Taxiway Sign Size Incorrect at All Airports [Too Small]

All taxiway signs around the globe are set to SIZE 1 by default, even at the handcrafted airports. This is incorrect, and the signs are far too small to read comfortably from an airliner. Taxiway signs are supposed to be large and clear for pilots to read, and in their current state, they’re even difficult to read in the seat of a Cessna. To see a size comparison, look at the pictures below. Notice how the grass reaches the bottom of the sign face in MSFS, but in real life, those taxiway signs are massive.

Please size global taxiway signs by maximum runway length. @Tjoeker wrote out this nice chart.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/taxiway-sign-issues-naming-accuracy-size/184819/14

Size | support height | billboard height (on top of support/measured without support) | text size | max runway length of airport

Size 1 | 18cm / 7inch | 50cm / 20inch | 25cm / 10inch | 800m / 2600ft

Size 2 | 18cm / 7inch | 66cm / 26inch | 33cm / 13inch | 1200m / 3900ft

Size 3 | 18cm / 7inch | 81cm / 32inch | 40.5cm / 16inch | 1800m / 5900ft

Size 4 | 18cm / 7inch | 127cm / 50inch | 63.5cm / 25inch | 1800m+ / 5900ft+

I’m sure there is a simple way to create a program that goes through each airport, finds the maximum runway length, and from that determines the appropriate taxiway sign size (for example, if an airport had a maximum runway length of 4,000 ft, the taxiway sign size would be size 3. If an airport had a 5,800 ft runway, it would use size 3. If an airport had a 10,000 ft runway, it would use size 4, etc.).

Compare these real signs:

to MSFS signs:

It’s hard to see in these pictures, especially because of how zoomed in the MSFS is, but they’re way too small.

VOTE ON OTHER TAXIWAY SIGN ISSUE THREADS!

Taxiway Sign Size Incorrect at All Airports [Too Small]

Taxiway Sign Font Incorrect & Hard to Read

Taxiway Sign Contrast / Glare Makes Them Illegible [WAY too bright!]

Information Taxiway Signs Incorrectly Implemented (Wrong Colors)

Ability to Create Two-Sided Taxiway Signs

Revamped Taxiway Paint / Markings (they look noticeably inaccurate right now)

This is the important fix for Asobo to make with respect to taxiway signs. They are too small to read. Asobo needs to make the taxiway signs bigger.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Scenery Editor:

• New feature to group, rename, re-order, hide and lock items in the scene list
  • Fixed freeze during saving
  • New airport light system
  • Add a button in airport properties to generate taxiway signs
  • Improve heightmap edition
  • Don’t lock runway profile extremity
  • Fix taxiway sign size (wasn’t correctly serialized in BGL)

Can’t get into the sim today, but it sounds like the taxiway sign size bug was fixed! If anyone else can, report back with screenshots!!

i just took off from KSFO and the signs looked huge. im not sure if its always been like that but it caught my attention

1 Like

YAY glad to hear! Taxiway signs are huge in real life. You could read them from afar, yeah?

1 Like

absolutely. it was night and day compared to how it was before

2 Likes

I noticed a very large sign at Glasgow airport as I taxied to parking. Fair enough it was still only one sided, but its size did catch my attention.

I hope over the next week or so someone at Asobo puts a more complete list of changes beyond the list we have so far seen.

I hope so too! I think the sign size issue was a bug from the start, but we’re going to have to push for a two-sided sign. Vote and comment here! Ability to Create Two-Sided Taxiway Signs

2 Likes

looks like its not fixed everywhere. small signs in JFK

1 Like

A small airport in Scotland. Still only one sided though, but its a step in the right direction.

1 Like

Nice! Out of curiosity, what is the max runway length at that airport? If it’s a small airport that sign looks too large haha

5741ft. It was Campbeltown EGEC. Not as small as I first made out, but only a single runway.

Ok that makes more sense - it’d be a size 3 or 4 sign. Size 4 signs should have a height of about 4.2’. Considering the tail of the C172 has a height of 8’12", it seems maybe a decent bit too big, but much better than it was for sure.

It’d make more sense to be size 3 at this airport though.

1 Like

This looks like the correct size for a size 3 airport (between about 3900 and 5900 ft runway length). If that’s the size of airport you’re at, that’s great.

EDIT: Actually, maybe size 4 (international airport) size - that looks too big for size 3 now that I think about it…

1 Like

I think a slider would be the best solution to this problem.

One potential issue with the slider method is that not all runway signage is the same size, relatively speaking. They would have to ensure that their relative sizes are correct to start with, then a single size slider becomes useful.

2 Likes

I think that is what the gateway scenery in development is for. Once the gateway scenery is done, the community can “crowd source” can ensure all the information on the taxiway signs are correct. The gateway scenery could also allow the community to “crowd source” and correct the taxiway signs at all the airports.

At that point, the slider would be very useful because the taxiway signs will all have the correct information and correct size.

In any case, without a slider implemented, I like the current size of the taxiway signs as they are now. Some people that play on VR have complained that they can’t use any airport charts in VR and they need to be able to read the taxiway signs.

1 Like

The airfield signage for small airfields are absolutely huge in the latest update. I have noticed a big change in the Scottish airfields that I fly out of. If you want a good laugh then go to Aboyne Airfield EGZM. it’s hilarious.

1 Like