TERRIBLE LOD is destroying a potentially great sim

That’s definitely off peak hours. Servers would likely be in a good mood.

There are telltale signs of slow servers. Namely, seeing square texture tiles pop on.

When that happens, you may want to switch servers to see if that doesn’t help.

Whatever people are reporting is not the same as the SU11 LOD issue which happened to everyone all the time.

During beta, server issues seemed to get the most false positives, when folks would report the LOD issue was back.

And, if course, at times the LOD may need to switch to those low settings when your system is under stress. That is supposed to happen. If it happens a lot, perhaps restart your sim, reboot your console, perhaps switch servers, and try flying from a new location…

Most of these issues quelled themselves within a day or so anyway if the user did nothing to fix them.

If the LOD issue is back as the thread title suggests, everyone would be able to take the same low LOD screenshots. And every other screenshot ever taken before SU11 would show proper LOD.

Photographs go a long way towards diagnosis and reproducibility.

LOD problem is definitely there but only when it comes to big airplanes like A310 - terrible buildings LOD and blurry textures - unplayable.
When it comes to smaller airplanes/helicopter then i believe that everythink is ok.

3 Likes

Complex airplanes, big photogrammetry cities near big airports, excessive speeds near ground in populated areas… and NYC.

Things like those can cause serious stress on your CPU and trigger the LOD scaling as it is intended to work.

The problem before was that the LOD scaling was ALWAYS ON no matter what.

Working properly, it will only turn on when needed. But it will turn on occasionally.

1 Like

Same here on my xbox

2 Likes

Ok, let’s try to analyze it: except the small mandatory update, theoretically not a single byte changed from the last Beta build to the public patch. Anyway, several users noticed a dramatic downgrade in LOD and texture definition as soon as the Beta became public. So, what’s wrong? Maybe is it really a server problem? I’m just a gamer, an old one (45, still in love with MSFS 2004…), not an engineer, but it seems that the imponderability of servers status is playing a big part in our frustration…

4 Likes

Hope this helps… Madrid, rough video taken with my phone. Look at this mess:

1 Like

Yes, that’s one possible theory and seems plausible. I’m just as puzzled as you are. Literally not a single thing changed - same version number, no updates or anything. Only thing that changed was: went from beta to public, although nothing got changed or updated during the transition.

But the issue now is: terrible ground texture quality, poor LOD even if you’re just 1500-2000 feet above runways and scenery pop plus bad photogammetry almost everywhere. It was literally the opposite while I was still in beta…almost flawless… So it has to be the beta servers or whatever… maybe they are more efficient? I dunno, just a theory.

But if it were the servers, then how come I hover the drone can at around 2000 feet it starts to look kinda bad and then just a few hundred or up to a thousand feet or more, it looks like an oil painting?

Asobo better get to the root cause, quick. This is getting frustrating and potentially a bad weekend for everyone on Xbox… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just done some more flying across multiple locations. I don’t believe this is a server issue as from 10k-20k feet f or example the runways and surrounding textures look unrecognisable…almost like a bad oil painting. Reminds me of ps2/xbox360 textures.

Fly around 2000 feet and they look okay but definitely poor quality. Something must have upset the code in this last update. Apparently, the Xbox still thinks it’s running out of RAM.

An easy test would be to play the game offline or turn bing maps and photogammetry off. Again, pretty sure this is not a server issue because no matter where you fly and what time of day, everything on the ground looks very poor quality and blurry, like we’ve suddenly gone back to 720p resolution with medium level detail.

I flew the YMF-5 so low over San Francisco yesterday (I ended up crashing into a building, ha. I cannot fly in 3rd person to save my life.) looking for issues with photogrammetry, such as those reported elsewhere here.

Uh, S.F. looked awesome. I couldn’t believe how good it looked. There were occasional photogrammetry weirdnesses, but photogrammetry isn’t perfect. Many of the buildings looked extremely detailed.

In the interest of time, so I could test immediately, I spawned in the air at 1500’ in the middle of the South Bay flying northward towards the Oakland S.F. Transbay Bridge. I could see Sutro Tower on top of Twin Peaks completely clearly. The loading cranes along the waterfront were crisp. The buildings were crisp. The ground textures of the defunct Alameda Naval Air Station were crisp. Yerba Buena island’s textures were crisp.

I feel like “LOD” is being thrown around to encompass everything. If there is an LOD issue, it ain’t the one that existed in SU11, because that was universal and ever-present.

3 Likes

I haven’t flown in busy areas yet, but to me the AAU1 has really improved the visuals on Xbox Series X.

I’m flying the YMF-5 at 1000’ over Manhattan right now and my only issue is I’ve had four decently long stutters — something I’ve not experienced with the sim in quite awhile.

Beyond that, there are the occasional texture upgrades happening in the near distance, but it is even less pronounced than I’ve seen even in the last couple of the days in the beta. These texture upgrades have always existed as far back as I can remember and seem to come in small waves.

As far as NYC photogrammetry goes, the tallest skyscrapers in the Financial District look pretty bad, not due to deformities, but due to the poor quality photogrammetry textures provided and are not Asobo’s fault. Their textures are clearly photographs that include heavily reflected neighboring buildings in their surfaces and that looks terrible when viewed up close since they are static reflections and don’t look realistic, at all. Again, that is not a fault of the sim. It can only produce what it is given for textures.

I’m just not seeing the “sky is falling” level of issues reported by others. Perhaps those suffering from issues can take solace in that knowing it isn’t universal and is, potentially, something messed up about their install and/or their connections to the various data centers providing the streamed content.

2 Likes

Please, try to replicate my flight above Madrid and report what you see. Compare it with my video. I just tested it again, with some stock GA planes and is still a mess. Never saw such a bad quality. Heading north, if I look back toward the city, Bernabeu Stadium completely disappears, then it appears after 2 seconds. Looks even worse than SU11 original release.

2 Likes

Here’s some screenshots of Harlem and Midtown. This doesn’t look PS2 to me. The screenshots look worse on the web here, due to whatever size reduction posting them puts them through.:

2 Likes

I’m looking at your phone-recorded video and it’s quality is affecting my ability to discern any detail issues within the sim itself.

What altitude are you flying at in the video?

EDIT:

Again, I’m at 1000’ over the stadium in Madrid, right now, in the YMF-5 and the city looks amazing! I’ll never flown here, before. I think I can see Carlos Sainz house! Haha.

What am I doing here? I think I need to buy an airplane ticket to Spain!

EDIT2:
Screenshots. Check out the detailing on that retaining wall flanking the major roadway there, it’s beautiful. I need to get out and do flights like this more often. I’m too much of a procedural nerd and not enough of a tourist!

Stunning pictures❤️

The problem doesn’t occur when you’re directly above buildings. Watch my video and pay attention to the buildings in the background. They literally pop up after a couple of seconds. Pretty sure I never saw this in Beta

2 Likes

I posted a video during beta detailing buildings on short final popping out and then in popping in again. Perhaps that is related to what you see.

Anyhow, you said GA planes, so I’m in a GA plane.

Again, what altitude are you having the issue?

10k, 5k, with GA planes and airliners. It doesn’t matter, I see that every single time…

1 Like

I am at 7000’ flying due north towards Madrid in the A320.

I’m in 3rd person looking directly at the nose of the aircraft and all the terrain behind it.

What am I supposed to be seeing? Buildings popping in? In the distance? Near-distance, mid-distance, far-distance? I’m not seeing anything weird here.

I have a 180° view of Madrid and the only thing I’ve seen — which I’ve seen in this sim going back many versions — is the occasional wave of updated textures at some mid-distance point. It doesn’t happen constantly, but does happen occasionally.

I’m trying here, but totally failing.

EDIT:

Here’s a video (That vintage Air France livery is divine. I wish they painted aircraft like that still.):

View Capture |  Xbox