Support for Wide FOV VR headsets (removing Frustum Culling issue)

Hi VR enthusiasts and MS/Asobo team!

I think its important to point out that FS2020 at this point is not natively supporting VR headsets with wide FOV (such as Pimax). Which is quite concerning.

The current workaround to run FS2020 properly with Pimax VR headsets is to enable Parallel Projection (in PiTool settings) which does make the sim render correctly with wide FOV. But using Parallel Projection reduces the performance by up to 20-30%, because of the higher resolution that needs to be rendered, which Parallel Projection requires.

While running FS2020 without Parallel Projection enabled, does render the 3D image and wide FOV correctly, but the issue remains that objects and textures in peripheral view (outside of 110 FOV area) gets invisible and pops in/out while you look around.

Some objects are visible in the peripheral view, while others aren’t. This creates a weird effect of textures, gauges and some 3D objects to pop in when they gets inside the 110FOV area only, and pops out while outside of the area.

This issue is well known as “frustum culling” and most developers are nowadays adapting to wide FOV (which is now becoming a standard in VR) by fixing this problem in their VR games and sims, simply by removing the use of frustum culling in the game/sim engine. Developers of well known simulators like DCS, Elite Dangerous, RFactor2 among others have already solved this.

Now, I would like to raise the voice in here, on the official FS2020 forums, and hopefully make the Asobo developers aware of this frustum culling issue, as I feel its something that needs to be solved in FS2020 VR.

Personally I’m quite surprised that this haven’t been addressed already during the closed Beta phase, as I know the Beta program included a whole bunch of Pimax headset owners being early Beta testers.

By getting this minor issue fixed, FS2020 would proudly support all high-end wide FOV headsets such as Pimax 8KX and 8K Plus, the XTAL 8K as well as StarVR. Meanwhile, it would improve the VR performance by up to 30% when wide FOV is used.

And being an active VR enthusiast myself, I know there are thousands and thousands of VR Flight Simulator enthusiasts out there, with wide FOV VR headsets, that are eagerly waiting for native wide FOV support in FS2020 VR. I hope many of you in here agree with me on this.

We would all highly appreciate if Asobo could solve this in an upcoming hot fix.

Thanks
Martin Lammi
Pimax

37 Likes

i for myself got a 11-13 fps boost with my 8kX by turning off Parallel Projection, but sadly the cullings are destroying the whole experience. A fix for this would be great!

3 Likes

same here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi
I fully support Martin Lammi’s request!
Please Asobo/MS consider Martin’s suggestion, so all wide FOV VR users can enjoy MSFS to the fullest. Myself included.
Thank you!

4 Likes

Yes think about us with wide FoV and future headsets that will have it also.:+1::+1:

I enlisted for beta but wasnt selected…or I would have adressed this issue.

2 Likes

I totally agree. I’m really looking forward to buying this simulator but until this is fixed or supported, I won’t buy it. Sorry and Microsoft-Asobo keep pushing to make it possible. Many thanks.

3 Likes

100% agree. Asobo, please address this issue.

3 Likes

Dear,
Asobo and Microsoft please look into this VR FOV issue as outlined by Martin Lammi above.

The new VR integration into MSFS is just incredible. VR really brings this already fantastic flightsim experience into a completely new world of realism, but for the wide FOV headset owners this bug is killing us.

Please look into resolving this issue for us VR flight simmers
Many thanks

3 Likes

100% agree. Asobo, please address this issue,thanks for a great sim :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yes, I have the 5K+. Il2 and DCS both have removed the need for Parallel Projection to be run. MFS 2020 hasn’t added the fix for canted displays yet. Please do! Great work on the sim, everyone!

2 Likes

Hi are you starting steam VR through Pitools or are you starting steam VR separately?

try importing steam VR into pitools games and open it from there - you will not see any culling

Steve

1 Like

I ordered the pimax 8kx a few days ago specially for FS2020 vr.
First time vr user.
Hope fov issues will be resolved.

Thank you

2 Likes

Congrats to your new 8KX! I really hope so too :slight_smile: Although you can of course use wide FOV in FS2020, but with the above fix the performance would be much improved!

Edit: Note that using Parallel Projection is just a temporary workaround, which should NOT be considered as a solution to support wide FOV.

2 Likes

Hello
Please MS and Asobo consider Martin Lammi’s suggestion.
FOV widthis the future just like MSFS
Thanks a lot .

3 Likes

My order has not arrived. Looking forward to try it out with FS2020 soon. I think MS will have to fix the fov issue, good visual experience is too important for VR with FS2020 to be successful!

2 Likes

FS2020 is a fantastic experience in my Pimax, however I would love to get native support for wide FOV. Keep up the good work and please implement this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for this. It would be an excellent improvement for everyone with a wide FOV HMD. Perhaps a graphics option for Frutsum Culling On/Off could be incorporated if not just turning it off/increasing its FOV all together.

3 Likes

Hi
I fully support Martin Lammi’s request. I am using a Pimax 5K-XR and the game is just wonderfull but unfortunaltely there is those artefact on side poping up.
Please Asobo/MS consider Martin’s suggestion, so all wide FOV VR users can enjoy MSFS to the fullest. Myself included.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I am one more who endorses this request for support of FS 2020 for wide FOXV VR headsets.

2 Likes

I also support this request to address this issue. The experience in a wide FOV headset for this simulation really takes the immersion to another level and it is a shame that the experience is hindered by this easily resolved issue.

2 Likes