The sim has NEVER looked and performed so well

As far as the base program, not much.

The autopilot works in XP11 and is a bit iffy in FS 2020. FS 2020 is drop-dead gorgeous at low-level VFR whereas XP11 sucks.

XP11 loads quicker and is FAR smoother with less $$ hardware.

XP11 can be used to log IFR flights (with a spendy upgrade to both the flight controls and software) which is something FS 2020 can’t do…at least not yet.

XP can be used with multiple monitors without the stretched/skewed views FS 2020 has. This will be taken care of in a future release of FS 2020…so I’ve read.

If a person uses both programs (outside of “fanboy” mode) you’ll find the weakness and strengths of both after a few hours of use.

I like using both, but a few people seem to have a problem with that. It’s like a bunch of “Ford vs. Chevy” guys arguing over who has the best small block V8. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, look, they found something! Did you read this thread? This guy is just crazily moving his head left and right to prove his point. But that has nothing to do with simming. Asobo has said from the start that a 30%performance drop is to be expected when panning. That’s part of the new way that they render the scenery. A small issue that you easily get used to and totally evaporates against the stunning gains in performance otherwise.
The popping in of objects has to do with the way they handle LOD now. This has to be specified better in the scenery now. Default LOD works but results in popping. So we’ll see updates of scenery coming in the next few months. And then this issue is also gone.
Hope you’ll enjoy flying soon again!

1 Like

As far as the base program, not much.

Exactly, and those fancy add-ons we use have nothing to do with the base program, so why would they make the difference between what is a “game” and a “simulator”? I am aware of the differences between licensing, but the truth is many people are using “simulator vs. game” argument to assess its realism, which has nothing to do with licensing.

I have X-Plane and P3D too, which I absolutely enjoy using, but even after flying more than 2000 hours on both, I simply do not see any major thing that makes MSFS significantly less realistic than the other two as a base platform. It’s not X-Plane or P3D as a base platform that brings the realism, it’s the add-ons like PMDG, FSLabs, FlyJSim, …

It always has been like that, what’s different now? If as a base platform there is not much difference (as you also said), why is one so much less realistic than the other?

1 Like

So according to you, one bluescreen in over a year and all hell’s about to break loose?

My God!

That’s fine. I’m enjoying flying in MSFS 10X more than I do in X-Plane. That might be the opposite for you. But the question remains, Who the F cares when you can have BOTH?

Sometimes, I want to fly some complex approaches and need all my systems working and sometimes I just want to pretend I’m in a Redbull race. I like having the option of doing both.

Why are people so eager to put down one over the other when competition is GOOD for the consumer and so is choice.

3 Likes

There’s so many things wrong with this statement it’s not even worth addressing.

2 Likes

Yah the statement in itself is contradicting. However, for such a drastic update, I do lower my expectations to having some minor glitches (luckily, I haven’t really experienced them), it’s been a very smooth experience for me (did take 2 hours to update 60gb worth of data). It’s been even a smoother flying experience, my GOD is it running smooth as butter (Locked 60 nearly everywhere, for me at least).

1 Like

Well done Asobo impressive - terrain and clouds look much better and the more you use the sim it gets faster meu loading wise - wow great job

3 Likes

If you’re getting bluescreens, you need to sort out your hardware and/or driver issues.

6 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with enjoying one more than the other. I enjoy FS 2020 over XP11 for VFR. But it is a bit silly getting upset anytime a “weakness” of FS 2020 is brought up. Say anything less than positive and you’ve committed blasphemy.

MSFS crashing is one thing… Blue screen is a whole other thing.

Just trying to help out.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve decided to start blocking people. People are nuts in their expectations.

I come here for pleasant discourse and to see what’s new, and there’s just so much negativity of people expecting real life. If they’re that excited for ultimate realism, they should go get their license, or at least some training.

4 Likes

MSFS has never taxed the GPU like it does now so hard to compare to before. I didn’t have Blue screens before and I don’t have them now. Many are enjoying their sim update.

It would be cause for concern if everyone or even a majority of the people were having issues that you are in such that it can be related to a software issue. Clearly, you got other issues that need to be sorted out if you’re getting BSODs.

Have your tried uninstall and clean reinstall of GPU drivers? What temps are you running on the GPU? the new update keeps the GPU at near 100% usage, cards are going to run hotter than before.

2 Likes

The expectations some people have is nuts. The others who scream the loudest, usually they are the ones who fail to follow instructions, have a messy community and modified/linked files and then when it doesn’t go right, they come crying. Typical PICNIC situations.

for those that don’t know. PICNIC. Problem in Chair, Not in Computer.

4 Likes

I’m very pleased with the performance of SU5. I fly on a 25" @ 240Hz and my FPS are fluid, no stutters and my settings are high/ultra.

So far, so good.

3 Likes

Flying from KOFF to KDPA right now. So far no problems as it is a night flight. Lets see what happens when the day comes.
But the Moon is nice.

and big frame rates with no scenery to render! (night time) :slight_smile:

Yup, the frame rate surely will go down when the day comes as I run MSFS2020 on a 2070S. That’s for sure.

But the moon is still nice tho.

We are on the right path. A big FPS stock in our pockets in preparation for complex airliners to come. To me this SU5 is a convincing step forward.

4 Likes

My CPU is a ryzen 5 3400g. I’ve used the developer mode to check the FPS and before the update both my cpu and gpu numbers were around 25-30 at Heathrow with FPS of around 20-25. Since the update the number by the GPU is now 1-2 which is great but the CPU number is 40-45 which obviously isn’t great. I thought this update was meant to improve the CPU mainly. Just wondering if anything I’ve not done right.