SU5 graphics quality

Dude that is just stunning. What an airplane!!!

Be still my heartā€¦

Thereā€™s your answer.

@anon17491698 @KevyKevTPA
Gets the golf clubs where they need to goā€¦

@willisxdc With all due respect, what does any of this have to do with the topic at hand?

1 Like

Sorry, started hereā€¦

You askedā€¦

1 Like

Let me clear, I donā€™t work for Asobo. I donā€™t speak for Asobo. In fact the videos they post publicly is the closest Iā€™ve ever even come to speaking TO someone at Asobo.

Having said that, if I did work for them, and you asked me that question, this would be my answer:

Begin fake quote:
ā€œAre you ******* kidding me?? We come up with a way to basically double most peopleā€™s frame rates, enabling them to fly into and out of airports and areas that previously were no-fly zones due to performance issues, and youā€™re going to complain about a zoomed in view of the gas pump that nobody gives a second thought to, then maybe you should shift your priorities and be a bit more grateful.ā€

Being a bit more serious, perhaps, that is something that I simply never would have (nor have I until seein your pics) noticed, and if somehow I did (or maybe, now that I did is a better way to put it), if thats what it costs to be able to fly my happy butt into LAX, DFW, JFK, MIA, and gawd help me, LFPG then itā€™s a price Iā€™ll gladly pay. How much searching around did it even take to find that in the first place??

@Corvinus70 Is that really a sim screeny, or did you sneak in a real world picture to mess with our minds? Because even after staring at that thing for awhile, Iā€™m not 100% convinced itā€™s a pic from the sim. But the fact that I even have to ask that question with a straight face is a testament to what Asobo and MS have been able to accomplish with this sim.

3 Likes

FWIW I took these photos and compared them to show the exact changes before and after pixel by pixel. In these difference photos, black means there is no change before and after. Non-black pixels are the changes in the after photo compared to the before photo.

texture_detail_b_before-after-Edit

Canā€™t confirmā€¦ Take the image, enlarge 171% then cut out the truck on the leftā€¦ it has no front wheels and very small wheels (?) on the back. I donā€™t think RL trucks look like this :smile_cat: nor would that tree be expected on the roadā€¦

1 Like

@PacificSet90456 Donā€™t know what is being shown here. The lower resolution textures are obvious enough.

This is just one more example of the UP5 downgrade. I noticed it immediately after starting at a fuel pump. After almost a year of using the sim one can quickly tell when something is different.

People ask for before/after shots yet when we provide them we get told itā€™s no big deal and that we should simply shut up and be grateful.

Running at Ultra frame rate was never an issue for me before (except that one time at 76T). They promised us explicitly that they would only optimize the code, not touch the graphics.

4 Likes

Well, if thatā€™s really the extent you guys have to go to prove that there was one, I guess you have won. Yes, there has been a terrible downgrade. Absolutely horrible. I can clearly see those objects from the cockpit when I am setting up the plane for a takeoff and just have to stop what I am doing. I just cannot enjoy the game anymore. It is destroyed. Why, oh why did Asobo do this? Sure, the sim runs smoother than ever with higher FPS than ever. Thatā€™s secondary. That glaring graphical degradation has sealed it. This game is unplayble and the product we bought is not worth the money we paid for it anymore.

4 Likes

Why be so condescending and not just accept that other people have a different view or priorities? Do you think your little sarcastic speech will convince them or even contribute anything? Let alone the atmosphere it provokes? The atmosphere you are apparently annoyed about. My tip. Donā€™t read what you donā€™t likeā€¦ better for your nerves better for everyone. Maybe reconsider if you needed to have posted this.

4 Likes

Wow, I canā€™t believe this discussion is still going on several hundred posts laterā€¦

@KevyKevTPA ,

I know this is a fake quote, and you are injecting some sarcasm or hyperbole here. But I think it perfectly illustrates what several people here really think, and I honestly donā€™t get it. If the sim still looks fine for you then excellent. Iā€™m happy for you. But whatā€™s the point of arguing that it is a non-issue for everyone, when it clearly is an issue for some people?

The problem isnā€™t with a zoomed in view of a gas pump. The problem is multiply the zoomed in view of the gas pump by everything rendered on the screen, and it makes a difference to those who are bothered by this.

To be perfectly clear, I cannot and do not speak for folks who fly 2D on a monitor. Maybe the problem isnā€™t noticeable, or is easy to live with there. I really donā€™t know. I fly exclusively in VR, and the degraded image fidelity is really noticeable for me. It is like Iā€™m now flying without my glasses on, or with vaseline smeared on them. Yeah, I suppose it is great to be able to land at LAX without it being a slide show now. But before, I could at least avoid the slide show by landing in Van Nuys or something. Thereā€™s not a thing I can do now to avoid the blurriness.

With that said, I am cautiously hopeful that this will be a moot discussion sooner than later anyway. It seems that Asobo is acknowledging this as a problem for some, at least in VR. Jayne asked for my system info in a different thread, so they can try to reproduce and fix it.

8 Likes

Not enough. And I asked Asobo, not a random guy on the forum but thanks anyway.
@KevyKevTPA Go get some sleep, you obviously didnā€™t understand the screenshots (that I didnā€™t post by the way).
Itā€™s just another proof of the downgrade. Thatā€™s all.
No one cares about a pump in a flight simulator and I clearly said it.

I feel sorry for people whose priorities with this sim lie so deep entrenched in this graphical degradation that they seem to spend most of their time thinking about it and hunting for examples of it. That particular example comes across as something that I would describe with a word that has 4 letter, starts with an a and ends with an l.

2 Likes

With all due respect, from your previous posts I donā€™t think you do feel sorry for those people. I think you just want to antagonize. I donā€™t get the attitude that says, ā€œIt works great for me, so screw everyone else.ā€

5 Likes

I am just tired of all the BS.

3 Likes

Can we please dispense with the string of personal attacks? Getting a bit off topic with some fun is one thing. This thoughā€¦ Not cool.

1 Like

Then donā€™t go visit a support forum where people want help, vent their frustration etc. Take a break or focus on where you can really help people with your experience. I really mean it in a good way. Itā€™s not making you happy seemingly and it creates further argumentation. But I want to ā€œpractice what I preachā€ and not tell you what to do or not. Just a thought. ā€¦

1 Like

Whatever the reasons, Asobo code changes or NVidia drivers or even Windows updates, there is a very visible bug if not for all, at least for some (follow the link for videos) which you can try to repro like this

I also believe this ā€œshimmeringā€ bug is a byproduct of the rendering engine implementation

It is just that with SU5 it is more visible and most likely because of an overflow computation of some sort, or just this bug in the Shader code

NB: you can also see the same bug in a different way:

• set the game to early morning with the Sun about 10deg up on the horizon
  • go to external view and lay down the camera as close to the ground as possible to see the reflections from the sun opposing the view (i.e. in front of view)
  • do you see shimering on the ground highlights?
  • do you see lots of shimering as soon as you slightly move the camera?
  • do you notice the shimering attenuating over a short period of time?
3 Likes