The tradition continues

I just wanna reflections without grain… neither “dancing” shadows haha. But I have in mind that I will have to wait until summer to directX 12 fix it (I hope).

The consistent introduction of regression issues so far has been worrying.

Splitting up World and Sim updates (in theory), lowering the frequency of updates, and even “polishing” an update for a week have apparently not been effective in mitigating the risks of an update.

I hope this stabalizes over time.

1 Like

rattling the cage…love it!!! :+1:

1 Like

I think this is the most-successful update so far- with the exception of the awful download speeds and the taxiway light bug (oopsie) that’s plagued many an airport in the MSFS world.

Other than that, I actually think the 787 and 747 fly better and the new flap logic is okay too. The FBW is already patched and I’m sure the other good mods will be fixed soon too. Meanwhile, I’m awaiting/dreading the next SIM update, which will introduce a number of fixes that were left out of what was primarily a scenery update…

Yep. That is kind of strange. Maybe something to do with the vsync changes I‘ve read in animier of Posts.

lol … now this is how to build a horse as a developer (click twice to view):

5 Likes

Welcome to the world of game development. Also dont complain for free updates like this. Because you know that in the end these will be fixed and will be a wonderful sim. This simulator is cheap and I have premium deluxe… 5 years ago you’d pay over £1000 for something like this.

These updates are not free. I paid for them in advance. It’s part of the package deal.

I’m also paying additional with my emotional well-being, but that’s a different topic. :laughing:

4 Likes

Been there, done it.

You build a horse with Fortran IV and it ends up in a pet food factory gravy train (true story, sort of. I was asked to reprogram the line and refused…sort of like the Cobol horse).

1 Like

I waited till yesterday before starting the sim, scared off by comments like this and others saying it took hours to download even o fast Internet connections. I have a connection that runs at about 60mbs. It took me exactly 1 hour 10 minutes with no problems at all to get the main update. I flew the Cessna around Switzerland for a while and can say that everything was at least as good as before probably better. After I closed the sim I got a message from Microsoft to say that Windows update 21h1 was ready to install, I am an Insider. So while I was doing the sim update the next was also downloading. I installed the Windows update started the sim again and downloaded the UK update. I haven’t had any problems yet and the sim certainly looks better. The other thing is I have an old computer with a spec nothing like people on here say they have. It has an overclocked I7-2700, 16gb of memory and a gtx 970. The sim is loaded onto an Ssd. I also don’t mess around with settings like a lot of people on here appear to and I wonder if that is the reason they get problems. I should point out that I have worked for computer manufacturers from the time I was 25 until I partially retired at 70. The first computer had valves and was fed information with punch cards.

4 Likes

I have been using the built in Training module for Airbus Landing for past month and have become proficient. However, with this latest update that I installed today, as the plane approaches runway, it automatically flares without any input from me. This is very annoying! I am no longer able to land with precision.

I am all in favor of free speech but I am also in favor of property rights. This forum is private property so they have the right to censor it in any way they see fit. For example you have the right to rent out a portion of your land for someone to place a billboard. However if that billboard post material that you find objectionable you have the right to have it removed

1 Like

Ha that Cobal one applies to C as well, especially when you have a group of young developers together thinking it’s a good idea to have a friendly internal competition who can make the most efficient (read obfuscated) lines of code.

It’s a long held tradition

For example last years best one liner
int main(int b,char**i){long long n=B,a=I^n,r=(a/b&a)>>4,y=atoi(++i),_=(((a^n/b)(y>>T)|y>>S)&r)|(a^r);printf(“%.8s\n”,(char*)&_);}

What does it do? :slight_smile:

Try to go over that a year later to make changes, good luck. Of course the code was always well documented with lots of // TODO :joy:

And then check out what people can pull off in 64kb of code, this is about 0.00005% of the MSFS’s size

Sound and all included in the code

Traditions are good to continue! Just maybe not the release now, let the users find the bugs.

2 Likes

I agree completely!! Forums have turned into the (American) Wild West of old, and like the in Wild West, citizens commonly carried guns and meted out their own justice. In the forum, we shouldn’t depend on Moderators to maintain sanity. They are needed in extreme cases, but we should police our own community in regards to respect, civility, and unacceptable behavior.

I love the concept of constructive discussions. Go ahead and identify a problem, but any criticism should in general move toward analyzing the reason for the problem, raising visibility of that problem (create a votable bug thread), and/or suggesting a solution.

Dude, are you kidding me? I learned Fortran on an IBM 360 mainframe in college back in the very early 80s (punch cards). Just how old are you?

Ah, good times!

COBOL - Common Business-Oriented Language. I just call that wordy programming language, although I admit I had to take two semesters of it in college, and later taught it for micro-computers (PCs) at the same college.

Early in my career (1990’s and pre-windows) I hired a talented young programmer who fooled me into thinking he was good at C. I found out some months later he didn’t really know indirection, and he had a bunch of pointer mistakes in his code. There was no LINT back then, so they were very hard to track down since all you had to go by were the gremlins (side effect) they produced, usually crashing the program if not DOS itself.

1 Like

All I want is the left right oscillation roll fixed. Otherwise, for me, it runs great and looks great.

This isn’t some park or building in real life. This is a digital forum that isn’t owned by you and has mods. This is essentially private property and you have to obey the laws of said property. Freedom of speech does not exist here.

2 Likes

I turn 70 soon. I learned Fortran IV H for OS 360 plus some Cobol at uni in 1970 and 71 (I just sat in on the classes, as I was actually doing an applied science degree, but I was interested in computing). Later learned assembler for the Zilog Z80 and the 6502, plus variations of Basic and Pascal for teaching when object oriented languages were all the rage. Never learned any form of C or newer stuff. Taught some computer science at high school.

Edit. We used both Hollerith punch cards and mark sense cards for class exercises, but the card punchers were always occupied. I’d make heaps of mistakes in syntax and rub it out so often it smudged, so the ■■■■ reader would throw a fit and I’d have to redo the lot, lol.

1 Like