Thanks Asobo, this turbulence is absolutely spot on!

Awesome, thanks for your help

We’re referring to approaches, we are not saying it is perfect everywhere, since it will require more effort to simulate the other aspects you mention.

1 Like

Unfortunatelly this is indeed what is simulated. Gusts have 3 variables: direction, speed and frequency. The last one is the problem because usually it´s simulated by means of a random graph like the following.

It´s gust speed versus time. The typical controllability problem happens when you have a behaviour like the one on the right side of the graph, with winds changing from min to max speed every second or so. If the changes are like the ones on the left side of the graph then turbulence is fine, as changes are more averaged.

Asobo has a good approach for this implementation. All they need to do is to tune is the frequency of gusts. Changes need to be more averaged in time, even if they still go from min speed to max speed within 1 minute, so that you still need to adjust your control surfaces but without feeling that you are flying in front of an asymmetric giant fan that is changing wind speed instantly.

By the way this happens on Asobo aircraft as well. It´s not a problem of the third party developers.

Cheers

4 Likes

Yeah. But I still dont see turbulence during approach/landing. Wind gusts yes. And mechanical turbulence close to ground yes.
No other turbulence.
Might change with SU11+ with that 20km weather/thermal/wind radius they talked abt.

They had excellent turbulence in CBs etc when the sim came out. But after SU5(?) it was removed/totally dumbed down as some armchair pilots with controllers could’nt fly their might 152 through bad WX…

4 Likes

@CptEvillian,
Since this category isn’t votable, what do you think if I create a poll for users to vote on?

If so, suggest options for this poll as once a poll is created, we can’t change/edit it without losing votes on the poll.

EDIT - Poll is here:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/thanks-asobo-this-turbulence-is-absolutely-spot-on/544851/57

10 Likes

I want to feel this in my Honeycomb Alpha Yoke when live weather has wind gusts from a hurricane in the Atlantic.

1 Like

I think that is an excellent idea, this category is more visible and we still get the votes for Asobo to see

1 Like

Consider this a petition to not reduce the gusts, if you can’t handle the gusts, fly FSX/P3D

7 Likes

100% Asobo must not spoil this now.
It’s absolutely perfect, in terms of simulating turbulence.

Don’t have my PPL yet, but from the tiny bit of IRL flight I have visually the bouncing appeared and felt the same on a less than perfect day.

Anyone struggling can turn off live weather and adjust to suit what they need.

10 Likes

Some were saying they couldn’t handle their 172 with 30 kt crosswind. But who can?! LOL

5 Likes

Another topic of interest:

1 Like

To me, if MSFS had a hundred settings specifically dedicated to the flight model, that wouldn’t be enough. This app is called Flight SIMULATOR, not Flight Yay-Let’s-Crash-Into-Stuff. That said, those who don’t like realistic flight who paid for the app should have a voice as well. BOTH of these groups could be made happy if settings were available to match their needs.

Heck, go ahead and default the settings to smooth flight - that works for me, because I can figure out what I want. Just give everyone more choices.

But to me the only exception should be Real Weather. It should reflect REALISM whether that happens to be smooth flying or extreme turbulence. If you don’t want that, select something else.

Just make a button in the weather section with the old model and one for realism. How hard can it be?

Now I’m still waiting for a working weather radar which is one of the most important things in a plane!

• Keep turbulence model as it is, I like it!
  • I like it but would like to see turbulence improved, including interaction with clouds.
  • I don’t like it; turbulence should be reduced.

0 voters

37 Likes

Options to adjust the turbulence in real weather? What for? Then it is no longer real weather. For this purpose there are the weather presets, with which you can create your desired weather.

29 Likes

Please Asobo please read this one line very carefully:
It´s a flight SIMULATOR which means all difficulties and challenges of flying are simulated. This also means icing, fully having unheated front windows freezing over, turbulence, downdrafts. Blowing tires when landing with too much speed, and other interesting challenges.

[MODERATOR EDIT: Removed this paragraph to comply with the Code of Conduct on this forum.]

To keep this great simulator challenging interesting, and difficult.
The more difficult and study-level, the better :wink:

28 Likes

If a commercial pilot and people who’ve actually flown aircraft’s are saying that the new turbulence model is realistic, then I see no reason why Asobo should listen to :v:veteran simmers :v: and turn it down.

As I’ve stated in one of my earlier threads, people who suggest flight model changes should only do so with actual data to back their claims, as well as present their qualifications of actual hours flying an aircraft. And no, purely simming for 20+ years does not count.

[MODERATOR EDIT: Removed this sentence. Please do not tag community team members.]

23 Likes

I just downloaded SU10, did all the ingame updates and went for a test flight in the TBM at LOWI (rather bad weather there today).

I was amazed about the smoothness and clarity of the sim (in VR), and I loved the turbulence. The plane felt alive in the air…

Well done, Asobo!

9 Likes

Asobo, please keep the turbulence and gusts if real life pilots like it! Please do not dumb down the gusts and turbulence based on feedback from people that aren’t real life pilot!

I am not a real life pilot, but if 737 NG Driver and other real life pilots likes the gusts, please keep it!

31 Likes

At the end of this poll, can you send this poll to Asobo? Please let Asobo know the results of the poll. Thanks!

7 Likes