Thanks Asobo, this turbulence is absolutely spot on!

Even though I am one of the people that thinks the turbulence is pretty good as it stands, I too think that down voting should be an option. I’ve brought this up before, and got shouted down by forum members fearful of their pet wants being down voted, and was told by mods that down voting isn’t a feature of the forum software. So while I agree that without a down vote, the developers only get one side of the community view on a specific topic, it’s not likely to change.

1 Like

If we can’t downvote, then using forum as opinion/wishlist for complete changes shouldn’t be used if they can’t add options for things they completely change or remove. Well, it’s MS/Asobo decission in the end but it’s hard to make everyone happy if they only can see upvotes.

1 Like

That makes sense. Your weather preset has 8kts at ground level, but you look maybe a thousand feet up in that shot.

I want a hurricane simulation mission with a Hurricane hunter, so yes please more realistic weather!

You should consider adding your support to the Wishlist item mentioned earlier in this thread:

2 Likes

I just had to comment, I feel like they’ve fixed this or I’ve adapted to the model. I no longer experience this issue. I should note that I use the Toobi head tracker, and my perspective tends to stay relatively fixed while it’s the aircraft that moves. It has caused me to develop sense of the crosswinds that I cross control as I’m landing. I wonder if this would be feasible for sim pilots who don’t have rudder pedals and a head tracker. Regardless, either they fixed this or I’ve adapted. But either way, the sim is playable again.

Over time it’s amazing what one can evolve to be able to do !

3 Likes

Nah, let’s not bring toxic down votes into the Flightsim forums. A lack of up votes will have the same effect of informing Asobo as to where the priorities should be placed.

5 Likes

I’ve often thought a downvote option would be preferable, than to have a report button. (which is way over used and abused)

1 Like

Starting to get dragged into a separate discussion :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I agree.
Back on topic. The turbulence is not “spot on” It needs some more work.
I don’t like all the rapid bouncing around.

3 Likes

Thank you for explaining this as you did. I too am a pilot IRL and love that this modeling has been attempted, but like you said, it is over exaggerated. I agree with your Xwind comments above. I also have noticed a crazy left/right yaw affect that I have never felt in my Archer II IRL, unless I was doing it on purpose with the rudder. My hope is that the team can figure this exaggeration out and tame it a bit. But I also wonder how much of this has to do with the plane you fly in MSFS…specifically GA. I only fly GA and have noticed that JF Warrior II used to have amazing flight dynamics prior to SU11. Now, it gets tossed around unrealistically, left/right up/down. However, I have also noticed that the Bonanza V35B actually handles the wind much better and more realistic feeling, if anything it’s a little too much like riding on rails. My hope is JF gets their update done soon to the Warrior and Arrow and then we can see whether MSFS needs to truly tone down their gust effects.

3 Likes

Are they still working on those? Has not been updated for a long time. I think all of the 3rd party devs needs to follow the progress of the sim and update their products. All of the models feels different. For example the Milviz 310 sp1 update feels amazing. And the wbsim cessna 172 mod also feels good that gets updates all the time to stay fresh.

I think Asobo can’t change the core sim because a specific flight model is bad or not updated and follows the progression of the coresim.

I bet they can improve the air behaviour as well but it also needs to work with every single aircraft. For example, if they tune down the turbulence for ga it will also affect airliners. Because both flying in same atmosphere.

1 Like

They are updating them…hopefully soon. If you go to the Just Flight Community, and click on Warrior II and Flight Model post, Martyn (JF) is asking for volunteers to test flight model for the upcoming updates.

2 Likes

I have the same observations and we are having a similar discussion here:

I have posted many times in this thread and could not agree more. As I previously commented, I have performed exhaustive tests over many hours in over a dozen light aircraft in an attempt to further isolate the problem. Indeed, I found that the aircraft’s flight model quality was the single most important element in establishing how realistically the aircraft responds to the new Asobo gust system.

Surprisingly, I found that of the aircraft tested, both payware and default, modded and unmodded, the G58 Baron was the worst offender. A heartbreak for me as I used to fly this one often and since the new gust system it’s basically been abandoned. No other aircraft tested exhibits the gross exaggeration of lateral ‘tail-waggin’ that this bird does. There is something in its flight model that is way off in this regard and even the improvement mod now available on flightsim.to does not tame this behaviour.

For anyone wishing to test this, and assuming you have the MSFS version with the Baron, please replicate this flight precisely:

Short direct flight from St. Barts TFFJ to Vance Amory TKPN. Set your cruise altitude to 7,000ft. Depart between 11am - 3pm. Use real weather and no pilot assistance aids. The real weather at this location is almost always a westerly wind with 10-15kn gusts. Also use exterior views to visualize
exactly what the aircraft is doing. Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is also mostly live weather.

The JF 146 flying over mountains like the Alps is downright silly. That plane really does not like the new gust system either.
DC-6 also.

They behave like paperweights

I was flying the X Cub Performance by Carbonprop from Bush League Legends over Madeira the other day. The turbulence and the tail wagging was very strong.

So based on what MGouge425 said in his comments on his Baron mod on Flightsim.to,

“The Pitch, Yaw and Roll Gyro Stability have all been increased from 0.25 to 1.0 to improve the aircraft stability during turbulence”

I modified the flight_model.cfg of the X Cub as he described and now it’s flying more the way I think could be realistic. You still see and feel the turbulence, but it is not so distracting anymore. I think this is just an option for the time being.

pitch_gyro_stability = 1.0 ; changed from 0.25
roll_gyro_stability = 1.0 ; changed from 0.25
yaw_gyro_stability = 1.0 ; changed from 0.25

1 Like

Disagree, but there is no other option right now sadly.

1 Like

According to today’s Q&A, we will be getting an additional option in the assistance settings for turbulence in Sim Update 12. We’ll have “realistic,” “medium,” and “low” turbulence settings, and the limits to thermal drafts have been removed for the realistic setting. Hopefully that further improves on turbulence realism!

4 Likes