The current camera system is a disaster

the logic is strange ,no user friendly at all, lack of important views(flyby,tower),no one key bind, can not remember the zoom level,default zoom is incorrect …
i think Asobo should rework the system , the worst camera system i have seen

25 Likes

I could not agree more. Current system was bad to start when it worked right and it has not worked right in over a year and BADLY needs a complete overhaul. I could do a TED talk just on the camera system alone. I think this should be a VERY high priority item as it’s something we use every flight.

The amount of extra clicking to even fix the proper camera positions as it is now is just insane. The math on the camera system is wrong and yields incorrect results almost every time you switch cameras.

I think everyone is so used to it being broken now they just don’t even notice.

4 Likes

You could search the #self-service:wishlist and contribute to existing topics. The wishlist is used to request features or changes in MSFS.

A search for “camera”:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/search?context=category&context_id=163&q=Camera%20&skip_context=false

it really work? the wish about camera api is there for almost TWO years,why?the wishlist , imo,have no help to increase the camera system,Asobo never consider about this.

While I fully agree that they need to add fly by and tower cameras, I’m not sure what you mean by “no one key bind”.

Let’s take the PMDG 737 or example. Inside the cockpit I assign custom views to keys on my numpad. If I want the captain view I press numpad7. If I want the first officer view I press numpad9. If I want the overhead panel I press numpad8. If I want the rear pedestal view I press numpad0. If I want the FMC view I press numpad6. These are all “one key” binds I have set up.

The first thing I do when I load into any aircraft for the first time ever is to set my camera views. It literally takes about 60 seconds. I might base some of these view off the default views, or I’ll create my own, depending on the aircraft. Once that’s all done, it’s done for life.

EDIT: And yeah, do we really need yet ANOTHER thread on this? lol

4 Likes

Yes, you are right, I totally agree with what you said, however, these are very basic functions you said, let me ask you a question, for PMDG737, how can I bind a cabin seat? I want to sit by the window like a passenger and look at the engine, look at the flaps, can you please tell me how to bind only with the default camera system without modifying the file? You will tell me to use a fixed camera, so how to switch the fixed camera with one click? I have absolutely no idea what the developers were thinking when they developed the fixed camera system.!!!Why do they have to switch to the showcase mode before they can switch to the fixed camera? Why does i have to follow the plane when I switch to the external camera? I know it’s possible to unlock the tracking, but why do you have to take one more step, besides, the zoom level is completely wrong in any case, completely different from reality, unless your eyes are wider than the width of your face, otherwise I The default zoom level is not considered to be visible to humans. You don’t know the camera system has bugs, and their attitude towards the camera system is unsatisfactory,i advise they should experienced the "excellent"camera system

2 Likes

If I want to create a wing view, I just navigate to the cabin from the cockpit, set up the view and save it. I usually use numpad1 for the left wing and numpad3 for the right wing. So I can recall these with one single keystroke, a “one key bind” and no need to go to the showcase camera.

Now, depending on the developer of the aircraft, they may have set up a “barrier” between cockpit and cabin, meaning you can’t natively move to the cabin, in which case yes, you need to modify the camera CFG file temporarily to allow you to get outside the cockpit and reload the aircraft.

I’m not saying the camera system doesn’t need work. It absolutely does. I’m just saying that it’s not as bad as you’re trying to make out.

4 Likes

i agree with you,but those are basic function,they never fix those plenty of bugs ,and never open the api,the attitude is unacceptable at all

1 Like

I definitely agree with that. I’d just rather they’d fix actual bugs and give us a stable sim before bringing in new features.

1 Like

A lot in the sim, including the camera system, would be much better if the settings and bindings were named more sensible and if the controls menu was designed more user-friendly and with more creativity than a long list with 100s of sub-menus. I’m not a native english speaker but in 20 years of knowing the language quite okay-ish and with many english-speaking friends I have never heard of “translate” as “moving” something. I found it in the dictionary to have that meaning, too. Going through the settings there are many such names that made me look them up just to shake my head afterwards. It’s even worse if one uses the german version of the game. The description of the camera system makes no sense at all, it’s a wild guess of what it will do. And worst but not least (or so :wink: ) the camera window in the ingame menu bar must have been created by someone who just had to finish the job and move on to the next task. It just makes no sense to design a camera system like that. The basic idea behind all that to give maximum freedom to move and assign custom views to every aircraft is fine, really… But like so much in this sim the design decision is disastrous.

3 Likes

A Flight Simulator without a Tower view…
The guys that developed MSFS have probably never played with MS FSX.

7 Likes

@Ephedrin87 we agree on the bad documentation around camera options. These little texts say nothing

The menu camera popup is not handy (sliders are too short) and it is too slow… I use the key bindings for the drone camera. You can change rotation velocity and speed using key bindings, I have zoom percentage assigned to - and + so I don’t need that silly little window.

Screenwise, the MSFS camera works perfectly imho. I don’t see many real bugs actually. Some things

improvements

• initially, you get some arbitrary camera zoom in the cockpit, it is different for every aircraft
  • when upper position camera in cockpit, don’t tilt the cam view downward
  • when upper position camera in cockpit allow ceiling to be the limit
  • allow toggle cockpit instruments on screen while in drone camera and plane is controlled

wishes

• give us a screenshot key. It sets Ultra+, waits 5 sec, snap image, then back to previous mode
  • copy current drone camera coords longitude/latitude (text) to clipboard with a keypress
  • in the camera keyboard settings, could you please show relevant text to explain drone options ?
  • bookmarks and in/out for drone camera ? upgrade the forum tutorial for current version
1 Like

I cannot understand what happens when i press insert end insert. Sometimes it moves me back to the drone cam. Sometimes it moves to another view. Very confusing. Imho, x-plane nailed it with its simplicity.

1 Like

Yet we still don’t have a solid official answer on this one…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

exactly. the FSX camera is simple and intuitive. so was the replay /flight recording. Why couldn’t these things just be kept remotely similar to how they always have been?

1 Like

It is a well understood meaning but I don’t think you would ever hear that in conversation. It’s more a mathematical term and precisely describes what the camera is doing for that option.

… but, I also agree the camera system is a nightmare to use! Someone was telling me an xbox controller works well for working the camera.

We (//42) are the creator of ChasePlane, the go-to camera system for FSX and P3D.

Since day 1 after release we have been asking Asobo/Microsoft to create a camera API so that 3rd party developers have the ability to enhance the experience.

With the full force of the community, we need to make them realize that something like a camera API would make everyone’s experience so much better.

Please take some time and vote this wish up: Fix / Support Camera API in SimConnect

2 Likes

no,they will not,i think they are very very satisfact about the camera system they design,no mom will hate her baby ,in some Q&A ,it looks like they think the camera system is so perfect,i think they really need to play their game with this ridiculous camera system ,they do not willing to creat the camera api and they do not fix bugs or improve the camera system,i have no words to this,for TWO years,what Asobo thinking about?

1 Like

Agree. Since each aircraft external camera is different from one another, it would be nice for the game to remember the same camera spot where each aircraft is left at for the next map.

1 Like

chaseplane is too much better!