Sudden LOD "Priority Loading" & Very Low Quality Photogrammetry Issue - please help me

Bluetooth device (RFCOMM)…

List all your hardware in detail, please.

OK but I keep thinking, it was all working fine so I know it can work fine - just this problem surfaced from “nowhere”. For sure I am pushing my hardware to the limit though and I am due a new system for this hobby but I need to wait a bit.

Anyway, I am using a OneXPlayer 1S (hand held PC): ONEXPLAYER 1S Handheld Gaming PC - DroiX

• Intel i7 1195G7 CPU, only quad core, up to 5ghz boost
  • 16gb DDR4 ram
  • 1tb NVMe Gen 4.0 2280
  • SDXC internal (1tb, just for backups)
  • External 5400rpm 4tb drive on USB-C
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Thunderbolt 4, which has Gigabyte RTX2070 Aorus Gaming Box eGPU attached
  • BenQ Mobiusz 3440x1440 ultrawide screen
  • 2x USB hubs, with peripherals as follows:
  • Honeycomb XPC yoke
  • Saitek throttle (for that aircraft type)
  • SideWinder FFB2 joystick
  • Logitech throttle quadrant (for that aircraft type)
  • Logitech pedals, autopilot multipanel and switch box
  • StreamDeck
  • Track IR 5
  • Logitech wireless trackball mouse (USB dongle, not BT)
  • Wired USB keyboard (different to photo now)
  • Xbox 360 controller (for drone camera)

Holy … no more questions :smiley:

For testing purpose try without internet.

1 Open the Microsoft Store.
2 Click on the Three Dots menu and then click Settings.
3 Make sure your Offline Permissions is set to ON
4 Start Microsoft Flight Simulator
5 Disconnect your PC from the internet.

6 Click switch offline

press ESC > main menu > quit to desktop

7 Launch msfs without internet.

Source 1
Source 2

Edit

I’m stupid - you cant test photogrammetry without internet.

Time to go to bed :smiley:

Since this has gone on for a couple days, I want to remind you of what you initially suspected. A reinstall will almost certainly fix this.

And reinstalls take a long time, sure. But so far, with no end in sight, it might save you time.

Yeah good idea :smiley:

Look one last thing - this is why I am sure it is core software problem, not my hardware. It has NEVER done this before and I have been using it for over a year with no problems - in fact with the eGPU its amazing what it can do and I have been very happy with it, it can handle most things, even New York was acceptable :smiley:

A flight here, random island in middle of the sea, no detail, very light. As I am flying, some tiles are drawing in a different terrain colour.

If I get closer, I see more tiles.

If I move up again (drone cam) it goes back to less tiles in the bright colour.

Then flying in straight line I see squares of this kind of size (but not changing ground colour) snapping between one set of trees and another - changing as I get nearer. Something has changed and it’s not my HW setup.

Ram usage is higher than normal for light scenery area, but not at limit.

So it is SOMETHING GLOBALLY with Distance / LoD switching. Not just PG… EVERYTHING. That is software, not my hardware.

Very very strange and even more annoying. But this only started a few days ago (maybe the .net update??!) so I know it is NOT my hardware to blame.

Yeah, it is looking like the only option, but I can’t face it! I will live with it and fly in places that are OK until I decide on a new rig I think!

Thankfully this game is so epic and so huge that there is always some fun to be had somewhere. I will be able to admire the PG areas properly with a proper desktop anyway! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d say that’s definitely missing LODS probably server side as it’s similar to my Isle of Man greenies, you should give the exact location so we all can have a look. Next suspect internet, if not your wifi then possibly a bad outage somewhere on route so maybe you should try switching to a different MSFS server for up to 24hrs before switching back. If not either of these I’d suggest upgrading to Windows 11 which while gaming closes more non essential services etc. and should take some pressure off those 4 cores.

PS with 800Mbps a reinstall shouldn’t take long just back up community to a different location

Just an fyi changing server does nothing for resolving where terrain tiles are loaded from. All tile requests go to the same domain the only way of changing to a different CDN is by using a VPN. Only this will change the edge location that the request goes to.

Understood especially as it’s my belief the LODs are streamed as a full bundle. However switching servers may help rule out internet routing problems that cause the cpu to reduce which LOD layers it presents to the graphics card

Each 256x256 tile is loaded as a seperate request. Its more likely, if it is just one tile that, that particular request failed. However my guess is that this is an error in the bing data and is likely reproducable by everyone.

1 Like

Mine too hence my requst for location

I attributed GForce Experience recently to CTd’s that came from no where. Id rarely ever had them and since uninstalling GForce Experience maybe a couple of months back now… no CTd’s

Yup there are so many possibiities for CTDs and bugs but I believe not that many that Asobo/MS can fix without implementing strict caps on performance and a no 3rd party policy outside of the market place … and much heavier vetting of whatever it does allow in there.

Not many realise that testing completely vanilla means much more than just an empty community folder. In reality it means Safe Mode i.e. default aircraft, no apps e.g. Navigraph, Vatsim, AIG etc. and to cap it all, just a mouse and keyboard.

Do all that and any CTDs almost certainly point to either Windows, hardware or internet … or are repeatable (usually scenery) bugs in MSFS.

Try

1 via Device manager disable wifi card and bluetooth.
2 Share mobile internet to your “PC” via USB.
3 Launch msfs

You need to stop reading all about Bing Maps data. You are spoiling all kinds of theories with your… facts. :yum:

Changing servers is like rebooting your computer. A fresh start. A debugging technique.

Over a day (I suspect servers are restarted every day) the odds of conflicts and corruption with files this big is moderate to high. And since you cannot reboot the server, you can switch to another and see if another isn’t causing the same issue. Often enough, like rebooting your own computer, it works.

It’s the island of Montserrat in the Bahamas.

Go from TRPG airport.

This was the east coast heading back to the runway but actually all over the island was problems.

I was on EU North server I think.

I will have a look … what do your T-LOD settings look like?

1 Like

This is the main thing I have had to keep low with my little machine, so I run:

TLOD 50
OLOD 60

Can go higher in light detail areas but I just keep it at those.

Runs at locked 30fps most places. New York and places like that can drop to 20-24fps but still smooth enough. Usually. Heavy or very detailed airports can also drop it below 30.

If I don’t add a frame cap then at altitude I can get 50-60fps and 40-50 lower to ground BUT this then becomes less consistent/smooth (as CPU is trying to send too much info to the GPU).

At one point I set the frame cap at 48 (33% of my monitor refresh) but I found locking to 30 is really quite acceptable and better (and quite amazing for that little thing!). I know it can manage it, just don’t know what has suddenly changed.

I can recreate, this is bad bing data. the tiles are not colour corrected between the different LOD levels

1 Like

Oh OK, thanks for testing! So I just randomly picked a bad place to “test” :crazy_face:

But, it still highlights the strange priority loading of LOD tiles I am suddenly getting. This is the issue I feel, not exclusively Photogrammetry, but if there is PG in one of the 256x256 tiles then I also get this behaviour of low quality.

Is there a way to FORCE a RESET of the LoD sliders? Maybe it has got confused and is not respecting my setting.

Yeah it’s bad bing data most noticeable at lower LODs, probably some layers are corrupted or missing. Judging by how long the IOM has been waiting for a similar fix then don’t hold your breath. :face_with_spiral_eyes: