Sunglasses?

I was looking for sunglasses, I was not able to find them, wich kinda disappointed me. In a sim where sunglasses would finally have a use, with all the reflections and well worked lights. Maybe this will be implemented?

5 Likes

Hi,

I’d like to make a suggestion for a future update:

Add a command to toggle wearing Sun Glasses (not just in VR by the way).

If you’ve already tried looking to the sun in game through a sun visor in an aircraft, the suggestion is to make this a standard option you can toggle with an event you can bind (keyboard shortcut / hardware etc…).

In using the same rendering principle as the sun visor but in front of the camera eye(s), this would work great, with the game renderer as-is. In turn it is like a follow-the-camera 3D glass material stuck in front of its lens(es) (one per eye in VR)

It is one little gem you have in X-Plane for decades (at least since XP9) which makes sense when in VR and you’re having the sun right in your line of sight, especially with FS2020 really neat and life like lighting. This is a very handy feature especially since we can’t put our physical hand between high intensity light sources and our eyes.

Other related feature requests:
Provide a Sharpen strength setting, and more post-processing effect controls in VR
Implement a metering system better suited for VR
Render the Sun with a fading disk when bloom is disabled
Bake Ambient Occlusion in the cockpit when Ambient Occlusion is disabled

I’ve also voted for this. Many times have i wished they worked.

4 Likes

I’d like to join to you here. Sunglasses option would be very useful.

2 Likes

What do you mean the pilot and co-pilot never take off their sunglasses even at night in the roughest weather. Just turn down/off lens flare and the problem is solved for the most part.

The problem is not lens flare but something else entirely.

The rendering engine is tone-mapping an HDR render into a LDR display which is inherently shifting the light scale up or down, and clipping the blacks and whites, especially whites in FS2020.

Wearing Sun Glasses IRL, besides filtering UV, is to also reducing exposure like in photo when you’re reducing exposure 1 or 2 stops.

The suggestion to adding a Sun Glasses Mode in FS2020 is really nothing else than reducing the exposition by 1 or 2 stops in the HDR space prior tone mapping into the LDR space. This is the only way to do it properly and can only be done in the rendering engine during rendering, not after the fact on the sRGB color space.

NB: IRL Sun Glasses can also be made with polarized glass removing reflections. In addition to reducing exposure level in the simulator, it would be great it is also simulating polarized glasses too in removing water reflection and in reducing the reflectivity of some materials.

PS: I’ve other somewhat related feature requests I’ve added to the OP

4 Likes

I really really vote for it

Great idea!

However, it is widely discouraged for pilots to wear polarised sunglasses so perhaps skip that part.

3 Likes

Attention Jayne and other Community managers:

Having just watched the monthly twitch video, I see that our messages don’t go ignored and that the devs do get our recommendations and insight, streamlined through yourselves…Thank you for this!!!

On to the main event: Sunglasses!!

Sounds like a strange request…but let me explain - I have noticed, particularly in VR, although it also applies in 2d, that we have sun visors in a few aircraft (such as the Cirrus SR22). Sadly these visors don’t work. (ie they don’t pull down) However, there are times, specifically when we are flying into sunlight that the glare is so strong that the clouds up ahead look totally overexposed, to the point where they become basically invisible. When this happens, take a look through the top of the sun visor and WOW, all the amazing contrast of the clouds come back to life almost as if you are watching an amazing sunset!

So my request to the developers is - either please get the sun visors working correctly so we can pull them down when we fly, or alternatively give us a mode taking exactly what the contrast which the sun visors are using in the sim and just make the windshield be that same contrast and call it “Sunglasses Mode” PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

I hope this is a simple mod that you could implement as it will really show the Sim’s clouds in even more of its amazing glory!!!

Thanks for considering this.

I thought I would add this to my post = in the twitch video, Asobo mentioned that they have brightness toggle on the wishlist for the new VR wishlist/roadmap.
Perhaps you can incorporate my request into that roadmap for brightness?

Great … very good idea !!

Where I would prefer the mode as sunglasses, which you can then switch on. As well as the torch at night too !!

Turning off Bloom may help to a small degree.

Still waiting for this feature. My eyes burn sometimes under the white skies when flying in VR with the G2.

Thank you!

4 Likes

Have you tried to turn down your gamma and brightness outside of the game.

Have you actually read the posts in this discussion prior posting? Unless I’m missing something, turning down anything outside the simulator has nothing to do at all with the problem this topic is exposing.

3 Likes

Hello,

thank you for your suggestion but no, I didnt try that, for reasons. If so, I must adjust that for each flight and then also calculate lighting conditions and times. Thats not the way. And, as I fly under real weather/real time conditions weather and lighting may change through the flight, I never know when I will need the sunglasses and when not.

Just like in the real world.

Try approaching KSEA 16 runways on an sunny winter day at high noon. Without sunglasses you are practically blind. And as I am already wearing glasses under my G2 I can not easily use sunglasses on top too.

The TBM930 improvement mod with its working sunshades :pray: shows that this must be a minute (or two) of coding to implement such an essential feature. It is all there, why keep it under the hood?

I really have serious difficulties to understand to myself why the simplest things takes the longest.

And the most annoying thing on this is, that the “virtual” pilots in the game ALWAYS wear sunglasses!

P.S. Those who read this, please vote. Thank you!

3 Likes

Does it add any value to the XBox version?.. :smiling_imp:

In any case, this is not a problem which can be addressed in any way post-processing. This is rooted in the rendering engine at the HDR rendering level (i.e. before tone-mapping or at tone-mapping).

If you (not you @sehnsedahamses but any you) don’t know or understand why, please search the net for tone-mapping in video games and in 3D rendering, you’ll learn much more about the subject than any of my posts.

2 Likes

No. Nothing takes an value to the xbox version beside making it run somehow :face_with_hand_over_mouth:.

1 Like

This feature would be highly appreciated if possible to be implemented. In some light conditions especially during midday sun flare or whatever you call it makes really hard to see displays and outside world. Realism is fine but we need to see like we do in the real world as well. Give us sun glasses :slight_smile:

Kind regards.

1 Like

Without this feature it makes it impossible to visually land with airplanes that have smaller windows.

This is because the auto exposure function is adjusting to the brightness in the cockpit. Almost everything outside is overexposed.

I would love an option to wear sunglasses.

2 Likes