The sim has NEVER looked and performed so well

Whether it’s their fault or yours MSFS is possibly stressing your PC past any point it’s been taken to before. Every patch mentions the fixing of memory leaks but despite the many complaints on here and Steam etc. there are still many millions that aren’t complaining, at least not about crashes.

Thank you Ju1ius2416. I can’t believe how excited people are about the sim being neutered. Its very weird. It is in no way a bad game but in VR it is now just a normal experience when before I would constantly find myself amazed. I want that feeling back.

1 Like

I know what you’re saying but MSFS is under continual development there is always going to be something that disagrees with someone’s set up and that’s probably why they recommend undoing those clocks. Personally I would ease back at least until major performance tweaks such as this one are largely a thing of the past.

I must admit they aren’t taking any baby steps, this was a full on, in your face, brakes off update that caught even me by surprise with an uplift of around 110-120% on minimal 720p @ 100% settings, albeit with scandalous popping in, culling and unfinished textures.

Try flying in an area without photogrammetry and not high end satellite coverage. It used to not look bad. Now it looks like generic ground textures from say xplane with little to no detail

1 Like

Thanks for confirming that xplane is no better :rofl:

Xplane is a good sim. It simulates well and id say exceed that in terms of systems and nav functionality. You can do simulated approaches and IFR flight. Its still pretty good if you devote the time and space to orthophotos. This sim was great for VFR flying but now it looks as though they removed a lot of satellite. imagery for a lite green texture that looks washed out and terrible. They advertised go fly and find your house, now you cant because everything looks generic.

very happy with update and performing great on Windows 11

4 Likes

And yet, you cannot get this game to work properly. Specs are all meaningless, the issues you are experiencing are probably software, just not the software you’re thinking of.

I went to fly in London today,it was pretty amazing,even if in rainy condition. Should have taken a few screenies

Not on my rig. Sorry, not fanboying in any way, I’m just not getting that. Ground textures look better than they ever have in every place/situation I’ve tried, and I’ve put a LOT of hours in and visited a lot of different areas both with and with out PG since the update.

Clearly you and quite a few others are having big issues with the sim. The majority aren’t. I hope they fix whatever has borked it for you asap. I’m sure they will figure it out soon.

2 Likes

Lol… there were endless reports of freezes and GPU usage dropping to zero before SU5! It was an extremely common problem for as long as I’ve been playing (since Feb)… where have you been?

4 Likes

Guys how about we turn it down a notch.
The reason for the different opinions is quite obvious in my opinion.
If you had a PC with low specs you would love SU5 as you would get significant performance boost and your graphics might even improve.

On the other hand if you were already getting 45 to 60 FPS on ultra before, you would dislike the patch. You are getting more performance you do not really need and a graphics nerf. I hope people would stop denying there is no nerf. For us playing on ultra before, it is a huge step down.

People saying they are going back to X-Plane are just as annoying as People stating, that there is no downgrade and everything is perfect.

The solution is quite simple in my opinion. Reintroduce the visuals we had before, but give us the option to turn it down if someone prefers performance above visuals. Win-win situation for everybody.

4 Likes

Yeah my Ultra 1440p performance went from 60 FPS to just on 100 FPS. A pretty stunning achievement by Asobo and congrats.

My graphics however are nerfed.

I actually do not think the “graphics nerf on SDR screens” and the “performance optimisation” are particularly related. In fact I strongly suspect the graphics nerf on SDR and the optimisations are totally unconnected.

Now aside from optimising, one thing they DID do was fix the really bad implementation of HDR for HDR screens and HDR televisions. (well for HDR10 at least, those people with 400 nit HDR400 screens may still have issues) By all accounts HDR10 graphics on big TVs are better than they ever were.

HOWEVER as a side effect of this wonderful and much needed improvement of the graphics on HDR screens and TVs they seemed to have really messed up the color gamut and dynamic range for people on SDR screens.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Disappointed in Sim Update 5

I have kept my sim vanilla. No add-ons whatsoever.
Maybe this is why I find the sim still performs amazingly. I personally can’t even see what’s wrong with the graphics since the update?
I only fly the default Beach Baron and I am totally satisfied with a sim that I once only dreamed of but never thought I would get one day.

The posts in this topic are becoming personal and fractious. This is a friendly moderator warning to please stay on topic and please stay civil

It is understandable that many folks are not happy with the latest changes.

Thanks for your understanding

4 Likes

Yea, there’s a substantial downgrade in textures. Maybe it’s a bug. Before everything looked realistic. Now it looks like xplane vanilla. Houses on green textures or gray textures

3 Likes

Excactly.

Besides the most taxing options for low end PCs (Terrain and Object detail) have basically been halved in the new PC build. So much of the improvements are simply less demanding graphics settings. I don’t deny other improvements, but a straight graphics downgrade also caused the FPS improvements… (which you could do before as well)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ovd239/ive_found_the_reason_why_ground_texture/

This is kind of a wired Reddit post… it’s like claiming 4K is more pixels than fullHD, duh?
Of course lod affects object and detail distance, and that texture is also affected is know since the earliest updates of fs2020 (at least Asobo managed now to make it independent of latitude.