrospect, I was too hard on Asobo (not that they’re crying into their beers over what I say on here). They have earned my patience and trust. And I’m very happy with the sim now, but I will never discount the miserable time someone else might be having. I’ve been there, and it’s not a good place to be.

https://images.app.goo.gl/BAX4fHB9aPWqUY879

I don’t know about that. My clouds look good after WU6

3 Likes

Likewise

1 Like

Even encountered light turbulence most of the trip.
Would have grabbed a video of the approach into CYDQ, but got busy. 40 knot winds and rain squalls, well after dark. Was just as expected as compared to real life flight. (I make this trip at least monthly in a Baron. The sim isn’t far off.)

3 Likes

Some said it’s really depending on the time of day, clouds form etc
I did a flight yesterday, clouds were nice and suddenly, they turned into some ultra pixelated garbage. (kind of the same as when there’s a lightning strike).
I have no idea why this is happening.
They also look more flat and transparent than before and with some not so nice purple/pink banding (this one can be seen in your screenshots).

Long story short, they looked better before. Might be a simple bug that causes this since Asobo (or was it Jörg?) said that they haven’t changed the clouds a bit.

4 Likes

But did they? Sept 22, 2020

Sept 18, 2020

Nov 26, 2020

Yesterday

1 Like

Sometimes I get amazing graphics including clouds, but most of the time, it looks like this

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/clouds-pixelated/433238/102?u=benjaminus86

4 Likes

Screenshot from just now, I am sorry but these clouds are just not ULTRA. They were way way better than this, it looks like LOW setting at best. It really lets down the rest of the sim, ruining immersion.

6 Likes

yep, broken record. just not the same. I wonder if they are contemplating fixing it?

1 Like

In my observations the sim remains capable of excellent clouds, but the live weather can sometimes generate bad results. I am not sure if the bad results are more frequent than previously, and if so whether that results from a code change or simply incoming weather data change due to real world seasons!

I tend to start with live weather and then if not impressed switch to a preset - some of the default ones are good and there are some free add ons that provide more preset variety such as below:

2 Likes

Depth of field and lens distortion makes it pretty hard to tell the quality of anything in this screenshot other than the aircraft, the only object in focus.

We had mixed sun and cloud yesterday wit periods of heavy rain and fog and low cloud. Your photo looks much like the view out my living room window most of the day.

I am curious, what, exactly, is wrong with these clouds?

1 Like

Exactly!!!

For all of you so happy with the sim now let me pose a question that I am sure many will lie with their answers

You buy a car. Gas is free forever. Inside you have the most amazing insane BOSE sound system with 8 speakers and a sub-woofer. When you listen to a song it’s as if you are right there at the concert with full surround sound and the most insane clear fidelity you have ever heard. Picture this???

Ok
now, the company comes one day and says because they came out with a new model car that can’t handle that type of sound system they are taking yours out and replacing it with a 4 speaker Casio AM/FM/Cassette deck system. But, you will get another 10 miles (kilometers) to the gallon/litre.

Are you happy about that? Some will be happy because they don’t care much about the sound. They still get to listen to their music and don’t have to fill up as much. Even though gas is free.

Others are furious because the sound system is why they got the car.

So who are you, that are happy, to say those people should just suck it up and get over it? Who are you that don’t NOTICE the big difference in sound to say that those of us with more discerning taste are wrong and that the sound is just as good as it was
even better since you drive farther before filling up???

THAT is the crux of this entire thing. And I totally agree with the other poster that stated if Asobo would simply do their panel discussion and cut the ■■■■ and TELL US THE TRUTH many of us would get over it
 We know what they did. We just want them to come out and admit it. Tell us they will give us BACK what they took in a future release. That’s what we want to hear!!!

Give US the option to cut our frame rates back to 30-40fps if we wish to have our graphics back how they were. I want my ULTRA to be the ULTRA I had since SU1. I’d do that in a second. Because to ME, personally, 30-40 is just fine when I am flying. I don’t need 50-60 because 99% of the time I am NOT flying into NYC, LAX, etc

Greg

8 Likes

If you don’t see it then GREAT!!! you have amazing graphics and should be happy. I see the issues. The clouds simply look ‘lazy’. The fidelity and clarity that we had before is simply gone. Apparently some people just don’t see this. Others of us do. If you or anyone thinks the cloud shots I posted are great or even ok then really you have eyesight I wish I had. Because I see them as garbage compared to the clouds I was looking at and flying in pre SU5.

That’s just the way it is. I am happy as can be that some of you don’t notice it. I wish I didn’t notice it either. But I do
and thus, I want what I had back. Period.

Greg

8 Likes

Hmm i guess that answers why my game looks awful now.

I reinstalled the game after a short break to see if any improvements had taken place:

The clouds look very boring now all the time, and the graphics on the ground look terrible, the pop-in is horrendous and mountains look like melted wax - i thought to myself “Wow did it always look like this
” and went back to watch some of my old shadow play videos - that’s when i realised just how downgraded everything has been.

Its so bad i’m constantly checking that my data settings are on.

Performance has improved though, i think the reason for that is obvious

6 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t mind as my car with the super duper bose was not running smooth anyways when I turned the bose on. So now the company gave us (for the argument’s sake) slightly downgraded version and I can turn it on AND have a smooth ride.

1 Like