SU6 ... save your content before updating

It’s the same advice for all updates and the safest way for any new installs too.

That is unless you actually enjoy waiting hours on end for your current content to re-download for no good reason.

You are correct. Tomorrow is SU 6 general release for everyone.

Beta testers need to follow these instructions, others don’t.

Actually I’m not a beta tester and didn’t realise this was only an update for them … so there may be special instructions for this download which you should heed before my advice.

Which was chiefly intended for those moving or installing to another drive but will always work without losing content. It’s then only 20GB plus any minor updates you can find later in your Content Manager. (ignore for this update)

Yikes. Well this officially scares me. I have the JFlight Piper Turbos. So should I be doing something different than just removing it from my community folder before I update tomorrow?

Safest is to uninstall any MSFS mods that appear in your Settings/Apps list and reinstall after the update however any personal use data such as Navigraph charts you should always back up first or choose to keep if the option is there. That includes backing up any extra personal peripherals settings etc.

This advice is aimed mostly at those in the habit of simply deleting their Community content instead of backing it up. Normally there should be no issue outside of the usual bugs and incompatibilities that always get thrown up every update.

NOTE I’ve amended my initial post. For this test they may want you to just follow your normal update procedure or they have possibly issued special instructions.

No, you don’t need to do anything special.

This information was for beta testers - it’s in the Sim Update 6 Flight; “Flight” is the Beta Test. The whole post is all about the Beta Test, read through it and you’ll see.

Some have misunderstood the post and have assumed that it’s applicable to everyone - it’s not, it’s just for Beta Testers.

For everyone else it’s just like every other update, and you should not do anything special. Just do what you normally did for SU 3/4/5 etc.

1 Like

Yup I’m guilty as charged … I actually thought the testing was finished but it would appear you haven’t even started. :grimacing:

? Testing is finished, the full release is tomorrow.

No you don’t have to uninstall them for the test … if it creates a problem they can always be downloaded again later

There’s no “test”… Tomorrow is the full release of SU6.

Why do you think there’s a test happening?

Because of what people have said above … Well in that case I shall follow my own advice and back up the Official folder too. If there’s a problem then I’ll update them but it has always worked before.

Not sure which post you’re referring to, but in any case, there’s no test. This is the actual full release of SU6, for everyone.

The test ran for a couple weeks and ends tomorrow when the full release goes live.

1 Like

In the past I’ve removed items from my community folder, saved them elsewhere, then redropped them into the community folder after I update. Is that best practice for updates?

That’s what I thought originally … well at least that it was for everyone …

(Now my head hurts) :face_with_head_bandage:

Yes, or else just use Addon Linker to make your life easier. In general it’s a good idea to empty your community folder and add things back in one by one, testing each one to make sure its not crashing the sim.

Great, thanks for your help. Fingers crossed for a smooth update. :slight_smile:

Haha well, your original thought was the right one!

Wouldn’t it be easier though to disable them one by one if such grievances should occur? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just posted some hints and tips covering a lot of these topics here:

Not really? If you have 25 addons, and the sim crashes, you mean disable one, run the sim, and so on?

It would work, but it would take ages to figure out which one is broken, wouldn’t it?

Conversely, if you add one addon at a time, you’ll know immediately if it causes issues and can eliminate that.

But hey, whatever works, right?