Suffering with poor FPS after today's update? Please submit a ticket!

I’ve had someone else suggest this to me saying it helped his performance a lot. Hopefully it can help others. It hasn’t for me unfortunately.

I’ve tried lowering all my graphics settings including LOD to minimum, as well as disabling all online services, traffic, NPC activity, etc and no change on my end.

I made this video while flying my first patterns in the new just flight piper arrow (Really first flight so don’t focus to much on the flying haha) But i recorded 2 touch and go’s and i noticed that the frame drops occur roughly at the same area’s every lap. (during downwind turn - just before base turn - in base turn and final and short final again) Notice the gpu usage/fps.

This is really upsetting.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m wondering if it could have some relationship to the Bing bug a few weeks ago where if you flew over a certain 3rd party enhanced location it would CTD.

I believe the current issue remains even with no addons.

Personally, I don’t care how hard it is, I really want Asobo to give us a rollback capability, or at least a beta branch.

1 Like

From all I’ve read about performance issues people are seeing, it sound like there are 2 distinct and separate performance problems here that people are experiencing. Perhaps they’re related, but they seem to manifest themselves in 2 very different ways.

1. Usable fps - lower than pre-patch, but still usable - but huge dips in performance at what seems like insignificant times, but with reproducible results. I actually noticed this last night when my son was playing MSFS on his computer and we were discussing my issue. He did a few of circuits. Most of the time he was at 30+ fps (was over 40 before the patch). But at certain points in the circuit, he would experience stutters, pauses, and low fps into the teens for short periods, then recover.

2. People who start up with frames in the teens and the performance only goes down from there as the plane is started, taxiied, and taken into the air. In this case, nothing in terms of changing graphics or resolution settings makes any difference. The CPU main thread remains pegged at 100%, GPU usage is 20-30%, and nothing makes any difference to try to regain performance.

3 Likes

This may be related to what I discovered with the World Map.
Huge FPS drop in world menu (and workaround). May be related to general FPS issues. 1.14.5 - Bugs & Issues / Performance, Graphics & CTDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Three more flights, three more results:

flight four, as before just for validation:

The stutter starts at command at the trigger point.

Surprizingly I have one new stutter 13miles in front of this point but fps restores after a few seconds. See it in the black/green circle, black circle is the original stutter.

Flight Five:

As microsoft recommended in their answer to my ticket I reduce the renderscaling to 80.

The stutter startet reliable as an swiss clockwork.

No stutter before like in flight four!

Flight six:

Now it becomes interesting. I modified the flightplan by removing waypoint EO462.

Big Badabum!

No stutter anymore at this point!

The new stutter some miles in front happens again (also at the same position!) and it stays a litlle longer than in flight four but then fps restored there again.

Now everyone can think what they want but for me it is pretty clear that the problems must have something to do with waypoints / coordinates.

3 Likes

I always test out each patch using the same plane at the same airport which is the Icon A5 flying out of Cozumel Mexico. When sitting on the runway I’m typically at 60fps.

Downloaded the latest Sim update and tested the same scenario. Sitting on the runway I was now down to 11 fps. I exited the sim and restarted my computer.

Once back in the sim in the A5 on the runway at Cozumel I was back to 60fps and I was flying around with no issues. I really don’t understand why there are so many different results for each user to each patch.

Regarding #2, I submitted this problem to Zendesk, ticket 96918.

Regarding #1, I have had this problem too but I cannot tell if it is related to #2. The problem has occurred if AI Traffic is enabled. Whenever ATC is chatting, performance drops a little until ATC goes quiet. After about an hour, CTD. This problem actually covers up #2 because the CTD happens before the memory leak. I have to disable AI Traffic for #2 to happen.

Yeah, I posted in your other thread earlier. Will be trying this out tonight when I get home to see if it helps at all.

Escalated up to QA. Thanks for posting here!

7 Likes

The smoothness of previous version has lost with Sim update III.
Even at little airports or at high altitudde a lot of stutters and poor FPS.

I7 10700
MSI RTX 2060 SUPER 8Gb
1 TB SSD M2 Nvme Samsung
16 GIB RAM DDR 4 @ 2667 mhz
600 Mbps fiber optic
Thrustmaster A320 Sidestick /quadrant/ add on.
PC only for MSFS .

Before this update the sim was really smooth.
Now is unplayable.

7 Likes

I second your summary of the observations posted in here.
I’m in the first category and it seems indeed to be limited to certain locations. However, those locations don’t seem to be very far in between as far as I’ve seen and read.

Good observations and testing.
It may actually be that by removing your waypoint you flown a slightly different route than before. At one area that tanks my performance in Idaho, which I have posted about above, it’s a very small area that is affected. Like 1-2 square mile area. So this may be the case for your flight six scenario, but it’s only suggestion.

I think too that it may have something to do with coordinates, location, grid borders etc.

1 Like

IMHO, It’s pretty obvious that they need to re-introduce the beta branch. There’d be hundreds of people willing to help reveal issues before each new release.

7 Likes

Many of our members at TFB are now suffering this also since last patch or WU3 MS & Asobo, and they have been asked to post zendesk tickets to move this fwd rapidly and get this fixed!

ALL POSTERS ON THIS FORUM - PLEASE ALSO POST A ZENDESK TICKET TO SPEED THIS NEEDED FIX UP

We need the dev’s to sort this mess out asap,and bring back our frames! thnx

:slight_smile:

TFB New Logo_tiny

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m just going to throw this out there. For just a thought. WAY OUT THERE!!! Humor me…
Let’s think , nop… just let me think outside the box just for a moment, Don’t hang me now folks!!! this is just a notion, something to be eliminated, if you will. The PC that does the final build, that PC that complies a build for public use, take the ram out it and replace it. I say this because I have seen on the on twitch video that some things they say that happened, they have no idea why…It’ s a long shot but I thought I’d just throw it out there for wrinkles and giggles. Please pay no heed if you think it’s bovine something or other. Think of this as noting more than just a waft in the wind.

Cheers,
Stay Ssssssssafe,
PACO572

Some oberservations:

Flew the Spitfire around the Mach Loop in Wales (that’s south of EGOD, Llanbedr Airfield).

First attempt directly after the update - terrible stutter just after the beginning of the Mach Loop, shortly before the first left-hand turn. Stutters stayed for the first couple of turns of the valley, for the rest of the Mach loop everything was fine as usual (I usually get 40-50 fp there).

I flew several loops and it appened all the time when I passed this area, always at exactly the same point.

Rebootet the PC, and the stutter in that area was gone. 40-50 fps as usual, smooth as silk.

Today:
Did the same with two friends - flying around the Mach loop in close formation. PS’s are completely different hardware and software setups.

One friend and me had exactly (!!!) the same stutters at exactly the same place as yesterday, the third one didn’t have any issues at all.

Tested this several times, always the same problem. Stutter began and ended exactly at the same time on my friend’s PC and mine. Absolutely at the same time.

After the multiplayer ended, I quit MS 2020, restared it again (no PC reboot this time) - and the stutter was gone.

Draw your own conclusions - I don’t have any idea anymore.

5 Likes

Do you have any disk measurements? Virtual memory? And do the stutters continue or stop?

I’m having the fps/stutter issues. Should I update to the latest Nvidia driver or just wait for a hotfix? I’m now using driver 460.89